PDA

View Full Version : Axle won't come out

Toneloc5145
11-07-2006, 03:48 PM
Right now I'm changing my passenger side c.v. axle on the car. I got everything disconnected and I'm trying to get the axle to come out of the transmission housing, but the thing won't budge. There's about 1/2 inch of separation between the bell housing and the inner cv boot, so theres room to pry, but prying doesnt do anything. I tried pulling on it, pushing off with my legs, the thing just does not want to move. Has anybody else had this problem before. How did you get it out.

The car is a Manual btw. And its not in gear. And when I turn the steering wheel, the axle doesnt move, which tells me that nothing is connected.

AccordB20A
11-07-2006, 04:05 PM
what about the other end. is it stick on something stopping it frm coming out further.. usually brake lines like geting in the way. use a big screwdriver between the cv and the gearbox and pry the crap out of it. allways works for me

usually when i change shit like that i seperate it at the inner cv..leave the cv in the gearbox so u dnt gta drain the oil, cut the band on the boot pull the axle out and keep the bearings in a safe place.

nskforlife
11-07-2006, 04:07 PM
i dont know man, but my passenger side needs to be replaced too, what parts did you use and where did you get them???

Toneloc5145
11-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Nothings connected to the axle itself. I followed the directions in the Haynes manual so.....I disconnected the brake line already. And I'm changing the whole axle because the outer cv boot has been ripped for about a year, and it clunks when i turn right, so I know its bad. I didnt feel like taking the whole axle apart just to change the cv joint.

Toneloc5145
11-07-2006, 05:34 PM
Well I finally got the thing out. I had my dad stop by the auto parts store on the way home and buy a pry bar. I just pryed from the bottom and it came out.

Now we need to figure out how to separated the hub from the axle. Anybody know?

88Accord-DX
11-07-2006, 06:07 PM
Are you talking about seperating the hub from the steering knuckle? If so, the hub will have to be pressed out. If you just want to pull the axle out, take off the spindle nut.

Edit- You can back the spindle nut even with the end of the axle. Then hit the end of the axle with a pretty heavy hammer. Just don't jack the end of the axle up. That works ok if you don't have an air hammer & bit to slide into the end of the axle.

Toneloc5145
11-07-2006, 06:53 PM
I'm trying to separate the axle from the steering knuckle and hub so I can put those 2 on the new axle. Isn't the spindle nut the first thing you take off when your trying to remove the axle. (the nut at the center of the axle that you take off when the cars on the ground)

88Accord-DX
11-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Yeah, spray some PB Laster down in the splines. Hit the end of the axle with a hammer. It should slide out. (just don't mess the end of the axle up)

shepherd79
11-07-2006, 07:33 PM
ma you did everything ass backwards.
when the was on the groung you should have removed the axel nut. those things can get tight. even by making them red hot with a blow torch and using impact wrench can be hard.

AccordB20A
11-07-2006, 09:55 PM
yeah those nuts are a right wanker to remove thats why ya do them 1st. and yeah bang on the end and slide it out of the hub and it shd come out perfect:)

88Accord-DX
11-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Put the axle back in the tranny, cause you'll need something to hold the axle for leverage. It takes 1 1/4" socket <or equiv. in mm>, might need an 1/2" impact hitting at over 550 lbs. of torque. There some other "shady tree" ways of doing it, just have to search for them.

AccordB20A
11-07-2006, 10:16 PM
32mm socket mate

Toneloc5145
11-08-2006, 09:18 AM
yeah those nuts are a right wanker to remove thats why ya do them 1st. and yeah bang on the end and slide it out of the hub and it shd come out perfect:)

Yeah this is what I ended up doing. I bought a "puller" from the store, and that helped, but I ended up having to bang the axle to get the hub and knuckle off of the axle. It was a pain in the ass to say the least.
But I finished last night and drove it this morning with no problems. And now my C.V. joint doesnt make any noise, so I'm happy. It actually drives a little smoother at highway speed now.

You guys were talking about that 32 mm axle nut. That was the first thing I took off when I started this. I took that off before I raised the car and took the wheel off. It was a pain to get off, I just used a breaker bar and a hammer.

i dont know man, but my passenger side needs to be replaced too, what parts did you use and where did you get them???

I got the axle from NAPA. All I had to do was take the old one out, knock out the Hub and Knuckle, and put it on the new one, and reinstall it. It cost me $120, but thats with the core charge. When I return today, I should get $60 back. Also, if your goin to do this, factor in the cost of the transmission oil, because you have to drain it out before you take out the axle. I just used regular 10w-30 motor oil.

smufguy
11-09-2006, 11:19 AM
do what i do.

remove the boot from the axle and the inner CV housing

remove the axle thru the pitch / dampening fork. NOw all thats is left is the inner cv housing stuck to the tranny.

take a flat (thick) screwdriver and wedge it between the transmission and the inner face of the CV housing and pry it out.

All the times i have done this, never have i broken a sweat trying to remove my axles.

PS: make sure the tranny is completely drained.