PDA

View Full Version : Choke Pull-off: Should I use an impact driver?

visionguru
11-20-2006, 03:00 PM
Today, I tried to replace the choke opener diaphragm, seemingly a simple job: moving the air cleaner box out of the way, and then two screws and a couple of vacuum lines.

Well, it's not so simple anymore. The screw is impossible to remove, and one of them got slightly striped screw head. I didn't forget to use penertrating oil before attempted removing.

Now, here is my questions: should I use my impact driver? I am afraid that the aluminum carb. Can it sustain the impact by using an impact driver?

Anyone had the same problem? How did you solved it? Strangely, other screws on the carb are easy to remove, but these two are just stuck.

Thanks,

Jasonf860
11-20-2006, 04:22 PM
I know the bottom one is a b1tch to get out. I was able to concentrate on the top one using a drill/driver and a long philips bit. With the drill you can apply loads of force into the screw and not have to worry about turning at the same time. Once that one is out, I put a screwdriver between the pull-off and the carb and rocked it slightly to the left to break the bottom screw loose. Once i did that, it came out with little fuss. I'd be very hesitant to use an impact driver on such thin, brittle aluminum.

A20A1
11-20-2006, 05:00 PM
Snap :)

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showpost.php?p=490549&postcount=2

visionguru
11-28-2006, 04:08 PM
I know the bottom one is a b1tch to get out. I was able to concentrate on the top one using a drill/driver and a long philips bit. With the drill you can apply loads of force into the screw and not have to worry about turning at the same time. Once that one is out, I put a screwdriver between the pull-off and the carb and rocked it slightly to the left to break the bottom screw loose. Once i did that, it came out with little fuss. I'd be very hesitant to use an impact driver on such thin, brittle aluminum.

After a few more tries, now the upper screw of choke-pull off is officially stripped. Looks like I need to try a drill/driver.

Will a battery operated driver from Craftsman work? Can it generate enough torque to remove the screw?

Thanks,

A18A
11-28-2006, 04:09 PM
mine was a bitch too, i used a impact driver to get mine off, just dont hit it too hard, ,worked fine for me, no broken carb or anything :)

edit: i dont think a battery powered drill will work, the last one i used, i could stop it with my hand