PDA

View Full Version : Which is better?

oldschool3g
11-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Is it better to rebuild your transmission or just swaping a lower mileage one in there??

MessyHonda
11-20-2006, 01:34 PM
the advantages or rebuilding is that you can put teg gears...i have a low mile one on my dx...and so far it has worked for 12k

oldschool3g
11-20-2006, 01:43 PM
the reason i ask is because i found this shop that will install a new low mileage one for 500 and will rebuild it for 1000..just woundering which is the best to do...which will last me longer

smufguy
11-20-2006, 01:49 PM
I would say go with the Rebuild ones, even tho it might have low mileage on it, you do not know 'how' it was driven. Besides, you can get all the new synchros and be at a peace of mind that this rebuilt one will hold up.

PS: This thread is in the wrong Section.

oldschool3g
11-20-2006, 09:14 PM
ok guys the weirdest thig happened today. I turned my car on in the morning to move it to another parking spot and put it into reverse...gave it some gas but didnt go back!!..it just reved like if it was in neutral...so i put it in park and into reverse again...same thing...but this time i gave it alittle more gas....then something popped and went reverse. I drove it to make sure nothing was wrong...and ran fine. IS MY TRANNY GONE?

shepherd79
11-21-2006, 02:20 AM
have you checked your tranny fluid?
you may be low on it.

ChuChi
11-21-2006, 07:46 PM
ok guys the weirdest thig happened today. I turned my car on in the morning to move it to another parking spot and put it into reverse...gave it some gas but didnt go back!!..it just reved like if it was in neutral...so i put it in park and into reverse again...same thing...but this time i gave it alittle more gas....then something popped and went reverse. I drove it to make sure nothing was wrong...and ran fine. IS MY TRANNY GONE?

Haha! Mine did that. But it also lost 3rd and 4th gear. The tranny was dead and I replaced it with a rebuilt one.

One of the consequences of doing reverse 180's in the snow with an automatic :cheers:

racerx
11-21-2006, 07:53 PM
Is it better to rebuild your transmission or just swaping a lower mileage one in there??

"low" mileage trannies rarely ever are. You can expect about 75-100k miles more from a rebuilt tranny, if not more. However, a "low" mileage tranny... well, if it's low miles, maybe, say, 75-100k miles, but as mentioned before, you don't know how it was driven. Additionally, it's more than likely to crap out after 25k miles, tops, leaving you buying another "low" mileage tranny sooner than later.

1000 is pretty steep for a rebuild though. They usually run about $750 on average. Shop around.

oldschool3g
11-22-2006, 08:18 AM
ok yesterday i had the tranny hooked up to the flush machine and replaces with new tranny oil....the old oil was pretty burnt up. I also go an oil change while i was at it. So far its been running good...shifts way smoother than before. Ill be taking it back sometime next month to make sure the oil doesnt burn again.