PDA

View Full Version : whos killed their accords engine?

AccordB20A
11-08-2006, 06:41 PM
as the title states. i wanna see if im not alone in going threw 384589 engines for my car. the 1st one that i bought the car with had overheating issues and i gave that motor to my mate. the 2nd 200$ b20a i bought from a junkyard blew up one fine day driving home at 100km/h (3000rpm). the big ends were fucked. they kept getting noiseyer and noiseyer until one day they were reallLLLLlLY noisey and it threw a leg out of bed on cyl 3 and broke cyl 4s conrod and bent the valves on 3 and 4. after that i decided to go back to an a18a just go take me threw until i got a new b20a (or my other one buily) i got it in there and hello..the carb was fucked. it ran rich as fuck and u know what im like with accord carbs i checked it out and decided to try somethings new. i bolted my b20a intake manifold onto the a18a and modded the b20a dizzy to fit and tryed it w00t it started. and went damn fast aswell. sadly that engine died to. started smoking lots and lots and used lots of oil then we got the big ends rattling problem once again so i gave up bought my f1 accord parts car and stole that b20a and has been going fine ever since....showing no signs of dieing..yet... anyways tell us yaw stories.....

excuse all the spelling mistakes

MessyHonda
11-08-2006, 06:54 PM
my mom overheated the dx it warped the head...plus the tranny started to go...so we changed both of them. 10k later the headgasket blows again....we changed it and it runs alright other than the idle

A18A
11-08-2006, 07:31 PM
i killed mine too

RamThis
11-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Killed mine, heater hose took it out. Ran basically perfect up until that time. Now I get to do a total restore on my 3Gee and put in a PGM-FI engine YIPPEE!!

AccordB20A
11-08-2006, 08:51 PM
so far i still own all of you

ilikevtecs
11-08-2006, 09:13 PM
my first motor had 250,000 on it. I didn't know at the time that the carb sucked and was dumping gas, and thining out my oil. It explains why it smoked out parking lots, plus I was getting horrible gas mileage. Now new motor has 139,000. It didn't come with a carb and my car sat for a couple months before I had enough money for it. It ran uber rich and shot little flames out at an idle and if I would step on the gas then let off it shot a huge flame(which was so bad yet so badass), so adjusted mine and now it doesn't run so rich anymore but the carb seems like it shuts off the gas when I step on it and just sucks. So if I ever get the rest of my EFI parts (eh B26KILLA, b20a86lude) maybe i could do that someday.

Deadhead
11-08-2006, 09:18 PM
I uh... tried kinda, but it still kept coming back for more...lol

I beat the piss out of that motor every day; However, I took care of maintenance and such.

Compression was 150psi straight across when i got it, and it was at 125 when I traded it in lol. Good car though, it ran better than my civic does now.

thegreatdane
11-09-2006, 12:07 PM
What oil do you use and how often do you change it and the filter?

shepherd79
11-09-2006, 01:01 PM
Nope, never killed any. I just revive them. The last 3G i got had blown engine. rebuild the engine and it runs like it was new till this day.

lostforawhile
11-09-2006, 01:20 PM
never able to destroy one,my tranny is going though,working on getting a rebuilt different post on that,have even run these a20 motors at road atlanta and tried to kill them with no luck. this is one tough ass hombre of a motor. only thing i would have liked to have seen is a factory oil cooler,the oil temp does tend to get hot at extended high rpms. that can be eaisily remidied though.

89accordex4dr
11-09-2006, 03:38 PM
threw big ends out in two a20a, shit happens lol

1ajs
11-09-2006, 03:50 PM
rcoks in the rad 3 years ago on a +30 day the motor almost died that day started smoking the falllowing winter and slowly got wores but ran perfectly fine other wise finaly swaped the motor in september... the poor old motor sits hanging from the rafters in the basement...

in 1993 the motor got beatin up... theres a chip of out the block so only one bolt on the left hand side mount... that event also chiped the cam gear witch was replaced finaly summer 05 when we changed the seals and gaskets on the head to solf the smoking prob witch did not help

the only thing to die on this car is the trany twice first time christmas of 95 in northern manitoba between leaf rapids and thompson water in the trany from that summer froze (was -50 outside) and the trany blew up in side. the 2nd time was fall 05 of old age one of the bearing seazed so it sits in the basment

mykwikcoupe
11-09-2006, 06:21 PM
ive blown up a few. had a knock in one of them and one day it stopped knocking and starte dshaking. Not sure what it was but I can take a guess. I pulled the head off and it was covered in white reidue. I bought the car with a blown head gasket so I pulled the stat and ran with a coolant system under pressure and about 1/2 full of water.

AccordEpicenter
11-09-2006, 08:11 PM
blown 2 motors. Both were spun bearing issues

halxi
11-09-2006, 08:16 PM
like deadhead, i railed mine almost daily and i still beat on it. It has 260 some odd thousand miles now, and its still beggin for more!! :rockon:

Deadhead
11-10-2006, 06:55 PM
What oil do you use and how often do you change it and the filter?

5w30 castrol GTX w/ a bosch filter. Every 3000 miles.

thegreatdane
11-11-2006, 12:05 PM
Actually I was asking wohdog, but that's ok :)

Jareds 89 LX-i
11-11-2006, 03:15 PM
None for me! :) 374,000 miles on my original motor (and tranny) and still runs like brand new... no smoke no knocks no leaks, smooth from idle all the way up, and last compression check read 199 (lowest cyl) to 203 psi (highest cyl). Sure can't compalin! :thumbup: