PDA

View Full Version : trunk mount battery install Q's

mykwikcoupe
11-13-2006, 04:48 PM
So Im gonna install the optima redtop in my trunk. Itll be either fiberglassed into the right side trunk wall or under the false floor where the spare usually goes. I havent made any measurements as this is just in the planning stage but I wondering what others have done and if there is any info you can give.

First the questions. The stock negative battery cable runs down to the tranny. Im guessing thats because it mounts solidly to the car in like 3 places. plus its a huge chunk-o-metal. Im wondering where the best place to mount the negative cable is. I was thinking under one of the strut mount bolts. Since the car is a unibody, there really isnt a chassis ground. Its all the same here.

Second question. Ill be mounting a ford soleniod under the rear deck for the starter wire. This way i dont have the possibility of anything bad happening. Im not sure if its NHRA requirement as well. From that location do I run through the car under the carpet or just get out of the trunk under the car and run the rest of the way under the car tied to various things. Keep in mind Ill have a constant power for the main fuse anyways. I know Ill need to run through the firewall but thats cool because I have to run a bunch of wires for the turbo stuff and obd1 upgrade.

Third question. If i place it in the rear right corner of the trunk, Ill cut the factory surround and fiberglass it in so it looks as stock as possible. I m wondering if anyone has pics of this type of an install already. If it will fit the most desirable location for me is under the spare tire cover. Has anyone put one in there just yet. Im going to be biulding another nice setup in the trunk so if needed Ill biuld a false floor. Id like the jl amps to be flush mounted in the spare tire area also and Ill biuld a couple fiberglass boxes to house the 10w7d3 jl subs. 1 on each corner behind the wheel wells. Should look pretty sick when its all done.

Thanks in advance. i did search but nothing jumped out at me.

ghettogeddy
11-13-2006, 05:05 PM
i dotn thing a red top or even a stock style battery will fit under there i had a truck box for a 10 and it dident fit it was about 1/2 inch above the board also i like the idea of a fiberglassed housing of the the right just get ride of the little pocket and mount it there should look pritty good

LiTtLe xOx BitT
11-14-2006, 12:50 AM
If you have a trunk mounted battery im pretty sure it has to have a shut off switch to be able to run it at the track.

bobafett
11-14-2006, 11:42 AM
i have the lame summit aluminum box with an optima red top in the right rear corner of my hatch...

first off the box is huge! but here is what i did:

ran the ground wire to the inside of my frame rail (totally hidden, good chassis ground) i just tapped out the exhuast heat sheild threads to fit a fatty 3/8" bolt! :)

my power wire i just ran up the side of the car and put out through the firewall. then i installed a 250amp circuit breaker with fat power wire going directly to the fuse box and to the starter. I dont think i have enough grounds built, my only ground is from the valve cover to the chassis, and the injector wiring to the intake manifold. :)

but yes most tracks REQUIRE an EXTERNAL kill switch that will disable the battery and it must be clearly labeled how to turn the system OFF. I plan on building this into my license plate surround peice and making a jumper to use it at the track, but remove the switch from the system when i am not at the track (so people cannot disable my alarm by flipping the switch)

gp02a0083
11-14-2006, 03:47 PM
hmmm kind like the idea i have for the battery in the corner side where the jack and some other sutff goes in a hatchie