PDA

View Full Version : stubborn door panel

vongiese
11-15-2006, 10:02 AM
Trying to remove my drivers door panel so I can figure out why the window isn't working on my 89 SE-i 4 door. Removed all screws and clips - panel is free except for the top lip that tucks in behind the window. It won't come out of there!!!! The window is stuck in the up position, and that's not helping. Anyone ran into this before? Any remedies?
thanks

MessyHonda
11-15-2006, 10:33 AM
they are like 4-5 clips on the top part of the panel...you will have to push the pannel up so the clips release it.

Jasonf860
11-15-2006, 10:42 AM
I use a thin flathead screwdriver to provide some upward leverage on those clips by the window. They are a real pain.Slide the screwdriver in from one end of the panel and pry up. do the same on the otherside. This should help.

vongiese
11-15-2006, 11:08 AM
I put some good pressure on it with no luck and didn't want to damage a prefect panel.....
the front edge of this panel is tucked under the interior mirror mount cover, and I tried prying the back end (by the door lock knob) with a scredriver - but it wouldn't budge...
i think if the window were down - thre's more room for the top of the panel to wiggles towards to window and free the clips....

Listen2myBASS
11-15-2006, 11:20 AM
:huh: dude, just use some strength and pull upwards, it wont damage it!

vongiese
11-15-2006, 04:03 PM
I'll give it another try - when I did put some strength to it- it was not giving to the point the panel was starting to bend - you know that fibler board backing aint that strong..... those clips must be rusted....
thanks

Jasonf860
11-15-2006, 04:52 PM
Mine was really hard to get off too. Like i said, i used the screwdriver trick and lots of tugging and prying. GL!

conozo
11-15-2006, 05:45 PM
its really easy to get off, you just have to do it right. The panel pulls straight up but you can start pulling on the opposite end of the mirror, so your basically rotating it out of the window toward the mirror. Keep the bottom of the panel as close to the door as possible without it catching on the window crank if you have one and the door handle.

It may help to push the panel toward the outside of the car as you pull up. Its one of those things that you can struggle with forever then it just falls off when you give up.

guaynabo89
11-15-2006, 07:15 PM
exactly

at the same time you pull up you must also pull it away from the crome trim beause the door panel is tucked in behind it

Civic Accord Honda
11-15-2006, 10:37 PM
just take the pece by the mirror off thats what i did and ya just paull it out to you and up at the same time

Jasonf860
11-16-2006, 04:19 AM
exactly

at the same time you pull up you must also pull it away from the crome trim beause the door panel is tucked in behind it
Hmm, mine came off with the chrome piece....

MessyHonda
11-16-2006, 06:54 AM
Hmm, mine came off with the chrome piece....

same here...but we have sedans he has a hatch that have longer door panels

guaynabo89
11-16-2006, 04:15 PM
either way is fine

I just like leaving the crome trim there since you dont have to play with the clips when puttig it back in

VTEC_Inside
11-16-2006, 06:42 PM
They are a bitch, but they do come off.

I've had both mine off to install power locks. I went to pull the drivers side off again recently and I couldn't for the life of me remember how I got it off the first time. Luckily I didn't actually need to get it off.

Jasonf860
11-16-2006, 07:52 PM
same here...but we have sedans he has a hatch that have longer door panels
Ah.. longer panels... i know my sedan one was a b1tch, I can only imagine how a sedan or hatch panel would suck!

vongiese
11-17-2006, 08:11 AM
Thanks alot - I'll give it another shot - but not be til after t-day.....
I might remove that mirror mount cover for more room to tug.
then I can fiure out my window problem...and might have to look into the auto-up option...

Jasonf860
11-17-2006, 09:12 AM
Thanks alot - I'll give it another shot - but not be til after t-day.....
I might remove that mirror mount cover for more room to tug.
then I can fiure out my window problem...and might have to look into the auto-up option...
Auto-up is a sweet optoin. While you have the panel off make sure your control box has all six pins otherwise it will need to be replaced with one that does in order to make that feature active. If you need any help, just PM me. I just did the auto-up not long ago so it's still fresh.

vongiese
11-17-2006, 12:04 PM
thanks for the offer - I'll check into it and see what I have for pins.

vongiese
12-03-2006, 07:42 PM
I use a thin flathead screwdriver to provide some upward leverage on those clips by the window. They are a real pain.Slide the screwdriver in from one end of the panel and pry up. do the same on the otherside. This should help.

That did the trick - I don't think it's ever been off....took some wrangling....
now I've got to replace my power window control box. Will be loking for 6 pin. Might be able to take it out of my kids 87...
As usual - thanks for the help!

nskforlife
12-03-2006, 07:57 PM
come on man, you should've pulled the hammer out and started beating away.
:thumbdn:

MessyHonda
12-04-2006, 12:44 AM
come on man, you should've pulled the hammer out and started beating away.
:thumbdn:

lol....bad idea...just use your brain....if they put it on you can take it off...