PDA

View Full Version : climate control randomly turning off

alboy86
11-12-2006, 11:48 PM
this has been going on for a while but lately its been doing it alot more whats happens is when ya start the car the little green climante contol buttons are on but when you push on of them in they go dim or turn off all the way. the rear defroster also doesnt work. the only real way to get it to work again is to turn the car off the start it back up im thinking a short somewhere maybe a ground wire? not sure soemtimes after a while of it not working the lights get brighter til they come on again is werid

dont mind my crapy typing hurt my hand surfing today lol :Owned:

checked fuses seemed ok maybe a bad connection somewhere werid how the defroster craps out too

shepherd79
11-13-2006, 06:45 AM
99.9% of the time is the connections on the boards. you have to take the switches out and resolder them.

Jasonf860
11-13-2006, 08:14 AM
99.9% of the time is the connections on the boards. you have to take the switches out and resolder them.
Not to jack the thread, but rather than post another thread I have just one question. My climate control is doing something weird too. when I put it on strictly defrost, it still comes out the floor. basically it's like defrost is the same as defrost/heat. Sound like the board connections or more like a cable or vacuum hose or something?

shepherd79
11-13-2006, 08:34 AM
well i would start with board connections. if they are not making any connections it can't send signals to a switch.

Jasonf860
11-13-2006, 08:39 AM
well i would start with board connections. if they are not making any connections it can't send signals to a switch.
Thanks. There is an 89 at the JY I have been robbing of parts. It has really low miles on it but was hit hard in the front and all down the passenger side. none of the lights in my buttons work anymore so I'm betting it's the board. I'm gonna pull the one out of this JY car this weekend and swap them.

Mac
11-13-2006, 06:17 PM
alboy86, it does sound like the connections inside the climate control. You can either take it apart and try to resolder the contacts or go to a junkyard and try your luck with another one.

My climate control is doing something weird too. when I put it on strictly defrost, it still comes out the floor. basically it's like defrost is the same as defrost/heat. Sound like the board connections or more like a cable or vacuum hose or something?

This sounds like it's not even switching when you try to change the functions. It could be a fuse. I'm not sure if it is the same on a 89 but check fuse # 5 (10 amp) in the under the dash fuse box.

alboy86
11-13-2006, 06:50 PM
:rockon: hmmm sounds like another excuse for me to take the car apart is it hard it take the control box out seems like its all one thing i might just take it a part and resolder it at the same time convert the lights inside to leds two birds with one stone

MessyHonda
11-13-2006, 07:12 PM
:rockon: hmmm sounds like another excuse for me to take the car apart is it hard it take the control box out seems like its all one thing i might just take it a part and resolder it at the same time convert the lights inside to leds two birds with one stone

lol i bet bitesize will be happy...have you seen the pics...they are just HOT...

alboy86
11-13-2006, 07:18 PM
ya im likeing the setup hes got they re pretty sweet. im gunna go to frys and see what kind of leds they got if not its off to ebay gotta get a soldier gun as well lol then take it out and soldier away might take me a few days to do so i might not have climate control lol but oh well shouldnt be too hard to do

another quick question is the switchs that need to be soldered in the box or on the back where all the wires connect to

ghettogeddy
11-13-2006, 07:50 PM
ya im likeing the setup hes got they re pretty sweet. im gunna go to frys and see what kind of leds they got if not its off to ebay gotta get a soldier gun as well lol then take it out and soldier away might take me a few days to do so i might not have climate control lol but oh well shouldnt be too hard to do
also try radio shack they have a prutty good selection of led's

alboy86
11-13-2006, 07:52 PM
gunna go tomm and see what they got

frantik
11-13-2006, 07:59 PM
that used to happen to me on my old LX once in a while.. i'd press a button the climate control and the lights would go out on it and it would stop responding. turn off the car and come back in 20 mins and it would work again :wtf:

Jasonf860
11-13-2006, 08:11 PM
This sounds like it's not even switching when you try to change the functions. It could be a fuse. I'm not sure if it is the same on a 89 but check fuse # 5 (10 amp) in the under the dash fuse box.
I'll check the fuses but every other function works perfectly. I think either the actual buttons are shot, or the control box is shot. None of the little lights that tell you it's on work anymore either. Probably a combo of both so I'll replace both.

Oldblueaccord
11-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Check the fuse that controls all that. Mine the fuse holder clips were weak and the fuse wouldnt make contact all the time so the controls would go dead. I could wiggle the fuse with my finger and it comeback on.

I think when they go dead they just default to def/heat split it seems.

Also to eliminate the rear def. switch as bad I think you can just unhook it for the time being and the heat controls should still work correctly.

wp

alboy86
11-13-2006, 08:40 PM
hmm ill try that thanks for all the help guys ill keep ya updated on the leds migt start tomm if i got time

well gave the fuse a wiggle seemed like it was in there but then again this happens pretty random

MessyHonda
11-13-2006, 08:56 PM
hmm ill try that thanks for all the help guys ill keep ya updated on the leds migt start tomm if i got time

well bitesize has alot..i think they are like 25 cents a LED...he might even ship it on a envolope...so you pay like 37 cents shipped

alboy86
11-13-2006, 09:07 PM
hmm might have to see about that pretty good deal

smufguy
11-16-2006, 09:46 AM
i have the pushbutton heater controls just laying around the house and about to be tossed in the trash. if you want, ill just mail it to you for free.

Jasonf860
11-16-2006, 09:57 AM
Check the fuse that controls all that. Mine the fuse holder clips were weak and the fuse wouldnt make contact all the time so the controls would go dead. I could wiggle the fuse with my finger and it comeback on.

I think when they go dead they just default to def/heat split it seems.

Also to eliminate the rear def. switch as bad I think you can just unhook it for the time being and the heat controls should still work correctly.

wp
Hmm, i should be replacing both the control box and the push button unit this weekend. I'll keep ya posted.

alboy86
11-16-2006, 06:47 PM
hey if your gunna toss that thing in the trash ill take it

i could convert the lights in it to led while still having a some what working one in the car

smufguy
11-18-2006, 09:40 AM
alright, then its urs, give me your address via pm and ull have it