PDA

View Full Version : smokes after seafom, at startups....

gfrg88
11-11-2006, 07:31 PM
well after i used seafom on my car i drove it around like that for two days. i changed the oil. now it takes a while for the car to start up and the rpms wont go up. i step on the gas all the way and the fuker just idles, sometimes even dies. so i have to keep it going full throttle for about a minute it slowly starts revin up. as soon as i get to 3k rpms it goes normal, but start smoking :wtf: after about a minute of smoke it stops and everythings back to normal. this didnt happen until after my oil change..... :help:

:sadwave:

shepherd79
11-11-2006, 07:40 PM
you used seafoam in the oil? that is the stupidest shit you can do to an old car. what you did was cleaned out the dirty worn out parts, so now they have a lot more clearance for the oil to get into the engine.
how many miles you got on the engine?
what color is the smoke? white, blue grey or black?
white= head gasket.
blue= oil burning through valve seals, valve guides.
grey= rings are gone. say bye bye to the engine.
black= running RICH.
it is hard to figure out if it is blue or white smoke. easiest way to tell is by smelling it. sweet smell = coolant burning.
grey and black smoke is hard to figure out too. easiest way to do is to check the cylinder compression for any leaks or low cylinder compression.

MessyHonda
11-11-2006, 08:33 PM
you used seafoam in the oil? that is the stupidest shit you can do to an old car.

:werd:

i didnt even put it on my imported JDM engine that has like 50k now. i best way to add seafoam is by the brake boaster... i put it down the carb while the car was hot and waited like 5 mins to turn it on again......il do it tomorrow to my lx-i tomorrow.

gfrg88
11-11-2006, 08:50 PM
no i didnt add it to my oil, i did it through the brake booster like im supposed too and a little tiny bit, like two cap fulls throught the dipstick, and in the gas tank too. it looks white but could be grey?? :dunno:

MessyHonda
11-11-2006, 08:56 PM
did you add more gas? did you check your plugs? check your O2 sensors....the list go on....mine stop smoking after like 20 mins of runing the car.

frantik
11-11-2006, 08:57 PM
doh.. another 3gee :Owned: by seafoam :uh:

gfrg88
11-11-2006, 08:59 PM
well this started like two days later, after the oil change. not the usual smoking, that stopped after like 10 mins...... i filled up the gas tank after putting some in there. the weird part is it only does at start up in the mornings. not all the time.....

Vanilla Sky
11-11-2006, 09:26 PM
what weight, type, and brand of oil do you use?

gfrg88
11-11-2006, 09:52 PM
what weight, type, and brand of oil do you use?

valvoline, 10w40 full synthetic w/ lucas oil stabilizer(sp?)

never had a problem before.....

forrest89sei
11-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Sounds like the seafoam cleaned it too well.

get some MaxLife 10W40 Dino oil and see if that helps!

I noticed when I ran it in my '86 Accord LX it took about 30 min of idling for the smoke to fully clear.

Good Luck

Vanilla Sky
11-11-2006, 10:30 PM
ok, sounds good, but i'd skip the lucas. i've never been a fan of additives. i'm also a big fan of mobil one instead of ANYTHING else. i'd say that royal purple or amsoil could be better, but for the price, i don't think you can beat mobil1.

my car's doing the same thing, but it's settling down. the more i drive, the less it smokes. after another oil change, i could see it gone.

88Accord-DX
11-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Seafoam also has a product called "Deep Creep" to spray down the intake manifold to clear things up.

Two days of running seafoam in the engine was a little too much time. Should be like 10-15 minutes at idle on such an old engine.

shepherd79
11-12-2006, 05:05 PM
well if you are having smoke problem first thing in the morning your valve guides are shot.
using synthetic motor oil on our engine isn't helping the motor. actually on older engines you can make it smoke faster because synthetic oil is a lot thinner and they have cleanning additives. That is how my first accord started to smoke. I switched to synthetic oil and used one of those engine flush thing.

you can try switching to regular mobil 10w40 and see what happens.

MessyHonda
11-12-2006, 05:22 PM
.il do it tomorrow to my lx-i tomorrow.

sorry to hijack...but yeah i did it to my lx-i....it only smoked for 10 secs....and nothing happen...i drove it around it just made it sound a bit raspy...kinda pissed since it did not do anything...i guess i already had a clean engine.

88Accord-DX
11-12-2006, 10:41 PM
nm.

Bass'doutLx-i
04-04-2009, 01:16 PM
I've actually used the seafoam and had the same affect, it's been blowing almost blue smoke for a month now, smells like burning oil, the smoke is so bad, but only for maybe a minute then it completely stops, and it will only do it if the engine is completely cold. I was told that it couldn't be the valve guides because they weren't going to leak like that, but that it's most likely the valve seats or something to that effect. Does that sound true to anyone? also should I use this product made by mobile I think that takes out the scratches in the pistons and restore compression, it sounds risky to me, I'm usually afraid of additives.

b20bomber
04-05-2009, 05:21 PM
mine did that same shit but now it wont idle i go to stop and it dies ive went through two sets of plugs three days

Pico
04-05-2009, 05:58 PM
I've actually used the seafoam and had the same affect, it's been blowing almost blue smoke for a month now, smells like burning oil, the smoke is so bad, but only for maybe a minute then it completely stops, and it will only do it if the engine is completely cold. I was told that it couldn't be the valve guides because they weren't going to leak like that, but that it's most likely the valve seats or something to that effect. Does that sound true to anyone? also should I use this product made by mobile I think that takes out the scratches in the pistons and restore compression, it sounds risky to me, I'm usually afraid of additives.

mine did that same shit but now it wont idle i go to stop and it dies ive went through two sets of plugs three days

have to be careful using seafoam and letting it sit too long in the intake, this stuff will really clean the crap out of your engine.
I let seafoam sit for about an hour in my Legend when I had it and it worked miracles on the car passing smog test.
Unfortunately it also led to my blown head gasket problem on the Legend.
It's happened to others on the Legend forum I was on at the time, but I figured it wouldnt do that much damage, I was wrong...

b20bomber
04-06-2009, 02:46 PM
ya but mine is the 2bl i dont know how to fix it im about to swap but i would like to keep it original

gfrg88
04-12-2009, 08:57 PM
fuck!!! i never remember this happening to my car!! hahaha, what i fuken n00b i was at cars!!! lmao..