PDA

View Full Version : more brake upgrades

guaynabo89
11-16-2006, 01:38 PM
I recently swapped in some new calipers on the hatch. I got a good deal on the KVR performance 4 piston calipers and could not resist so like always I had to "MODIFY" them to fit on the caliper relocation bracket to fit over the AEM rotors. I havent driven the car yet beacuse my "great" optima battery took a crap and since I dont have the receipt nymore I have to wait for them to ship me a new one.:wtf:

Anyway since Steve inquired as to what I was doing here you go a couple of pics of the new setup.

enjoy:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/sinnedone/DSC00025-3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/sinnedone/DSC00027-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/sinnedone/DSC00021-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/sinnedone/DSC00009-1.jpg

Oh and if your looking for some good 88-89 Accord lxi sei calipers with KVR carbon kevlar pads go here http://3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56286

Im selling them :welcome:

BITESIZE
11-16-2006, 01:40 PM
I hate you! You have a sweet hatch!

Sabz5150
11-16-2006, 01:40 PM
What did you do to get those to fit and how would they fit a stock rotor?

guaynabo89
11-16-2006, 01:43 PM
they would not fit the stock rotor but....... they will fit 11" rotors so in theory you get some 11" rotors with a 4x100 bolt pattern and you could bolt them up to the accord

Sabz5150
11-16-2006, 01:51 PM
they would not fit the stock rotor but....... they will fit 11" rotors so in theory you get some 11" rotors with a 4x100 bolt pattern and you could bolt them up to the accord

Do they bolt straight to the control arm with no mods (without the magic AEM bracket)?

guaynabo89
11-16-2006, 01:58 PM
yes they do. They are the correct bolt spacing and thread pitch. but then again youd have to upgrade to 11"rotors which I think Legendmaster said he got some for like an 02 civic or so. Backspacing might be an issue but could probably easily be solved with spacers.

Now if you wanted them to fit your stock rotor youd probably have to do something like this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/sinnedone/DSC000061.jpg

Which is what i had to do to get them to fit correctly on the bracket for the 12 inch aem rotors. if I wouldnt have modified the caliper I would have had to upgrade to 13 inch rotors and those are just overkill, not to mention expensive for some good ones.

Oh and BITESIZE dont hate the pleayer hate the game! lol

Sabz5150
11-16-2006, 02:01 PM
yes they do. They are the correct bolt spacing and thread pitch. but then again youd have to upgrade to 11"rotors which I think Legendmaster said he got some for like an 02 civic or so. Backspacing might be an issue but could probably easily be solved with spacers.
Now if you wanted them to fit your stock rotor youd probably have to do something like this
Which is what i had to do to get them to fit correctly on the bracket for the 12 inch aem rotors. if I wouldnt have modified the caliper I would have had to upgrade to 13 inch rotors and those are just overkill, not to mention expensive for some good ones.
Oh and BITESIZE dont hate the pleayer hate the game! lol

Excellent! What application were these originally for again? :)

guaynabo89
11-16-2006, 02:06 PM
go herehttp://kvrperformance.com/store/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=hc532&x=5&y=5

you can see which ones they bolt straight up to because it only costs 695 for the calipers as oposed to 1595 for the calipers, brackets. 13" rotors.

there might be other part numbers that will bolt straight up to the accord rotor no problem but you'd probably hve to call and ask.

88LXi68
11-16-2006, 02:10 PM
hmmmmm...I may have to do this and use the civic rotor so I can keep 15" wheels.

Thanks Dennis, now I can add this to my winter project list that includes revalved Konis.

I gotta stop spending money on my damn Integra so I can keep up with you!

guaynabo89
11-16-2006, 02:16 PM
hey steve ask them how much it wold cost to make em fullbodied coilovers?

they were supposed to check for me and they never got back to me and just revelved shortened them and sent them back oh and externally adjustable of course.

yeah I totally forgot about these calipers until I came across them again in an old magezine. They are made specifically for Honda/Acuras. As far as I can tell are just as good quality as wildwood, ssbc and the like.

When I was bleeding the brakes you could definately tell how much more flex the stock calipers have compared to these types. It just stayed in place. PLus it has four 1 1/2" pistons which is always good.

MessyHonda
11-16-2006, 04:29 PM
damn Dennis...good job on the clean instalation....and homie sabz...sticky this biznatch

military mase
11-16-2006, 05:12 PM
:jaw: :bow: killer upgrade. so how does it perform / anything you have to tweak on the brakes. Good job bro.

mkymonkey
11-16-2006, 05:20 PM
im with bitesize...i hate you

ghettogeddy
11-16-2006, 05:20 PM
so how could this be done to a lx

guaynabo89
11-16-2006, 06:20 PM
I havent driven the car yet cause the battery is bad(damn optimas) I should be getting a new one in a couple of days straight from the factory and drive the car to break in the new pads.

