PDA

View Full Version : Well...I had a leak....

mushroom_toy
11-21-2006, 09:31 AM
Well I had a major leak when it rained really bad the other night...and my carpet got so damn wet...I decided to take it out and clean up. I'm gonna respray the floorboards with undercoating, and maybe get new carpet...not sure yet, the old carpet is dry now...so I might put it back in, or take it to the car wash and try to pressure wash it clean.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/JubeiMunchCurry/ResizeWizard-6-5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/JubeiMunchCurry/ResizeWizard-2-12.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/JubeiMunchCurry/ResizeWizard-5-7.jpg

After everything was cleaned up. This is how I'm riding at the moment.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/JubeiMunchCurry/ResizeWizard-3-10.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/JubeiMunchCurry/ResizeWizard-1-21.jpg

Oh yeah went to the junkyard and got another heater blower, since mine stopped working....I HAVE WORKING heat and ari now wheeeee!! Also picked up some wheels for my truck and a few things to help prevent more leaks.

MessyHonda
11-21-2006, 10:11 AM
looked like my dx....anyways....new carpet is like 130 bucks...so i just washed mine....and sprayed it black but now its back to dark doo doo brown

mushroom_toy
11-21-2006, 10:27 AM
^ Yeah I know...I could do the DIY carpet for like 30 bucks...but I dont like how thin it is. I'm probably gonna just clean my carpet really good, let it dry, then put it back in.

gp02a0083
11-21-2006, 10:48 AM
well if ur considering replacnng the carpet , this place ive used matched the color perfectly and even had the correct heel pad also, i think it costed me $110 shipped, i know they dont have much for hatchbacks but they got coupe and sedan ones, and the carpet is really good :rockon:
http://auto-interior.com/4dmstkcrpt.htm

sorry just checked thier site they went up a little in price, still worth it tho

mushroom_toy
11-21-2006, 11:21 AM
Yeah I was thinking about replacement too, but I think I might just clean mine up.

MessyHonda
11-21-2006, 01:01 PM
Yeah I was thinking about replacement too, but I think I might just clean mine up.

yup that is wut i did. mine was brown and some dye came off it...thats why i painted it. so yeah.....did you find money under the seats? i found like 5 bucks worth of change....and some of my toys under the e-brake....i think a snail shell or 2..lol

mushroom_toy
11-21-2006, 02:23 PM
^ Nah I had cleaned everything up before...only found a couple of pennys and a ton of straw.

jschatte
11-21-2006, 03:07 PM
did you figure out where the leak was coming from? I have a similar leak (drivers side front and back), and I found out it was caused by 10 missing body plugs.

racerx
11-21-2006, 07:48 PM
ya know, i was gonna say now would be a great time to wire up some subs, but... lol :)

maybe now would be a good time to upgrade wiring?

...and could you just explain the hay in the back? "roll, roll, roll in zee hay..."

88Accord-DX
11-21-2006, 08:29 PM
Think it might be time to get a seal put around the windsheild or sunroof that is leaking?

mushroom_toy
11-23-2006, 06:23 PM
I have subs lol. Leak is not coming from either sunroof or windshield, I think it was a bad seal on the power antenna. That was fixed, I jus havent tested it yet to see if that fixed the leak. Also I washed my carpet today at my house, because I figured a pressure washer might be too much for the 20 year old carpet. Looks real good though with a little elbow grease. Just letting it dry now.

Oh yeah the hay....well the old ass owner who had tyhe car before my brother went fishing alot. This was his fishing car, he evidently wore straw hats a lot. Also evidently.....he hauled a lot of hay in his backseat/truck?

ghettogeddy
11-23-2006, 06:48 PM
well u did a good job of clenaing it also did u know running your power and rca down the same said will cause distortion if i were u i would run the rca's down the other side or the middle just my .02

speedpenguin
11-23-2006, 06:54 PM
Leave it stripped!

mushroom_toy
11-24-2006, 02:48 PM
^^ Yeah knew about the distortion. At the moment I dont have the sub power line run through the firewall, just the floor thats why I ran them both together. Length was also an issue. I'm going to be upgrading and getting longer wire in a decent amount of time.

^I would leave it stripped....but too much road noise for me. The carpet is staying out at them moment though...only because I'm lazy though, and havent tested to see if i fixed my leak yet.

SQ is the SQUAD
11-24-2006, 05:12 PM
if you can, steam clean your carpet in resue it, it will be cheaper. i have had 2 different "direct replacement" carpers and neither one fit right

2oodoor
11-24-2006, 05:28 PM
did you figure out where the leak was coming from? I have a similar leak (drivers side front and back), and I found out it was caused by 10 missing body plugs.
Crap, that sounds like a flood/hurricane car with that many plugs out.

There is a thread somewhere I saw, where common leak areas are. That was pretty bad just to be water running down the A pillar inside. That much that quick seems to be like cowl leak around the firewall, or a body seam inside the trunk opening. If the headliner was not damaged.
Carpets, you can wash and wear those more easily than ya would think, I have at time even pressure washed them, but you need some good weather to dry them out any way you go.
how much money did you find? lol

w261w261
11-24-2006, 09:19 PM
I don't think it would be a leak from the power antenna seal exactly, but it might be that the left front sunroof drain is plugged. It exits in the front wheel well...you have to take off the liner to get at it.

