PDA

View Full Version : Hello, an intro

irondragon013
11-06-2006, 06:47 PM
Hi y'all. Just thought I would introduce my self. I'm Steven fron Augusta Ga and am a complete noob to cars in general but have learned a lot just from reading this forum. My parents got me an 89 accord LXI with an automatic:deal: . I hope to fix this car up and get some better power out of the old a20 engine. The trasmission needs to be replaced as it shakes violently if you try to accelerate form a dead start in first:thumbdn: . So I use the 2nd gear on the shifter like its a manual. My dad used to be a machanic and will be helping me not to kill my car when I work on it:chainsaw:

russiankid
11-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Hi y'all. Just thought I would introduce my self. I'm Steven fron Augusta Ga and am a complete noob to cars in general but have learned a lot just from reading this forum. My parents got me an 89 accord LXI with an automatic:deal: . I hope to fix this car up and get some better power out of the old a20 engine. The trasmission needs to be replaced as it shakes violently if you try to accelerate form a dead start in first:thumbdn: . So I use the 2nd gear on the shifter like its a manual. My dad used to be a machanic and will be helping me not to kill my car when I work on it:chainsaw::welcome: Try doing fluid change in your tranny. New engine mounts will help with the viabration or shakes as you mentioned.

MessyHonda
11-06-2006, 06:57 PM
:welcome: sounds like you got a nice project car....i say its time to do a 5 speed swap so all your mods wont blow up the automatic....when you have time...post some pics:thumbup:

irondragon013
11-06-2006, 07:28 PM
I don't think the trnny swap will be a posibility for me. I have to pay for all the parts myself. Also time is an issue with my dad and me as work takes my weekends and school during the week. I have thought about this. If there was a way to do it in the least expensive way posible please tell me. The car has had its fluids changed and we have considered the mounts to be part of the list of things needed on this car. The car looks great but I can't get pics due to not having a digital camera.

Steven

Pico
11-06-2006, 09:11 PM
:welcome:

ghettogeddy
11-06-2006, 09:34 PM
I don't think the trnny swap will be a posibility for me. I have to pay for all the parts myself. Also time is an issue with my dad and me as work takes my weekends and school during the week. I have thought about this. If there was a way to do it in the least expensive way posible please tell me. The car has had its fluids changed and we have considered the mounts to be part of the list of things needed on this car. The car looks great but I can't get pics due to not having a digital camera.
Steven
trannys arent hard ive takin mine off once before to do the clutch and flywheel and i have to do it agin to put a new one on witch i got for 50 shipped u just have to be patient and wait for the deal to coem by

RamThis
11-06-2006, 10:01 PM
No no no, DO NOT change the fluid in it until you are ready to rebuild the tranny. On an older car, if the tranny was not flushed like it was supposed to be every 30K miles, and it has over about 90K on the original fluid, DO NOT CHANGE IT!!!!! The friction properties of the old fluid VS the new fluid are so different that the clutches will do nothing but slip and render your car a lawn ornament rather than transportation. I worked at three different lube and tune stations about five years ago doing state inspections and all the maintenance flushes, and when we had a car come in over 90K miles asking for a flush, they had to sign a waiver that if the flush caused problems with their tranny (barring us leaving a hose loose or the pan bolts loose and it losing all its fluid or something dumb like that), that we were not liable for it because of the risk involved. Only time they did not have to sign a waiver is if they were previous customers who had already had regular flushes done at our stores before and we knew it was safe to do the flush.

Just a warning if you cannot get to fixing the tranny right in the near future and have been told to flush it......