Wow whats with the non love man I feel not wanted! lol

In theory if you upgrade to 88-89 lxi/sei front hubs and use 11"rotors then you could bolt these on
just theory as of now though until someone actually tries it.

Legend_master
11-16-2006, 06:44 PM
Hold on guys there is some misinformation here. The 11" rotors are from a Legend, but they have been redrilled to 4x100. The bigger civic rotors are for the rear and they are 10.2. If someone can get there hands on some 89-90 Corrado 11" 4x100 rotors and see how they fit on our hubs that could be a possibility for direct bolt on. Also you have to be careful which model of integra you get the calipers for, because the Type R has factory 11" rotors and the GSR has factory 10.2" rotors. Theoretically if you buy a whole kit for a GSR it should bolt right onto the 89 hub. The only thing might be the spacing on the hub. Also guaynabo89 those calipers are beautiful good job on the upgrade.

guaynabo89
11-16-2006, 07:00 PM
yup there we go clarified by legendmaster.

Youd have to call and ask if they make a caliper for gsr's and civic's. If not you can modify them to fit the accord hub since the have enough material to do so.

Legend_master
11-16-2006, 07:03 PM
yup there we go clarified by legendmaster.
Youd have to call and ask if they make a caliper for gsr's and civic's. If not you can modify them to fit the accord hub since the have enough material to do so.

Civics might be different. In fact I believe they are, the civic guys have to run integra suspention to get bigger brakes. So just look for 94-00 GSR

speedpenguin
11-16-2006, 08:18 PM
Damn, that's a hell of an upgrade!

Nice.

Hash_man_Se_i
11-16-2006, 11:29 PM
Sweeeeet.... Very nice upgrade, and a really good price too.

Nice find.

88LXi68
11-17-2006, 12:34 PM
Hold on guys there is some misinformation here. The 11" rotors are from a Legend, but they have been redrilled to 4x100. The bigger civic rotors are for the rear and they are 10.2. If someone can get there hands on some 89-90 Corrado 11" 4x100 rotors and see how they fit on our hubs that could be a possibility for direct bolt on. Also you have to be careful which model of integra you get the calipers for, because the Type R has factory 11" rotors and the GSR has factory 10.2" rotors. Theoretically if you buy a whole kit for a GSR it should bolt right onto the 89 hub. The only thing might be the spacing on the hub. Also guaynabo89 those calipers are beautiful good job on the upgrade.

Hey Legend,
On that website you had in your big brake thread says that Fastbrakes offers Corrado 11" rotors for Civics and integras and they are already 4x100

http://fastbrakes.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=371

So if I have this straight, using these and a spacer would work with Type R calipers or these KVR calipers??

Legend_master
11-17-2006, 01:04 PM
Hey Legend,
On that website you had in your big brake thread says that Fastbrakes offers Corrado 11" rotors for Civics and integras and they are already 4x100
http://fastbrakes.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=371
So if I have this straight, using these and a spacer would work with Type R calipers or these KVR calipers??

See that is the dilemma, I think they are not as deep as the legend rotors. This mean you might have to space out the caliper instead of the rotor. I am not sure on how they fit. In all reality they might just bolt together with the type R caliper and not even need spacing. I searched a bunch of junkyards for corrado rotors so I could try this and haven't found anything.

88LXi68
11-17-2006, 01:50 PM
See that is the dilemma, I think they are not as deep as the legend rotors. This mean you might have to space out the caliper instead of the rotor. I am not sure on how they fit. In all reality they might just bolt together with the type R caliper and not even need spacing. I searched a bunch of junkyards for corrado rotors so I could try this and haven't found anything.

I guess it is my turn to experiment...

BITESIZE
11-17-2006, 01:51 PM
im with bitesize...i hate you

:welcome: :Owned:

88LXi68
11-17-2006, 03:27 PM

You are correct about the Corrado rotors. I just did some research on Napa.com

Corrado rotors have a height of 1.540" and thickness when new .865"
Legend rotors have a height of 2.01" and thickness when new .825"
Accord rotors have a height of 2.01" and thickness when new .825"

So even though the Corrado has a thicker disc the hub portion is more "shallow" So I guess the Corrado disc would require a spacer. That seemed to be the consenus in the thread over in suspension forum

guaynabo89
11-17-2006, 03:35 PM
:welcome: :Owned:

stop hatin'

I dont know about you guys but I have acess to local machinists that would make redriling a set of rotors rather cheap. Wellaround 50 dollars or so. Thats not a bad deal to be able to upgrade to bigger rotors and calipers.

Legend how much did you pay for your rotors?

Seve check to see what size the type r rotor and the rsx is. That will also answer the spacing question for the caliper. To see if its spaced correctly for the accord.

Legend_master
11-17-2006, 05:31 PM
stop hatin'
I dont know about you guys but I have acess to local machinists that would make redriling a set of rotors rather cheap. Wellaround 50 dollars or so. Thats not a bad deal to be able to upgrade to bigger rotors and calipers.
Legend how much did you pay for your rotors?
Seve check to see what size the type r rotor and the rsx is. That will also answer the spacing question for the caliper. To see if its spaced correctly for the accord.