The power antenna motor has a drain tube that plugs into a "Y" fitting, and routes any water that gets in there to the sunroof drain tube. At some time in my car's history, someone had disconnected that tube. When the sunroof drain got plugged, when it rained hard enough, the water rushed down the tube from the roof, couldn't get out at the wheel well, and backed up to that Y fitting, leaking down into the drivers footwell. And quite a bit of water it was.

I would say as a first step to make sure the sunroof drain is working. If it isn't clogged at the wheel well, and even if the antenna motor drain is open like mine, it will still drain ok. Getting into the antenna motor is hard, almost impossible without taking out some stuff.

2oodoor
11-25-2006, 07:14 AM
I don't think it would be a leak from the power antenna seal exactly, but it might be that the left front sunroof drain is plugged. It exits in the front wheel well...you have to take off the liner to get at it.
The power antenna motor has a drain tube that plugs into a "Y" fitting, and routes any water that gets in there to the sunroof drain tube. At some time in my car's history, someone had disconnected that tube. When the sunroof drain got plugged, when it rained hard enough, the water rushed down the tube from the roof, couldn't get out at the wheel well, and backed up to that Y fitting, leaking down into the drivers footwell. And quite a bit of water it was.
I would say as a first step to make sure the sunroof drain is working. If it isn't clogged at the wheel well, and even if the antenna motor drain is open like mine, it will still drain ok. Getting into the antenna motor is hard, almost impossible without taking out some stuff.
very interesting, I did not know that, a tube ...wow
even without sunroof? windshild post down the A pillar drains out thru a tube to the wheel well. Y fitting must be with sunroof, without sunroof just a tube.

mushroom_toy
11-26-2006, 07:23 AM
I see....I didn't find any money as I have alreasy cleaned the car real well once...but I'm definitely gonna look for that drain plug, you guys wouldnt happen to have any pictures of it would you?

2oodoor
11-26-2006, 08:10 AM
I see....I didn't find any money as I have alreasy cleaned the car real well once...but I'm definitely gonna look for that drain plug, you guys wouldnt happen to have any pictures of it would you?
go back and read w261's post, its not a plug, its a drain hole around the flange of the opening the sunroof. could be stopped up with dust/dirt. and the hole goes to a channel to a tube down the side post, the tube adjoins with another at the end of the antenna motor where water comes down the antenna ,water that makes it past any rubber seals. This Y fitting is evidentley at the bottom or part of the ant motor and is plumbed down the post to the A pillar cowl and makes a 45o to the wheelwheel instead of down into the A pillar cowl whichith would dump into the floor board.

2oodoor
11-26-2006, 08:15 AM
Leave it stripped!
Hey thats an idea, ive seen jeeps done this way. Have the floor board RHINO LINED , Car color or matching interior, that would be cool , no more :gun: vacuuming, just pull out the plugs , wash and rinse...

MessyHonda
11-26-2006, 08:50 AM
Hey thats an idea, ive seen jeeps done this way. Have the floor board RHINO LINED , Car color or matching interior, that would be cool , no more :gun: vacuuming, just pull out the plugs , wash and rinse...

lol when i had my car stiped i thought about using rhino line...its true about the road noise....it sucks...but the engine sounded better reving up faster. i was also thinking about that black undercar coat for the trunk

mushroom_toy
11-28-2006, 07:29 AM
Yeah before I put my carpet back in I'm going to be laying down a few coats of undercoating. I checked my drain lines and all are clear or everything. I have yet to check the car for leaks, but will wash it today, and see how that turns out.

2oodoor
11-28-2006, 08:10 AM
Yeah before I put my carpet back in I'm going to be laying down a few coats of undercoating. I checked my drain lines and all are clear or everything. I have yet to check the car for leaks, but will wash it today, and see how that turns out.
I strongley advise against that, there is a reason they do not use it from the factory. They have special fire retardent materials inside the cars.
Also make sure you use something that is going to set up hard and not stay tacky or sticky, soft.
If your just going for noise suppresion, maybe DIY bed liner would be good since your not gonna see it quite like you would in a truck bed. You could even make designs like they do with ceilings. lol

mushroom_toy
11-29-2006, 09:29 AM
I strongley advise against that, there is a reason they do not use it from the factory. They have special fire retardent materials inside the cars.
Also make sure you use something that is going to set up hard and not stay tacky or sticky, soft.
If your just going for noise suppresion, maybe DIY bed liner would be good since your not gonna see it quite like you would in a truck bed. You could even make designs like they do with ceilings. lol

Lol too late. Actually I already know that that could be a fire hazard...but chances of me having a fire in my car are not super slim...but pretty slim. Anyway, I might not even have this car too much longer, I like it, but it's just getting too old....and plus my hands arent as tiny as Japanese people, and that makes fixing it a pain sometimes. And the undercoating did help with some sound deadening. Now all I hear outside the car is my exhaust.