PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum hoses: Which and where?

visionguru
11-09-2006, 03:56 PM
I'm going to test/replace the choke pull-off diaphragm, which require removing the air cleaner box, removing several vacuum hoses. I want to buy some vacuum hoses just in case I need them.
My question is:
(1) What is the proper specs of the vacuum hoses on a 3G?
From what I've seen from MajesticHonda, 3.5mm diameter & 4.5mm diameter?
(2) Where to buy them?
Majestic charges like $30+, which is a little steep. I went to AutoZone & AdvanceAuto, they don't seem to have hoses that exactly the same as the original.
Any help is appreciated,
Thanks,

shepherd79
11-09-2006, 04:42 PM
your best bet would be to take one out and go to advance. they don't have mm ones but they do have standart sizes. just try to match up as close as you can.

Jasonf860
11-09-2006, 04:55 PM
I'm going to test/replace the choke pull-off diaphragm, which require removing the air cleaner box, removing several vacuum hoses. I want to buy some vacuum hoses just in case I need them.
My question is:
(1) What is the proper specs of the vacuum hoses on a 3G?
From what I've seen from MajesticHonda, 3.5mm diameter & 4.5mm diameter?
(2) Where to buy them?
Majestic charges like $30+, which is a little steep. I went to AutoZone & AdvanceAuto, they don't seem to have hoses that exactly the same as the original.
Any help is appreciated,
Thanks,
You don't need to fully take the aircleaner off to replace the choke pull-off. just unbolt it and prop it up with a 2x4. then you have full access to everything. I just changed mine out a week ago doing it this way.

visionguru
11-09-2006, 11:03 PM
your best bet would be to take one out and go to advance. they don't have mm ones but they do have standart sizes. just try to match up as close as you can.

I did bought some 5/32" vacuum tubes from AdvanceAuto. The are labeled as Vacuum and Windshield washer tubing, which are noticably softer than the original ones. Guess I could use them, at least temperarily.

visionguru
11-09-2006, 11:15 PM
You don't need to fully take the aircleaner off to replace the choke pull-off. just unbolt it and prop it up with a 2x4. then you have full access to everything. I just changed mine out a week ago doing it this way.

Thanks for the tip.

I just replaced the hot air controller diaphragm, which is really simple. However, even for this, the vacuum tube is virtually impossible to be taken off. I pulled, twisted.... finally had to use a knife to cut it off carefully, and replaced with new tubes.

In my impression, some of the carb vacuum connectors are plastic. To avoid damaging those, I may have to do the same thing if the vacuum tubes need to be removed. 18 years, those rubber stuff are not very flexible at all.

I plan to replace the choke pull-off diaphragm hoping to correct the following problem: When weather is cold, after a cold start, the idle is rough, and black smokes from the tail pipe. In summer, there is no such problem. From what I've read here, it seems pointing to the choke pull-off. After noticing the Hot Air controller is leaky, it's a safe bet that one or more diaphragm may reached the end of their lives.

Did you replace the choke pull-off diaphragm to correct a similar issue?

A20A1
11-12-2006, 10:34 AM
I did bought some 5/32" vacuum tubes from AdvanceAuto. The are labeled as Vacuum and Windshield washer tubing, which are noticably softer than the original ones. Guess I could use them, at least temperarily.

Those are great, they have thicker walls to them which keeps them from collapsing and becoming a restriction to creating vacuum where it needs to be.