PDA

View Full Version : clutch slipping

fotosoup
11-16-2006, 08:04 PM
Alright i just picked up an 86 accord hatch with 175,000km on it (km i'm canadian... works out to be very low miles haha).... anywho I know the clutch is slipping pretty bad, and could probably be pretty glazed over from the previous owner driving it like that...

Anywho... I adjusted the clutch and it's about 3/4 the way up the threads (was about halfway before adjustment) and is much better than when I first purchased the car (can really get on it almost all the way from 1st through 3rd) but the clutch still slips pretty bad under load or if i just gun it outta nowhere. So I was thinking, shouldn't I still have some more room for adjustment if it's only 3/4 the way up? If I adjust it anymore I have way too much freeplay in the clutch pedel. Is there anything else I can adjust from here or will I have to be replacing the clutch on this car?

If it comes to me having to do the clutch it's no big deal, i'm used to working on my toyota supra, so this thing is pretty dang simple in comparison. So i'm thinking about picking up a 12 pack and going at this thing with a couple buddies (I have all the needed tools and stuff for it), but is there anything wierd that may come up while doing this or is it fairly straight forward? I know I have to pick up a clutch kit and alignment tool somewhere (if anybody knows a good place to get this please chime in).. is there anything else I'll need?

Alright I think that's about it... oh and thanks for taking the time to read this rediculously long post haha!

MessyHonda
11-16-2006, 08:15 PM
:welcome: to the site. the best bet is to get a new clutch and resurface the flywheel...

fotosoup
11-16-2006, 08:41 PM
haha thanks, ya that's what I was thinking... well maybe I can get this winter out of her the way the clutch is... it's so damn cold to work on it right now :S

I will take a couple pictures of the accord in a couple days... it's a little rusty but i'm going to fix that in the spring. otherwise it's in really good shape interior wise and mechincally.. with a straight body

oh and here is my daily driver...
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/2340000-2340999/2340180_30_full.jpg

the reason why I bought the accord.. so i dont have to drive that in the snow... not to mention new winters for it are more than what i paid for the accord that has new all-seasons on it.. aswell I can use the supra as my night/weekend cruiser (450+hp build coming, aswell as a 2" drop, new wheels, 91' 3-piece spoiler and new front lip.. so ya..)

ghettogeddy
11-16-2006, 08:47 PM
well instead of resurficeing witch is about 30 were im at u can get a new flywheel for like 56 bucks def better then resurfaced

edit: oh and welcome have fun learn soem new things and use the search button offten

88Accord-DX
11-16-2006, 08:49 PM
If you don't have any cracks on the flywheel & low on cash. You can take some 80-100 grit paper & sand the shit out of the flywheel real good. Most parts store sell Excedy clutch kit for little over a bill, comes with everything you need besides pilot bearing. The pilot bearing isn't critical in replacing.

When you put the flywheel back on, but some blue thread-lock on the bolts that hold the flywheel on. Other than that, make sure you get alighnment tool with the kit. Good luck & :welcome: to the forum.

ghettogeddy
11-16-2006, 08:51 PM
man i got my excedy for 35 bucks and it came with the bearing pp and guide tool

88Accord-DX
11-16-2006, 08:53 PM
Yeah, not everybody has the "HOOK UP". lol

fotosoup
11-16-2006, 08:57 PM
ok thanks for all the replies guys! Is there anywhere online that sells a clutch kit for a decent price?

Also, are there any good writeups out there on how to do it? I like having something to follow while i'm working.