Also welcome to 3geez, hope you have good luck getting your car fixed up just how you like it!

ghettogeddy
11-06-2006, 10:10 PM
No no no, DO NOT change the fluid in it until you are ready to rebuild the tranny. On an older car, if the tranny was not flushed like it was supposed to be every 30K miles, and it has over about 90K on the original fluid, DO NOT CHANGE IT!!!!! The friction properties of the old fluid VS the new fluid are so different that the clutches will do nothing but slip and render your car a lawn ornament rather than transportation. I worked at three different lube and tune stations about five years ago doing state inspections and all the maintenance flushes, and when we had a car come in over 90K miles asking for a flush, they had to sign a waiver that if the flush caused problems with their tranny (barring us leaving a hose loose or the pan bolts loose and it losing all its fluid or something dumb like that), that we were not liable for it because of the risk involved. Only time they did not have to sign a waiver is if they were previous customers who had already had regular flushes done at our stores before and we knew it was safe to do the flush.
Just a warning if you cannot get to fixing the tranny right in the near future and have been told to flush it......
Also welcome to 3geez, hope you have good luck getting your car fixed up just how you like it!
thats prolly what happend to mine

Civic Accord Honda
11-06-2006, 10:16 PM
Hi Hi

snoopyloopy
11-06-2006, 10:56 PM

thanks for the tip. i was going to try and change my fluids soon in my tranny and i would've seriously been :wtf: because i really have a feeling it's the original fluid.

oh, and hi to the new member.

1ajs
11-06-2006, 11:24 PM
:welcome: irondragon013 (http://3geez.com/forum/member.php?u=9143)
pic up a cheap 100$ digital at circut city or somthing like that
good luck with your 3gee and have fun

mkymonkey
11-07-2006, 04:12 AM

Jasonf860
11-07-2006, 04:58 AM
Hmm, My car had at least 110k on the tranny fluid. I changed it out and it shifts and runs better than it ever did! I have all the service records for the car from the last owner who bought it at 100k and there are none for the tranny fluid. If changing the fluid kills your tranny, then it was time to rebuild it anyway.

:welcome: BTW!

Tomisimo
11-07-2006, 05:19 AM
hmmm.... i dint know thet. so i chenget mi fluid on a trany for about 2-3 weeks ago. trany has runed smoother yes, but if its a broblem what we can do?

Oooo... hi to our new Member :welcome:

Legend_master
11-07-2006, 07:17 AM
:welcome: if you end up having to change the tranny it would be cheaper to go with a 5speed, but that all comes down to how much the junkyard charges near you for parts. Good luck and use the search function to figure out the vibration problem.

irondragon013
11-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the note on the fluid. It looks like the person before did the fluids as it was very clean when we checked it. Also it seems there is no lack of junk yards in my area. I called around and found queit a few places that had the auto trasmission from $100 to $350. Need to find out about the manuals though. My car has about 287,000 miles.

Is this a complete list of what I need: (from http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102 )

Manual Transmission
Manual transmission mount
Shifter imitation leather boot
Shift linkage
Clutch cable
Flywheel
Driver’s side axle
Clutch pedal, springs, and switch
Brake pedal (manual ones are smaller)
(Whole pedal box highly recommended)
LX, LXi, and SEi came with cruise. pedals bolt to the brake booster
Gauge cluster (I want to get the one with no P, N, D, lights)
Make sure you get a new clutch
Clutch number is 22105-PH4-A01
Get a new release bearing (www.nopionline.com) unless clutch kit comes with one.
Resurface the flywheel

Do you have an idea how much this will cost?

BITESIZE
11-07-2006, 12:37 PM
:welcome: Welcome, and I'm your personal Light Emitting Diode Whore. Feel free to buy cool stuff from me. :welcome:

frantik
11-07-2006, 01:24 PM

irondragon013
11-07-2006, 04:45 PM
Well scratch the tranny swap:thumbdn: My dad says he won't do it. He said if I want a manual I have to buy another car. I even said I would pay for everything. Well I guess I'll keep this one running till I can buy a third gen with a manual. Maybe get something with 2 doors instead of 4:) . But this means I still won't do stuff to this car. But there is a list for what needs to be done:

Rack and pinion
Tie rod ends
Trasmission (keep it auto)

Thats just starters.

Steven

89l_x_i
11-07-2006, 07:50 PM
With that many miles its really not worth doing a manual swap. Whatever the swap could cost, you could use that money plus sell your current accord and you could buy a lower mileage manual accord.