PDA

View Full Version : Trunk Leak....

Rockcord
11-15-2006, 01:14 AM
good lord my trunk is leaking like an elephant taking a crap... its soo bad and I have no idea where to look to find the leak, i open it up and the water is on the roof of the trunk, Im worried for my 2 amps and subs... :'(

A18A
11-15-2006, 01:30 AM
well first of all, remove your amp and sub :) the places were water would usually get in is around the seals were it could be rusting. but since you say its on the roof of the trunk, might just be condensation

Jasonf860
11-15-2006, 04:08 AM
I'd bet your tail lights are leaking. That would be the classic Honda leak point. if it's on your trunklid, it's most likely condensation like Overdosed said.

mkymonkey
11-15-2006, 05:48 AM
mine was leaking from the rubber seals around the edge of the trunk. not on the lid but on the body itself. so i just went to the jy and got a new one, 15 bucks on the 50% sales here in CA. sooo look for that first. mine was just torn

MessyHonda
11-15-2006, 08:43 AM
my dx was rear ended and the body shop did not do a good job because it leaks....cheak all the seals and the tail light seals....when i replaced mine i started geting watter so i just put some sylicone on the gasket and screwed it down harder.

Legend_master
11-15-2006, 09:16 AM
my dx was rear ended and the body shop did not do a good job because it leaks....cheak all the seals and the tail light seals....when i replaced mine i started geting watter so i just put some sylicone on the gasket and screwed it down harder.

My taillights leaked also and I used silicone to fix my problem as well. Silicone sealant FTW.

2ndGenGuy
11-15-2006, 10:53 PM
My tailight gaskets were shot in my car. I found out because they were leaking. Too bad you can't just buy new ones anywhere. I just bought some waterproof foam, traced the old shot gaskets onto the foam, cut it with an x-acto knife, and sealed the crap out of them with silicone. Problem solved! Also, make sure your trunk is adjusted nice and tightly. Should take care of that.

offthahook
11-19-2006, 07:56 PM
My tailight gaskets were shot in my car. I found out because they were leaking. Too bad you can't just buy new ones anywhere. I just bought some waterproof foam, traced the old shot gaskets onto the foam, cut it with an x-acto knife, and sealed the crap out of them with silicone. Problem solved! Also, make sure your trunk is adjusted nice and tightly. Should take care of that.

Dude, don't tell me Honda has discontinued those taillight seals, too! They always fail and fall apart on the older stuff! Now we have to fab these up? Honda just needs to buy up all older Hondas that are daily drivers (from people who don't appreciate them) and sell us used stuff off them. For some reason, everything is on backorder or discontinued and Honda just isn't making anymore parts for these old cars. WTF Honda? Support your product, even if it is old and there aren't too many out there

2ndGenGuy
11-19-2006, 08:34 PM
Dude, don't tell me Honda has discontinued those taillight seals, too! They always fail and fall apart on the older stuff! Now we have to fab these up? Honda just needs to buy up all older Hondas that are daily drivers (from people who don't appreciate them) and sell us used stuff off them. For some reason, everything is on backorder or discontinued and Honda just isn't making anymore parts for these old cars. WTF Honda? Support your product, even if it is old and there aren't too many out there

No doubt. It seems like it woudnl't be that expensive to make a run of some simple little parts for thier cars, such as gaskets, seals and things that make the car stay together. So far this is what I've found is out of production for Accords up to '85.

Door and fender mouldings.
Tail light gaskets.
Chrome trim.
Door seals.
Hatch struts.
Wheel covers (a few dealers can get them, but they're $100 each!)
Clips are about $3-$7 each, and many can't be purchased seperately anymore.

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

Although, I do see TONS of taillights on eBay for these cars. I wonder if they might come with new gaskets. I would sure hope so, but it's uncertain. I should email the sellers of the auctions.

offthahook
11-19-2006, 09:33 PM
No doubt. It seems like it woudnl't be that expensive to make a run of some simple little parts for thier cars, such as gaskets, seals and things that make the car stay together. So far this is what I've found is out of production for Accords up to '85.

Door and fender mouldings.
Tail light gaskets.
Chrome trim.
Door seals.
Hatch struts.
Wheel covers (a few dealers can get them, but they're $100 each!)
Clips are about $3-$7 each, and many can't be purchased seperately anymore.

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

Although, I do see TONS of taillights on eBay for these cars. I wonder if they might come with new gaskets. I would sure hope so, but it's uncertain. I should email the sellers of the auctions.

The list goes on and on and on. About the only things available are parts that fit a wide range of years and/or models. Like 76-93 years applications. I rarely find anything new from Honda (as you know), and it is usually priced SO high. What's a trip is the parts guy usually tells me my request is on national backorder. Attention Honda: Ramp up some fucking replacement parts production already!! Not all of us roll 2 year old cars. I can't imagine all manufacturers have this crappy product support. I mean everything is discontinued! I know they only have to support a car for like 20 years, but it's like Honda's inventory is gone after 20 years and one day.

I doubt those ebay taillights come with gaskets, especially if they are aftermarket ones. Aftermarket stuff is usually pretty barebones-- no trim pieces, emblems, etc. Maybe they do and you'll get lucky, but I would be surprised. I guess they assume you can reuse your old ones. Come on Honda, you make mad bank off parts prices. Fire up some prouction and maybe take a hit on the profit... get with the vendors and make some shit!

denhonda
11-20-2006, 10:16 AM
I used to work in a Mercedes dealership and like BMW, parts supply for older cars is excellent. We had a 1973 Merc SL in for a resto some years ago & EVERYTHING was available for it. We had a 1967 SL in too & whatever parts were needed could be got within 2 days just like modern Merc stuff.

Oddly enough I was on the phone to Honda parts a couple of weeks ago for tail lamp gaskets & they told me they could get me a n/s gasket at 21.00 pounds ($43 approx?) and the O/S (the side I need) is unavailable.

I'll need to salvage a gasket off one of my spare lamps I think... Anyone know if I bought the N/S gasket from Honda, if it could be turned around & used as an O/S one?

white ricer
11-20-2006, 10:42 AM
my tails leaked an put a fat ring of silicon around them and never had a problem, unless they needed removed..

offthahook
11-20-2006, 03:39 PM
tAnyone know if I bought the N/S gasket from Honda, if it could be turned around & used as an O/S one?

I doubt it. The gasket has a thin track in it to get really snug on your taillight outer edges. I guess it might work, but it wouldn't be airtight like it needs to be. I don't even know if the shape would be right. I think cutting a piece of foam to fit perfectly is your best bet, since you want that area water and air tight!

2ndGenGuy
11-20-2006, 04:30 PM
I doubt it. The gasket has a thin track in it to get really snug on your taillight outer edges. I guess it might work, but it wouldn't be airtight like it needs to be. I don't even know if the shape would be right. I think cutting a piece of foam to fit perfectly is your best bet, since you want that area water and air tight!

They're not the same exact shape. There is hole in one side for the Keyhole and around that it's shaped differently. That keyhole is in the taillight.

Vindicted_Reprise
02-08-2010, 12:17 AM
Anyone ever track down someone who distributes the tail light seals?