PDA

View Full Version : just wondering

alboy86
11-08-2006, 11:01 PM
ive got not only the carb but the honda shitomatic and to top it off i live in cali with emissions so i was wondering if i gcould build up a head new valves cam maybe have it reground and port and polish and still pass emissions just wondering :idea:

alboy86
11-08-2006, 11:08 PM
ive still got to get a full exhaust and headers then ill have I/h/e setup which should be good till i can get a hold of a good head from the jy and slowly build it up lol im a poor college kid lol

rjudgey
11-09-2006, 02:08 AM
Can he get away with using a Weber DGAS 38/38 it will pass the emissions but does he need a CARB tag or are Webers CARB tagged? You could allways move out of Cali!! Come here to U.K. land of virtually no emission laws for old bangers!! It's great don't even need a CAT or PCV or EGR systems makes life so much simpler!!

shepherd79
11-09-2006, 06:51 AM
here is the weird part about cali. if the product you installed doesn't have CARB sticker, it won't pass visual inspection.
I am not sure if weber carbs are CARB certified. Plus if you temper with OEM vacuum system, they will fail you on the spot.
So lets say you build up the head and you put performance cam in there. I am pretty sure it is not CARB certified. You may pass the visual test but on dyno test you can possibly fail.
Some one from cali with cam should tell you if it will pass or fail.
I have seen a lot of people on this board that live in cali and can't do anything because of the emissions.

gfrg88
11-09-2006, 07:06 AM
you cant get away with an aftermarket carb in cali. also make sure you keep your cat, and dont ruch to rich either...... another thing, try and run the car a little hard before you go into the smog place, that way the cat is hot and works better ;)

snoopyloopy
11-09-2006, 07:46 AM
you can get any car to pass in cali. it just costs more for some than for others. :) however, you probably shouldn't just walk up and ask if they do the "blind" discount. Ask around with your friends first who get that same discount and see where they go and maybe go down there with one of them.

gfrg88
11-09-2006, 07:57 AM
this is what you have to do. show up to the smog place. ask them to just run the car normally, you will probably fail. then ask the guy what you have to do to pass. hell tell you what to do. then just ask him how much it would cost to so that you can pass. hell prolly tell you that you have to fix it. just telll him you know that, but how much would it cost?? hell either tell you what he wants or hell just be an ass and tell you to fuk off. its worked twice when i lived out there :D

MessyHonda
11-09-2006, 08:43 AM
some members had a triflow cam stage 1 and they said they passed smog...i would not bet my life on it.....the people says you can make it pass but you will pay the extra cash...around here its like 180-250...thats why i try to keep it legal since its only like 30 bucks for a regular smog check with coupoon.

rjudgey
11-09-2006, 09:51 AM
A mild cam shouldn't really effect it that much because your still running through the stock carb which is preset, the best thing you can do really by the looks of things is to look for another car and save a whole load of agro. Try and find a SEI coupe or Hatch for lightness and stick with the FI engines in those, at least they won't notice a 4th gen map sensor or other tweeks you could do.

snoopyloopy
11-09-2006, 11:08 AM
A mild cam shouldn't really effect it that much because your still running through the stock carb which is preset, the best thing you can do really by the looks of things is to look for another car and save a whole load of agro. Try and find a SEI coupe or Hatch for lightness and stick with the FI engines in those, at least they won't notice a 4th gen map sensor or other tweeks you could do.
yeah, but the only problem with those "unseen" tweaks is that if they result in too much more fuel being dumped into your system, you'll fail for running too rich. but cali smog is pretty bogus as it is. i could have the cleanest running b20a running in my accord, but since it's a 1989 car, it'd better be from a 1989 or newer vehicle or i'll never pass.

alboy86
11-09-2006, 12:14 PM
dam smog it is crap here they should just hook it up and run it and if it passes it passes i see a lot of crapy ass cars from mexico and even with cali plates that have smoke pouring out of them i dont get how they pass but anyway i might just get an sei or lxi coupe and make that the project car this car runs really good still but im still deciding even a weber upgrade would be cool

gfrg88
11-09-2006, 12:47 PM
dam smog it is crap here they should just hook it up and run it and if it passes it passes i see a lot of crapy ass cars from mexico and even with cali plates that have smoke pouring out of them i dont get how they pass but anyway i might just get an sei or lxi coupe and make that the project car this car runs really good still but im still deciding even a weber upgrade would be cool

just do it!!!! everything on mine was not legal at all. all the emission crap was taken out, and i still had it registered :rockon:

MessyHonda
11-09-2006, 12:51 PM
just do it!!!! everything on mine was not legal at all. all the emission crap was taken out, and i still had it registered :rockon:

cuanto te costo? :lol:

gfrg88
11-09-2006, 01:03 PM
cuanto te costo? :lol:

100 :bandance:

MessyHonda
11-09-2006, 01:04 PM
100 :bandance:

i should go get it smoged in LA then....i paid close to 80 bucks just to pass my dx...legit style tho

Honda_Quaalude86
11-21-2006, 10:05 PM
i greesed the guy who did my car 30 bucks.. he passed it. =D