PDA

View Full Version : Double door seals, rust & clutches

79cord
11-19-2006, 12:43 AM
Well in the absence of much else going on round here I thought I might as well say how I went & fitted an additional door seal to my Accord last month.

I had noticed that 2nd & 3rd gen Accords featured an additional door seal on the bodies weld flange around upper portion of the door opening where the earlier Accord has only a simple PVC extrusion to cover the s/metal edge so I figured I would fit one to mine as well.
Being a hatchback the seals only needed to be about the right length with a relatively sharp bend at the top rear corner of the door but preferably the inside pinch-weld flange portion should be colour matched to the interior of the car as the original extrusion was. Unfortunately this ruled out using 2nd/3rd gen seals which were only molded in black and used the interior & pillar trims to hide this fact.
A quick hunt around the wreakers & I spotted some late '80's Toyota passenger van (badged Tarago here) front door seals of the beige colour that I was after and was able to test fit them -perfect- seal running from door striker level up with the simpler extrusion continuing onward from both ends to hide under the door-sill step trims just as the Accords original extrusion did. -Though I did trim some of the extrusions inside ribbing off the ends to thin it slightly so it would fit under the step trims without forcing them.

Unfortunately(?) though the additional attention to the car has lead me to discover some small paint blistering on the lower underside of the A-pillar which further screwdriver poking has revealed to be a small rust hole so I guess there will be much more trim removal & attention to the area in the near future to tackle the problem before it gets out of hand -It's not allowed to rust -I want it to last forever- And thankfully this is actually the first rust ever to appear on the body -not counting another spot on the inside of the bonnet near the hinge which I attacked pretty thoughly a few years ago. When I also added a set of '81 frt wheel-arch liners which we didn't get here on '79's or earlier.

I've also had the need to adjust the clutch a few mm today as slippage was getting somewhat aukward climbing a hill yesterday & I've been noticing it under hard acceleration for a while now. 242,000 km on the original clutch -hope that's all it will need.

2ndGenGuy
11-19-2006, 07:09 PM
242,000km? You might be in for a new clutch soon...

Did that new door seal help out much? Is it quieter in the car? I might be down for giving that a shot. Is that Toyota van like the Sienna?

Isma
11-20-2006, 04:37 AM
"I've also had the need to adjust the clutch a few mm today as slippage was getting somewhat aukward climbing a hill yesterday & I've been noticing it under hard acceleration for a while now. 242,000 km on the original clutch -hope that's all it will need.[/QUOTE]"

Hi,

your Accord, is Manual or automatic transmission?
I got one manual, I was curoius about what you just mentioned "adjusting the clutch"

Regards.

2ndGenGuy
11-20-2006, 08:36 AM
Oh yeah, how did you adjust it? Isn't your clutch hydraulic? Can you adjust those? I can adjust the cable clutch in my 2g with a couple turns on the end of the cable...

79cord
11-20-2006, 06:02 PM
Here's the sort of toyota van I was talking about, one of the Sienna's predecessors '83-89(?) with Toyota imagination I think it was called the Vanwagon in the US.
Toyota van.jpg (http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?bg=FFFFFF&image=http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/536000-536999/536097_21_full.jpg)
& its door seals
door opening seal.jpg (http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?bg=FFFFFF&image=http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/536000-536999/536097_11_full.jpg)
Although this car seems to have a shorter seal than the one I got (the one on the body flange near the w/screen)- mine went nearly all the way round the side window, maybe it depended upon the year, anyway lots of other cars would probably have something similar & I don't know about colours other than beige.

I cannot say that the additional seals have made a big difference but I had been noticing my old door seals squeaking slightly against the body sometimes which this has eliminated.

Regarding the Clutch adjustment, yes the Car is a 5-speed with hydraulic clutch actuation, -the clutch side of the hydraulic slave cylinder is threaded with a pair of nuts against the clutch fork which can be moved along the thread, I adjusted them the wrong way on the first try but they seem to have done the trick for now -screwed closer to the slave cylinder, though there isn't much adjustment left so I will have to face replacing the clutch one day -My Sisters old Accord needed it somewhere around the 300,000 km mark.