PDA

View Full Version : FiberImages hood...

A20A3Power
09-01-2002, 09:06 PM
Ok last time this went up it got shot down...ive been talkin to one of the guys who knows the owner of Fiber Images...and since last time i got like 45 posts cuse ppl wanted the hoods, i told him about u guys, and he said they prolly wont charge for the mold if i can get more than 5-6 orders. Im gonna call them tuesday and see what i can do. In the meantime, id like to know who is serious enough to sit down and talk and try to get this thing up and going, because he was telling me that for money and a list up front, they would do it. So if any of the moderators or anyone want to discuss this, just PM me or email me at [email protected] just might happen :cool:

toastyghost
09-02-2002, 11:16 AM
What is a Fiber Image hood?

dXsquared
09-02-2002, 11:27 AM
im guessing CARBON FIBER. and how much for the hood and is it gonna be a replacement or will it have a scoop or sumthin?
Travis

2Fast_Fiero
09-02-2002, 01:24 PM
I wouldn't mind knowing this either, It would save me the time, I know how to mold Carbon Fiber, but its a time spending hobby, our hoods should be an easy process tho because they aren't rounded off like some things. But yea I would like to get in on a Carbon Fiber hood, it will save me time, and trouble. How Much?

Site
09-02-2002, 01:58 PM
Good quality stuff, seems like. I've read some good reviews of their hoods online. Check them out at http://www.fiberimages.com. If this hood is going to be priced near their others, we're probably talking about $500-$700. Carbon fiber hoods usually weigh less than 15 lbs, I think (about half what a stock hood weighs). So it gives some weight reduction, but more than that - it looks tight, especially when the light hits it. These hoods will be even more worth the $ if they are vented to let engine heat escape, although I think the carbon fiber lets heat pass through better than the stock steel hoods. Still, vented is better.

Here's a pic of an Accord hood they make:
http://www.fiberimages.com/images/products/hoods/honda/accord/9497/acrd9497al.jpg

2Fast_Fiero
09-02-2002, 02:44 PM
Either a Ram Air Carbon Fiber Hood, OR, a Reverse Hood Scoop that lets the hot air out of the hood. That is a lil harder to do, but not that much harder, It will make the hood heavier, but not by much, the Weight - Strength Ratio outnumbers every other material that the human race knows of.

A20A3Power
09-02-2002, 05:30 PM
ok thats kinda gettin ahead of things....first of all fiber images only makes OEM replacement hoods...if you want your own scoops, you'll have to buy the carbon fiber scoop and cut out the hood to fit it. Secondly, only companies like VIS make show hoods with the vents and things...those can get just as heavy as your stock hood because bondo and using a fiberboard skeleton underneath to support it is a cheaper way. Fiber Images has a fiberglass skeleton, which is what keeps the hood weighing around 15 lbs. the Stock accord hood is easy to do because its pretty straight with only that bend at the end to make......

iiviasterp
09-02-2002, 07:10 PM
i would love to have a carbon fiber hood.... we should get something rollin.... if i could i would give up my car for a mold... but im in ohio.. but keep me posted... if a carbon fiber hood is made...i want one BAD!!

jjlj86
09-02-2002, 08:13 PM
How much would they cost a peice. Cuase i think it would look cool if I had one on my car.

2Fast_Fiero
09-02-2002, 09:41 PM
A20A3, what were talking about isn't gettin ahead of ourselves, you buy a carbon fiber hood not for the look, you buy it for the weight loss, its a performance upgrade, but a stock hood will still keep all that HOT ASS air inside the engine compartment, if you want to get some performance out of your engine, get rid of the heat, I know How-To do Carbon Fiber Fabrication, but I dont have the patience, and the shop to do it, I used to when I learned, but now I don't, If I can get a shop to start doing Carbon Fiber Fabrication, I will make Aftermarket Carbon Fiber Hoods, MADE FOR High Performance Cars. I was just sayin, not like I wanna strike out, give me a good price for a hood, and I'll more then likely buy one. But in other words I was just stating a fact for the people that want performance, not looks.

guaynabo89
09-03-2002, 02:09 PM
I'd be interested in a real carbon fiber hood. As long as it fits just as good as O.E.M.