I paid 100 shipped for both. That included 2 rotors, redrilling, and shipping.

You are correct about the Corrado rotors. I just did some research on Napa.com

Corrado rotors have a height of 1.540" and thickness when new .865"
Legend rotors have a height of 2.01" and thickness when new .825"
Accord rotors have a height of 2.01" and thickness when new .825"

So even though the Corrado has a thicker disc the hub portion is more "shallow" So I guess the Corrado disc would require a spacer. That seemed to be the consenus in the thread over in suspension forum

The thing is that the legend rotors are to deep for our hubs, that is why I had to use washers to space it out. So the corrado rotor might jsut go on withoug spacing. If you check out my caliper thread, someone posted a picture of the corrado rotors.

RamThis
11-17-2006, 09:03 PM
Civics might be different. In fact I believe they are, the civic guys have to run integra suspention to get bigger brakes. So just look for 94-00 GSR

Just stay the hell away from my driveway LOL. If I find my GSR on blocks and soon after someone posts about "finding" some GSR parts, there's gonna be hell to pay!!! :gun: LOL

Sweet caliper setup. How reliable is that modified mounting tab?? I'd be a bit worried that after cutting and such on that caliper housing, it might crack or fail in some way under a hard stop??

guaynabo89
11-18-2006, 07:46 AM
the caliperrs are fine. i had the old hole filled and the new one fits well in the mounting tabs of the caliper

guaynabo89
11-29-2006, 07:35 PM
well been driving around and theyre a hit with everyone. A nice set of red 4pots do bring alot of atention. i havent really tested them out since Im having a iacv that needs attention first. as soon as I can get some good fluid Im gonna have my whole system flushed and bled so I can break in the pads.

Tomisimo
11-29-2006, 10:22 PM
Great, 11" Setup with 4piston brake colipers. Must....

Cheeseburger
11-29-2006, 11:02 PM
holy shit thats hot!

MessyHonda
11-29-2006, 11:18 PM
well been driving around and theyre a hit with everyone. A nice set of red 4pots do bring alot of atention. i havent really tested them out since Im having a iacv that needs attention first. as soon as I can get some good fluid Im gonna have my whole system flushed and bled so I can break in the pads.

wut do ppl say?

BITESIZE
11-29-2006, 11:25 PM
[QUOTE=guaynabo89]stop hatin'
QUOTE]

I love you Guaynabo! :welcome:

Cheeseburger
11-29-2006, 11:56 PM
Just stay the hell away from my driveway LOL. If I find my GSR on blocks and soon after someone posts about "finding" some GSR parts, there's gonna be hell to pay!!! :gun: LOL
Sweet caliper setup. How reliable is that modified mounting tab?? I'd be a bit worried that after cutting and such on that caliper housing, it might crack or fail in some way under a hard stop??

ya how reliable are they?

guaynabo89
11-30-2006, 11:49 AM
people just like the way they look.

I mean its kinda unexpected to see on an old accord. mostly positive comments

and reliable. The caliper is made from machining two solid chunks of aluminum and then hoding the two halves together by bolts. Since its solid alum and not cast there is no weakpoints. if you look at this weak diaram I did youll notice that the tabs remain the same shape. While the new hole is close to the original one. remember I had that filled in (welded) and machined again so there is no reason why there would be any weakpoints.

now if there is a rotor that will fit the accord hub and is the correct spacing (ie rsx or typeR) you can just bolt this onto tthe accord hub and get the rotor redrilled to a 4x100 bolt pattern. Plus If anyone wants to try and check you can call the company and ask f they make one that is a direct bolt on for 90+integras and 92-95 civic exs and it will probaly bolt straight up to the accord with stock rotor. That is of course if My assumption is correct and that the civics and tegs use the same size rotor diameter as the accord with same offset.

But like mosty anythign that has to be made/done to the old 3rd gen Accord is going to be custom. For all the guys looking for bolt on parts You might as well give up cause theres nothing aftermarket that will fit on this car without modification. As long as all of us keep sharing information on what "kind of fits" or needs to be slightly modified to fit well be all the beter for it. Now hopefully someone will continue where I left off and fill in the leftover blanks:D

KrazyKlown
11-30-2006, 02:19 PM
They look real nice!! These old accords are a blast, the new ones are nice (and BIG) , but there is just something about these late 80's ones thats addicting.....mine will have them soon enough.

SiR
12-01-2006, 12:02 PM
Nice, very nice.

I'll just consider my calipers as a "sleeper" mod compare to yours!

EricW
12-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Those look great Dennis.

guaynabo89
12-03-2006, 09:32 AM
thank eric hopefully i'll be able to fully test em after i get my idle problem workrd out

rooz man what are you talking about. you have the only jdm dual piston calipers in the US. noone will be able to top that ;)