88Accord-DX
11-16-2006, 09:03 PM
Here is about the best I could find for you bud.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/0d/0f/ec/0900823d800d0fec.jsp

fotosoup
11-16-2006, 09:04 PM
hey ghettogeddy.. is this similar to what you bought?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/EXEDY-86-ACCORD-84-PRELUDE-2-0L-OEM-CLUTCH-KIT-JDM_W0QQitemZ330048586703QQihZ014QQcategoryZ33730Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

88Accord-DX
11-16-2006, 09:14 PM
That is the same clutch. Be carefull on ebay, make sure you look at their feedback rating. Also, if they don't pack the clutch good with packing material, the clutch disc could or might get the bad end of the deal. IMO

ghettogeddy
11-16-2006, 09:19 PM
it is the samwebut i only had 2 springs but then again most places only have a pic of one vlutch it wont alwas be the same one

fotosoup
11-16-2006, 10:55 PM
looks like it's a good seller, I sent them an e-mail regarding shipping costs to my area.. lets see how good the customer service is. I've had very good experiences with e-bay, so I'm fairly comfortable and generally know what to look for in a good seller, so I'm not really uncomfortable ordering from ebay.

88Accord-DX
11-16-2006, 11:00 PM
Need to pop them axles out & I would put new C-clips back in both axles if I was you. Drain the tranny fluid out first before tackling suck a task. Good time to look at any ball joints that might need replaced also while things are pulled.

fotosoup
11-16-2006, 11:19 PM
so now I have a covered garage to do all this in i'm going to order a clutch online somewhere and then tackle this task... so far this is what I have on the checklist for things to check and replace while i'm at it.. anything else I should check while it's apart?

-replace tranny fluid (necessary to do the clutch)
-Clutch & pressure plate (duh)
-throw-out bearing
-C-clips (explain please ddude2uc)
-inspect ball joints
-inspect/replace all brake pads

anything else?

88Accord-DX
11-16-2006, 11:29 PM
Well, it is recommended to replaced the C-clip on both axles. It's sort of standard practice working in the field. You can go with out it, but might come into issues later down the line. The clips are real cheap, less than a few dollars a piece & good insurance for headaches down the road. I personally seen threads about what happens without using new ones.

Inspect your CV boots also. Replace any ones that are torn.

fotosoup
11-16-2006, 11:30 PM
well for sure anything that's cheap and easy to replace while it's apart I will do... I hate having to do things twice because I didnt research it enough (learned the hard way before)

88Accord-DX
11-16-2006, 11:39 PM
While your at it, put a jack under the frame.

<SIDE NOTE ON THIS> (only put the jack under the control arm if the coil spring in between the frame & control arm)

Raise the wheel about 2" off the ground, then put a pry bar underneath the tire & pry up on the tire. Have someone see if they see "IF" the lower & upper ball joint move. (ball joint check)

Also- grab the tire in 4 & 11 oclock & see if you can move. Need to see if your hub bearing has play. Also do the same in 7 & 2 oclock position.

jonrichert
11-17-2006, 12:10 AM
welcome dude, i'm from the okanagan too.. if vector doesn't end up wanting it i've got a parts car with a brand new clutch in it... you might have to fight him for it tho haha, anyways nice supra and good luck with the accord. - jon

shepherd79
11-17-2006, 04:59 AM
you don't have to replace C clips. you can reuse them. I have done it and my car runs just fine.
I have to agree, get a clutch from clutchnet. they have a good prices and you will know that you got a good brand and not some some POS that was made in china.

ghettogeddy
11-17-2006, 05:53 AM
I hate having to do things twice because I didnt research it enough (learned the hard way before)your telling me i just did my clutch and flywheel what liek 3 months ago and now im swaping trannys due to my syncros frying make sure u inspect the oil u may have to put soem real good oil in there as it may have never been changed and if u just the throw the norm stuff in it might shock the tranny

88Accord-DX
11-17-2006, 05:48 PM
I'm not stressing the C-clips cause it's not critical in replacing. Anyhow, when I pulled my transaxle out. I replaced both the seals for the axles cause they looked worn & could leak some day. Apperantly, the C-clip had snagged one cause I wasn't carefull when I pulled the axles out.

(something to think about)

88Accord-DX
11-18-2006, 10:10 PM
I forgot to say something. Here is a better thread on "how to replace the clutch."

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9349