PDA

View Full Version : Engine cuts out on acceleration

ProfileTrader
11-10-2006, 12:27 PM
Okay - I tried to do a search but could not discern if the answers were applicable. Here's the problem:

Engine starts fine 98% of the time (occasionally has diffculty after it has been run for a while).

The real problem is this - It cuts out then back in upon accelertation. The whole car jerks hard when this happens. It does this whether the car is cold or hot. Also just recently it occasionally cuts out and almost stalls when I accelerate away from a stopped position (say at a light) where the car has just been idleing.

The car is an 1989 LXi Coupe, 5 spd manual, w/ 96,500 miles.

Any ideas on what I can do, replace to fix this. It obviously is getting worse.
I will say thanks in advance for any help.

ghettogeddy
11-10-2006, 12:53 PM
u knwo mine was doing the same thing then the tranny went it alwas ran real smooth in neatrual but once in gear it would cut out bad but in a couple days a will know if it was the tranny

azazel_18_2
11-10-2006, 01:06 PM
A few questions. First off have you replaced any of your ignition components? Has the car sat for any matter of time? Have you ever changed the fuel filter? It could be quite a few things. My 89 sat for 6 months and when you would accelerate it would jerk your head off sometimes and sometimes it didn't. I put some seafoam in my next tank of gas and it cleared it right up. At one time I had a spark plug wire firing to the head instad of through the spark plug. Almost every time I ever pulled a spark plug wire off the boot would break. I bought some NGK plug wires and they are great. Just tell us what all you have done to the car and we chould be able to tell you what is going on. Also, if you rev the engine in neutral will the engine still cut out or does it only do it in gear?

ProfileTrader
11-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Ignition components not replaced - I beleive plugs and wires good. All injectors were replaced though.

Car has not sat. Fuel filter not replaced. I have not done anything special to the car. All stock. Plugs replaced at 75K, thermostat replaced around 75-80K. Nothing else done that would seem related. I have owned the car since 2000 and bought it from a friend with 51k on it.

If I rev the engine in neutral nothing happens - only when I accelerate in gear.

89T
11-11-2006, 07:54 AM
to me it seems like a fuel issue,fuel pump or filter.
have you checked for codes?

shepherd79
11-11-2006, 09:08 AM
if you thing that ignition companent are good and you haven't checked them you are making big mistake.
It sounds like spark plug problems. i had very simular problem, and the problem was my spark plugs. they worn out to the point where center electrode wasn't even visible.
Never say it is OK unless you know for sure.
also check the distributor car and rotor button.
all the parts are cheap and can be replaced within 1 hour.

russiankid
11-11-2006, 09:50 AM
Also replace both of your fuel filters, that would help alot.

Tomisimo
11-11-2006, 10:12 AM
I had same problem, but probebly coz it sat a long time dowing rust repairs. I have PGM-FI light on all the time since then. and it stalls. when i gas up to 3-4000rpm, the ECU drops RPM's to 900rpm.

Where do i find l.e.d thet blinks and give out code? is it on ECU it self or?

88Accord-DX
11-12-2006, 12:58 PM
I had same problem, but probebly coz it sat a long time dowing rust repairs. I have PGM-FI light on all the time since then. and it stalls. when i gas up to 3-4000rpm, the ECU drops RPM's to 900rpm.
Where do i find l.e.d thet blinks and give out code? is it on ECU it self or?
Yeah, under your seat. Look at the ECU. Not sure on this model, but some have a cycling you do with the key.

shepherd79
11-12-2006, 03:39 PM
Also replace both of your fuel filters, that would help alot.
Fuel injected cars have 1 fuel filter.

ProfileTrader
11-13-2006, 08:25 AM
I will check and replace what was recommended. The ignition cmponents I should be able to do within the next few days (Busy with work). The fuel filter, depending on difficulty I will have to see. I am not a mechanic- but somewhat inclined.

A new smptom for your expertise. After taking the car out of gear upon stopping at a light the idle shot up to about 1300-1400 RPM and then dropped down to below normal like it was about to stall, then stabilized at normal (700-750 RPM).

Thanks again for the help.

azazel_18_2
11-14-2006, 06:32 AM
It is recomended that your fuel filter being changed every 30k miles. Failure to do so could burn up your fuel pump. I'm not saying it will but it is possible. It is very easy to change the fuel filter. I would also replace the ignition components. If anything else the car may just run a little better.

person1029384756
12-31-2006, 04:28 PM
My previous 88 ex-i used to cut out exactly at 2800 rpm for a split second when excellerating. It turned out to be a faulty crank angle sensor in the distributor. No codes were ever shown.

russiankid
12-31-2006, 04:52 PM
Fuel injected cars have 1 fuel filter.
:uh: