PDA

View Full Version : an observation/suggestion

snoopyloopy
11-15-2006, 09:23 PM
lately, there's been a bunch of newbies (who aren't other members with a new sn) asking the same questions that have been asked thousands of times already. but instead of flaming them and coming out with our ":bandance:" and ":lock:" smilies asap, i say we start something kind of like they have on another forum that i use, www.dsmtalk.com. they have a whole special section for the newbies where they can ask all the questions in a guaranteed flame-free environment. (also, all posts in that forum don't go toward the post cout on dsmtalk.) now not to say this is makes a newbie thread in a regular section fair game for as much fire as we got. instead, it would simply be moved over to the newbie forum or locked. i think this would provide somewhat of a break to all of us smacking our foreheads every day when we go look at the performance section every day.

2ndGenGuy
11-15-2006, 09:26 PM
I think thats a great idea. It keeps people from leaving, or getting scared off, who might otherwise have something great to contribute once they learn about thier cars.

MessyHonda
11-15-2006, 09:34 PM
lol....its like kindergarden were the teachers hold your hand...

Pico
11-15-2006, 09:37 PM
excellent suggestion like 2ndgenguy said it would help keep the intimidation factor down..

(woot finally 1000post)

MessyHonda
11-15-2006, 09:42 PM
excellent suggestion like 2ndgenguy said it would help keep the intimidation factor down..

(woot finally 1000post)

lol took you a while...lol congrats.:bandance:

A18A
11-15-2006, 09:46 PM
like CB7Tuner o.O except without the 30-posts-till-you-can-post-in-regular-forums :P

mkymonkey
11-15-2006, 09:59 PM
that would be cool, but then how do we stop the ricer comments as well?

ghettogeddy
11-15-2006, 10:05 PM
its life deal with it lol

but this is def a good idea, and we can also make it maditory to post in the introduction thread before making a new thread somewere else , it kind of cathes ou off gard when a noob just starts posting there first post in the middle of a large topic

snoopyloopy
11-15-2006, 10:08 PM
its life deal with it lol
but this is def a good idea, and we can also make it maditory to post in the introduction thread before making a new thread somewere else , it kind of cathes ou off gard when a noob just starts posting there first post in the middle of a large topic
lol....that's how i got my big break.

and ftr, i'm talking more about performance and visual mod threads. basically the kid who shows up and says "what can i buy and put on this weekend?" not the people who want actual technical help. although some of those topics are deader than the trojan horse as well.

A18A
11-15-2006, 10:11 PM
we gotta have something to laugh at :)

2ndGenGuy
11-15-2006, 10:18 PM
lol....that's how i got my big break.

and ftr, i'm talking more about performance and visual mod threads. basically the kid who shows up and says "what can i buy and put on this weekend?" not the people who want actual technical help. although some of those topics are deader than the trojan horse as well.

Yeah. Maybe if we're nice to them, they'll wise up quickly with just a simple word or two of enouragement. After all, we've all got something in common with noobs. We all drive Accords and love them. The more people we can get into them, the bigger the community gets and the more connections we get for parts in various areas.

What if some noob is some kid who is a friend of a friend who owns some shop somewhere who would make us some sweet aftermarket parts? Hmm? Wouldn't it suck to piss that kid off and have him toss his 3g into the gutter?

88Accord-DX
11-16-2006, 12:00 AM
I can see a 90 day membership & 50 post count for people on the forum to be able to trust someone to actually "buy something from". Even though that is not a real solution, but a start to be able for some trust established on our part.

I seen something about post whoring & deleting type thread thing on that forum. Why not delete all the post that postwhoring is going on here & what not if that is the case? If your going to clean up threads that you have favor to, clean the whole forum up. Don't favor cleaning up threads to what you favor towards. (which I notice) I don't know, just don't make sense to me. But then again, who the hell I am I to say anything?

2oodoor
11-16-2006, 09:04 AM
I can see a 90 day membership & 50 post count for people on the forum to be able to trust someone to actually "buy something from". Even though that is not a real solution, but a start to be able for some trust established on our part.
I seen something about post whoring & deleting type thread thing on that forum. Why not delete all the post that postwhoring is going on here & what not if that is the case? If your going to clean up threads that you have favor to, clean the whole forum up. Don't favor cleaning up threads to what you favor towards. (which I notice) I don't know, just don't make sense to me. But then again, who the hell I am I to say anything?
Im all for that, but really that is not a fair 'solution' to the 'pollution'
No one really ever really replied much to me when I first joined until I discovered there was an introduction section, heck I stayed in the carb tech for months But I did get quick attention and good information from some administrators, and I was able to follow certain members threads to determine if they could be 'trusted' meaning did they know what they were talking about, would I send them money for parts, would they disrespect my posts or threads, etc.. That part really was easy for me cause I reckon Im older than a lot of the people that show up here, I have learned to recognize in between the lines. Snoopy has started a really great thread and let's see what happens with it.
As for newbies, AS AN EXAMPLE yes there is one in particular this week that has not listened to a dam thing I have told them regarding a problem with his car,keeps asking the same questions, It can be easily found, the thread, rather than insulting or intimidating (2ndGenGuys words) this guy on the thread....I pm,them and have tryed to guide this person the best I can but I only have so much time ya know.. And yea ddude2uc you and I are in the same boat, who am I to say anything......
well , werd... is that the forum is being upgraded soon so maybe the boss and his staff have ideas on the subject.

snoopyloopy
11-16-2006, 09:35 PM
yeah, that part wouldn't be too much of a problem for the forum as it is now anyway since most people who are selling something have been members here for a bit. although occasionally, there is the person who comes to the forum and just posts a for-sale ad for their car in the hope that someone will rescue it from the jy.

i'm not even going to touch the post-whoring issue. i like 3geez because it's a nice community and so laid-back. i can come here and it's more like hanging out instead of trying to get info for my car per-se. oh sure, i've learned a lot, but i enjoi the site as well as a place to hang out. and part of that feeling is the post-whoring that goes on. and if by "deleting type thread" you mean dsmtalk.com rule #7, i think that could be a bit over-the-top for our forum. i don't think we have enough of a problem to warrant a rule like they have.
(for reference, dsmtalk.com rule #7 (http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/announcement.php?f=60))

7. YOU MUST post in plain, discernable, correctly spelled and capitalized English! Repeated failure to do so will result in disciplinary action. Threads that contain posts with poor grammar (regardless of whose it is) are subject to being locked.

2drSE-i
11-21-2006, 08:51 PM
i just think that rather than doing any of this maybe some of us senior members should start observing the 2 to 1 rule. for every negative thing we say (which as even i must call myself on we can be a little bitchy at times) we must say 2 postive things. I think as a whole that the forum has had alot of good suggestions lately, but none of it is really necessary if some of us had a little more personal accountability.

race12001
12-01-2006, 11:25 AM
i would like to say from the stand point of a newb this is one of the nicest forums ive been on far as welcoming people to me its like hanging out with your buddies from the shop but at other sites unless your car is realy modded you dont get no respect from them or your opion aint heard but here it doesnt matter anyone will help on the simplest question or will guide you to a thread that could help you a lot more than looking endlessly and waiting for an answer but i think you should have to have atleast 10 post in the beginer thread to post in other threads but not like just one word post like "nice" or "awsome" just to get your post count up

2oodoor
12-01-2006, 02:22 PM
i just think that rather than doing any of this maybe some of us senior members should start observing the 2 to 1 rule. for every negative thing we say (which as even i must call myself on we can be a little bitchy at times) we must say 2 postive things. I think as a whole that the forum has had alot of good suggestions lately, but none of it is really necessary if some of us had a little more personal accountability.
Strong words, well spoken

MessyHonda
12-01-2006, 07:29 PM
most of the times im a positive guy...YAY :thumbup:

88Accord-DX
12-01-2006, 11:09 PM
nevermind (must had too much to drink)