PDA

View Full Version : High Beams not working...

azazel_18_2
11-06-2006, 02:51 PM
Now my high beams don't work. I replaced the headlights and nothing. I checked at teh fusebox and my fuses were fine BUT the fuse slots for my high beams are not getting any power. If I jump power to them they light up but otherwise will not. HELP. SOmeone said something about a high beam relay. Where is it and where can I get one. I called napa and fenton honda and neither could help me!

stunna31061
11-06-2006, 03:11 PM
i got headlight problems to:banghead:

shepherd79
11-06-2006, 04:03 PM
man, you guys need to get yourself shop manual. It explains and shows everything.
as far as i know there are no headlight relays. the only relays are out there is for retracting the headlights. those relays are under your battery tray.

as far as i can tell you should check for fuses under the hood: #19, #5, #6, #7. Under the dash fuses 6,7,8,9,11,14
if your fuses check out to be OK, i would move on to combo switch.
It is one of the things that fail most of the time.

azazel_18_2
11-07-2006, 07:38 AM
That's the thing. I have the shop manual. I have replaced my combo switch and I have checked ALL of my fuses. I checked at the combo switch and it is putting out power through the high beam wires it just isn't reaching the fuse box. This is driving me NUTS

shepherd79
11-07-2006, 07:55 AM
you probably have a short somewhere.
the harness that connects to the headlight, take it apart and make sure non of the wires are broken.
when i got my car, all the wires where broken in half. it was like someone cut them, but there were no visible damage from outside.
check on that see may be that is your problem.

w261w261
11-07-2006, 09:12 AM
When you say that the power is not reaching the fuse box, did you check it at the connector where the red/blue wire (high beams) coming from the dimmer switch goes into the fuse box? That's connector c260, a 7-pin white one, on the same end of the under-dash fuse box as the high beam fuses (#'s 8 & 9). Find the correct pin hole socket on the connector where the red/blue wire enters, and check for 12v. That connector is also where power comes into the fuse box (before it goes to the dimmer switch), but that wire (from the 40amp fuse in the under-hood relay box) is white. Just be sure that you test the end of the red/blue wire.

I just noticed that there is no connector pictured coming out of the dimmer switch (to the red/blue wire), so that the only place to test for 12v must be at the end of the switch's wiring harness, at the connector to the fuse box. Are you sure that you checked the right wire for high-beam power? If there is power at the red/blue, then the next thing to do is check for power at one terminal of the #8 or #9 fuse holder. Since both high beams are out, power should either be present at #8 and #9, or not present at both. If you are getting power in at the red/blue wire, and not at the #8 or #9fuse bracket (be sure to check the upstream end, not the end headed towards the headlights), then there's a problem in the fuse box circuitry, which I find hard to believe.

PS: when you check for 12v at the red/blue wire, if it's not there, make sure you click the dimmer switch once, to make sure that one of the times it was selecting the high beam circuit. Also, make sure you have a good ground for the voltage check; find a known-good source of 12v and verify that the ground is working.

If you aren't getting 12v at the red/blue, and are getting 12v out of the 40amp fuse to the dimmer switch, maybe the switch is defective. You didn't say it was a new one. Since they fail (at least mine did) by not working with the highs but still with the lows, maybe your switch is bad. In the Honda shop manual is a test for the switch, page 25-12 in mine...let me know if you need that.

Let us know. Wiring stuff can be vexing, but it yields to methodical trouble-shooting.

azazel_18_2
11-07-2006, 12:50 PM
I have checked for 12v at the dimmer. When the lows are on they have voltage and the highs do not. When I click it to high beams the high beams have 12v and the lows do not. This of course is at the dimmer switch. I worked my way down to the connectors and the same is going on. Now when you check for 12V at the fuse box for either high beam there is nothing. Could it be the fuse box? WOuldn't be the craziest thing I ever heard. I had power steering fluid dissappearing. It wasn't leaking on the ground or anything. Replaced my pump, lines, and the rack and pinnion. Come to find out the power steering fluid was leaking out of my speed sensor into my TRANSMISSION. I have had some weird stuff happen with this car. Any otehr explanations? Also, I have checked the wiring at the headlights are they are fine. If I just 12V The the high beam fuse my high beams light right up.

w261w261
11-07-2006, 06:16 PM
Doing this online sometimes is so time-consuming. OK, when you say you "worked your way down to the connectors" do you mean the connector at the fuse box? Did you check the pin or socket there (red/blue) for 12v?
If you did, then there would seem to be two possies...the first is the connector itself is not passing the current. Could it be corroded?

This is what I would do. First, I would check for continuity between the appropriate pin or socket on the fusebox-side of the connector half and the "upstream" post of the fuse bracket (take the fuse out). Your multimeter prob has a continuity tester, or you can make one w/ a 9v battery, a bulb and a couple of wires. If you have continuity there, then it would seem like the connector is the culprit. You can scrape the insulation off a small section of the red/blue wire, and with the connector plugged in, test for continuity between the wire and the fuse post. If you have good power through the dimmer switch down to the fuse box connector, then it has to be either the circuit in the fuse box or the connector.