PDA

View Full Version : rear bumper not tight up against the rest of the car

silv3r
09-02-2002, 09:28 AM
I have a 89 Honda accord that has a rear bumber that is not tight up against with the rest of the car. I tried wiring it up, but it still will not get it tight up against the rest of the car.
I seen other cars with the same problem, so I was wondering if anyone here has run into it and found away to fix this problem.
(The body of the car is sound.)

silver

Grant2k
09-02-2002, 11:44 AM
the body looks sound but take off the bumper cover and you will see that the actually steel bumper is rusting off. I had to make sheet matel brackets to hold mine on. i drilled through the car and bolted them to the body on either side of the bumper and then just put the plastic back on. Its a lot of work that will probably leave you driving around without the plastic on your bumper for a while, like i had to do. While your in there you will probably find some rust that needs to be repaired too, so its a good time to take care of that.

silv3r
09-03-2002, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the help, I will do this just before she is ready for the paint shop.

silver

Grant2k
09-03-2002, 05:31 PM
i don't know if you are familiar with the technique, but Great Stuff is an awsome way to fix rust. It is the foam insulation that is used around plumbing fixtures and as insulation. it comes in cans and you just spray it where ever you have rust holes. fill the holes and let it harden. if it is coming out of the body, like it was on mine, you can sand it, put fiberglass resin over it, bondo and paint. if you do a good job you can't even tell there was rust.