PDA

View Full Version : ecu blinks 6 times, and only shows CEL sometimes?

stocklxi
11-14-2006, 10:26 AM
like title says, it threw the ECT code, which i have no idea where it would be, any suggestions?

stocklxi
11-14-2006, 11:06 AM
might i add the car idles at like 1500 when the CEL actually comes on. helppp

shepherd79
11-14-2006, 11:11 AM
the sensor is on thermostat housing.
i think it is the one farthest from the thermostat.
make sure the wires didn't brake off on the plug. it is very common on our cars.

bobafett
11-14-2006, 11:18 AM
yep assuming your sensor isnt bad, i am 99% sure it is your wiring. I had to rewire BOTH of my sensors on the thermostat housing because the wiring got brittle and had snapped (inside the rubber boot, so i couldnt see it)

personally I bought tiny spade connectors and just pushed them onto the male spades coming off of the sensor.

its nice because I stripped back the loom and got to a softer point in the wire where i spliced in, so now i am not worried.

some of these sensors are just on\off, they either have continuity or they dont.

stocklxi
11-14-2006, 07:21 PM
can you post any pics of where this is? i dont have a haynes manual or anything.

bobafett
11-15-2006, 12:50 AM
follow your upper radiator hose from the front of the engine bay all the way back, to where it installs on the thermostat housing.

that thermostat housing will have several sensors plugged into it. the sensors you are concerned with are the two large ones pointing more or less vertical. I dont recall which one is code 6, but i had to replace the wiring to both of mine. and after doing so, my code 6 went away completely. :D

stocklxi
11-29-2006, 09:56 PM
hm well hopefully it is the wiring, cuz i dont even know what those are called and how much those will run me to replace so ill check on em soon.

bobafett
11-30-2006, 08:54 AM
the sensors themselves ran me about $100 for both of them, from honda. they will probably be substantially less expensive if you just get them from napa or something...

AZmike
11-30-2006, 11:06 AM
My TW sensor did fail (coolant temp, whatever you want to call it). A generic replacement got rid of my code 6 for about $20. The wiring to the sensor also broke, but that happened a few years a few years before the sensor went bad.