iiviasterp
09-03-2002, 02:50 PM
i garuntee that atleast 75% of the people runnin around these days with carbon fiber hoods didnt get them for their performance, they got them for their looks. i dont understand how you say people only by them for high performance cars. carbon fiber hoods look sick , and thats the reason i would get one..... and im sure thats the reason others would too

2Fast_Fiero
09-03-2002, 04:26 PM
No, I didn't say that, I said that buying them for thier looks is the stupid reason, carbon fiber hoods are a great weight upgrade, takes what 35lbs or more off of your car??? and if your gonna get a new hood, why not get something that helps the engine out by leting out all the heat in the engine compartment???

shepherd79
09-03-2002, 05:04 PM
i would get one if it is not expensive. the reason i want to get carbon fiber is because i don't want to find the hood with no damage to it and paint it. i would rather buy carbon fiber wich is ok about the looks, plus it is lighter too which is a big plus for our cars.

A20A3Power
09-03-2002, 05:50 PM
ok im gonna see if i can have my boy talk to albert, who owns fiberimages (he has a personal relationship with him which is a plus) and see how much the hoods would be...

88WhiteLX-i
09-03-2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by MSIAccord_LXi
Either a Ram Air Carbon Fiber Hood, OR, a Reverse Hood Scoop that lets the hot air out of the hood. That is a lil harder to do, but not that much harder, It will make the hood heavier, but not by much, the Weight - Strength Ratio outnumbers every other material that the human race knows of.

Bullshit, spider silk is waaaaaay stronger than carbon-fiber. They say if that there was a spider that was big enough to produce a strand of silk that was as thick as a #2 pencil, then that strand would be able to stop a something like a 727 in mid-flight.

BoredRec
09-03-2002, 11:14 PM
I wanna hear more about these hoods. I HATE my hood on my car...it's cheap and sounds tinny when you shut it (aftermarket crap). A new hood would be nice.

2Fast_Fiero
09-04-2002, 12:11 AM
Allright, screw the Carbon Fiber, I wan't a "Spyder Silk" hood, This is gonna be tight, <Drives to the car wash, and gets stuck to his hood> Shit, well I guess the "Spyder Silk" didn't work like you had hoped, back to the REAL SHIT called Carbon Fiber. Like I said, Carbon Fiber's Weight to Strength Ratio is above ALL recorces that us "HUMANS" have. Unless your driving with 8 legs and 8 eyes, then I'll shut up, but until then, Carbon Fiber is the best until we can come up with some alien metal shit from space that weighs like 0lbs and could take the pounding of a misile.

2Fast_Fiero
09-04-2002, 12:13 AM
Another thing, Who on gods green earth would want to stop a 747 in mid flight? Isn't that kind of dumb if I may say so....???

Chubs87Accord
09-04-2002, 12:19 AM
LMAO

SiR
09-04-2002, 10:15 AM
88WhiteLX-i was just trying to prove a point with the airliner(B727). What he said about the strength is true with silk, we just dont have the technology to reproduce it with the same compound as spiders make.

I do like the reverse hood scoop idea that MSIAccord_LXi brought up. I would buy one only if had reverse hood scoop on it.

Rooz

88WhiteLX-i
09-04-2002, 05:30 PM
Allright, screw the Carbon Fiber, I wan't a "Spyder Silk" hood, This is gonna be tight, <Drives to the car wash, and gets stuck to his hood> Shit, well I guess the "Spyder Silk" didn't work like you had hoped, back to the REAL SHIT called Carbon Fiber. Like I said, Carbon Fiber's Weight to Strength Ratio is above ALL recorces that us "HUMANS" have. Unless your driving with 8 legs and 8 eyes, then I'll shut up, but until then, Carbon Fiber is the best until we can come up with some alien metal shit from space that weighs like 0lbs and could take the pounding of a misile.

No, you said and I quote, " the Weight - Strength Ratio outnumbers every other material that the human race knows of." So obviously everyone knows about spider silk and the strength. Excuse me the ENTIRE HUMAN RACE. LOL :rolleyes:

QUOTE....
Another thing, Who on gods green earth would want to stop a 747 in mid flight? Isn't that kind of dumb if I may say so....???

That would be dumb trying to stop a 747 in midflight, that's why I was using that as an analogy. Some people, like yourself, need colorful pictures and examples of how things work because if we didn't you just wouldn't understand simple and obvious things. LOL :huh: So go back to the window that you were licking and put your helmet back on to keep yourself from smashing your THICK head. :)

tyne89
09-05-2002, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by 88WhiteLX-i

No, you said and I quote, " the Weight - Strength Ratio outnumbers every other material that the human race knows of." So obviously everyone knows about spider silk and the strength. Excuse me the ENTIRE HUMAN RACE. LOL :rolleyes:

QUOTE....

