PDA

View Full Version : Car died & now it wont start (kinda long)

biggene
11-14-2006, 06:25 AM
Ok,
I was on the way to work this morning when my 88 accord (carbed) died on me, it was kind of sputtering before this like it wasnt getting good spark or something, then when I took off from a red light it had no power at all, was spitting and bucking, and died. I got it into a gas station parking lot, and it wouldnt start. The motor still turns over freely, but doesnt sound like its firing at all. I disconnected the fuel line from the carb and made sure it was getting gas, then I checked #4 plug wire and it is getting good spark.
This is my daily driver and my ONLY way to work, so please help asap if you can. I am going to a buddies this afternoon after work, he went and picked the car up with his trailer today, and work on it over there. Anyone have any ideas as to what I can check??

Thanks for your help,
Gene

Jasonf860
11-14-2006, 06:28 AM
Timing belt is my guess. It may have jumped a tooth or two and that is why you were loosing power, then it completely failed.

biggene
11-14-2006, 06:34 AM
Timing belt is my guess. It may have jumped a tooth or two and that is why you were loosing power, then it completely failed.

I just replaced it less than 20k miles ago though. I dont want to have to go thru all that bulls*** of replacing that thing again man, cause that is a suck job to have to do. I will pull the timing cover off and check it tonight when I get to my buddies shop though

Gene

A18A
11-14-2006, 06:39 AM
you should check your other plugs, might be a weak dizzy or cap, also check for major vacuum leaks of some sort, pour a tiny bit of fuel straight down the carb and see if it starts then. if it goes, then you most likely have a carb problem

Jasonf860
11-14-2006, 06:39 AM
Hopefully that is not it, but just my guess. That sounds exactly like what happened to my VW fox and it was the timing belt. good luck though cause if it is, you may have a lot of repairs to do.

biggene
11-14-2006, 06:47 AM
you should check your other plugs, might be a weak dizzy or cap, also check for major vacuum leaks of some sort, pour a tiny bit of fuel straight down the carb and see if it starts then. if it goes, then you most likely have a carb problem
Tried pouring the gas I pumped into a pepsi bottle while checking the fuel pump directly into the carb and no difference. I am gonna do a complete tune-up tonight when I get there, and I will check the timing belt also. I will post up as soon as I do and see if I have any more clues.
Gene

biggene
11-14-2006, 05:43 PM
OK,

Its fixed :rockon: I changed dist cap, rotor, wires plugs and air filter and its running like a top. I did notice that the gap between the rotor and dist cap seemed to be fairly large. I guess it wasnt getting enough spark to keep the car running this morning.

Thanks for the help,
Gene

Jasonf860
11-14-2006, 06:37 PM
good job getting to the root of the problem. Congrats on getting her up and going again.