That would be dumb trying to stop a 747 in midflight, that's why I was using that as an analogy. Some people, like yourself, need colorful pictures and examples of how things work because if we didn't you just wouldn't understand simple and obvious things. LOL :huh: So go back to the window that you were licking and put your helmet back on to keep yourself from smashing your THICK head. :)

your missing his point that you were being a JACKASS.
your comment about spider silk was USELESS to anyone as you cant make a hood out of it. who care if its alittle stronger than carbon fiber if were talking about car hoods? your comment was unconstructive and only to spite someone. your exactly what this board doesnt need.

88WhiteLX-i
09-05-2002, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by tyne89

your missing his point that you were being a JACKASS.
your comment about spider silk was USELESS to anyone as you cant make a hood out of it. who care if its alittle stronger than carbon fiber if were talking about car hoods? your comment was unconstructive and only to spite someone. your exactly what this board doesnt need.

He said something that was completely FALSE, and it was MY right to correct him. He stated that there was nothing stronger, that the human race knows of, than carbon-fiber. That is a completely FALSE statement. My comment was constructive because I enlightened people into the fact that carbon-fiber isn't the strongest material "that the human race knows of". I mean you can live happily in your world were everyone states incorrect FACTS, but on this board if someone says a FALSE statement IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT ABOUT, then it's the DUTY of every other member on the board to correct it. So MR.N00b with less than 100 posts, :chainsaw:

LOVE,
88WhiteLX-i :wave:

87Hybrid
09-05-2002, 08:19 PM
I believe that carbon-kevelar is stronger Thats why the military makes their helmets out of it.

BoredRec
09-06-2002, 12:21 AM
Actually, I think 3M's Gorilla Snot is the strongest stuff on earth. Have you ever tried taking apart something that is glued with that stuff?

Site
09-06-2002, 04:27 AM
Sorry to break away from the "this is stronger than that - o yeah? you're stupid for thinking that" discussion. But . . . is there any news regarding the availability of these hoods yet?
:cool:

carotman
09-06-2002, 04:55 AM
My dad is stronger

87Hybrid
09-06-2002, 09:40 AM
Tell him a good deodorant soap will take care of that PEEEUUUU

JSid7
09-06-2002, 10:57 AM
IM IN

sanjay
09-06-2002, 09:18 PM
hahahahahahaahaha,
Quote from Carotman:
My dad is stronger

heheheeheheh :)

SQ is the SQUAD
09-07-2002, 08:53 PM
when you talk to him ask him how much would it run me to get a hood molded in carbon fiber, rember i have the prelude convershon so ill need a custom mold

theBeline
09-09-2002, 05:55 AM
OK, I will go for it, but I need a price, HOW MUCH!?

theBeline
09-09-2002, 06:41 AM
Also, It would be crazy to strike up a deal with someone who fabricates eurohoods (clear hoods) aswell.. :-)

Eric89Carb.
09-09-2002, 06:28 PM
:stick: Is there be a crbondiber hood or not i still waiting till someone bring one out.:mad: I live in maui and it is very hard to get anything here because everbody likes newer car i think i the only 89 accord that is nice on maui the rest is all bust so what is the price of the hood dude I want one badly:angry: :banghead:

A20A3Power
09-11-2002, 03:21 PM
no word yet....ive been calling every day, and i keep getting the busy signal or bein put on hold. Ima try to go thru my friend now and see if he can get me a price up front (as soon as he gets back from vacation which should be within the next few days)

2Fast_Fiero
09-12-2002, 01:16 AM
Allright, A20A3, ask them if they will make me a Spyder Silk hood, I don't want the Carbon Fiber one!

88WhiteLX-i
09-12-2002, 07:42 PM
Allright, A20A3, ask them if they will make me a Spyder Silk hood, I don't want the Carbon Fiber one!

And then you'd be the :gay:'st kid in town... Well if you're not already. LOL :lol

B16 ED9
09-12-2002, 08:23 PM
if it comes back that they'd do it, but it'd have to be some kind of group buy thing, i'm pretty sure that i can get one