PDA

View Full Version : rear discs

Jasonf860
11-21-2006, 09:38 AM
Ok, for all you out there that have done the swap.... I have one question and one question only........... I've got an 89 lx. I know I have to swap out nearly the entire brake system basically everything except for the lines.... so here's the question...
IS IT REALLY WORTH IT?

Cheeseburger
11-21-2006, 09:40 AM
i say it is

speedpenguin
11-21-2006, 09:44 AM
Everyone I've ever talked to told me it was.

Jasonf860
11-21-2006, 09:58 AM
I'm just thinking that it's an awful lot of work for minimal gains, that's why I asked. My standard lx brakes overpower my proxes already, so what good would MORE braking power be?

MessyHonda
11-21-2006, 10:19 AM
disk desipate more heat than drums....you would have to upgrade the front too...so you can have 10 inch rotors....on the carbed car you would have to swap everthing....witch would suck...but yeah...my front drilled and sloted with good pads breaks good....overall you will have more handling ....i have em just got to install them.

Jasonf860
11-21-2006, 10:40 AM
disk desipate more heat than drums....you would have to upgrade the front too...so you can have 10 inch rotors....on the carbed car you would have to swap everthing....witch would suck...but yeah...my front drilled and sloted with good pads breaks good....overall you will have more handling ....i have em just got to install them.
That is what I'm saying. I have to swap EVERYTHING except the brake lines! While it doesn't seem like it will be too hard, I don't wanna bother doing it if it's gonna be very little gain. i most likely won't do the actual swap till spring, since it's getting cold here, but I will be getting all the parts this weekend. This way, I can clean them all up and repaint anything I need to while it's out. When I'm ready to install them, I'll do all the brakes, replace the struts with Tokico's, and change my upper control arms front and back too. Ah, what the hell, when I do the control arms and struts, that will be half way there... might as well do the swap. It'll just suck that I'll have to get new snows for next winter.
I should change the lower ball joints too huh.... They'll probably get ruined when I pull out the knuckles right?

87lxiaccord
11-21-2006, 11:15 AM
IMO when you have drum brakes with rims it looks terrible the disks look so much better

speedpenguin
11-21-2006, 11:16 AM
IMO when you have drum brakes with rims it looks terrible the disks look so much better

Hehe, I was actually just about to say that. Drums make your car look like crap when you have alloys.

bobafett
11-21-2006, 11:48 AM
some people on the forum like zeph want to stay with the small brakes and get better clamping force. he used an 88-89 caliper on his 86DX hubs, and with a little creativity has been rocking that setup for months.

its lighter this way, you can still run 13's and as long as you have good rotor/fluid/lines/pads you will not have fade issues. and we all know the stock brakes are good enough to lock up good tires like azenis.

imo 4 wheel discs are a good balanced setup that make the car look a lot nicer, but honestly i doubt the performance is worth it on a more or less stock car. and especially if u autox or track ur car u will not want the added weight.

of course this is just my opinion, i have 86lxi and i plan on upgrading to the bigger fronts and the disc rears. :)

Jasonf860
11-21-2006, 12:12 PM
its lighter this way, you can still run 13's and as long as you have good rotor/fluid/lines/pads you will not have fade issues. and we all know the stock brakes are good enough to lock up good tires like azenis.

imo 4 wheel discs are a good balanced setup that make the car look a lot nicer, but honestly i doubt the performance is worth it on a more or less stock car. and especially if u autox or track ur car u will not want the added weight.

of course this is just my opinion, i have 86lxi and i plan on upgrading to the bigger fronts and the disc rears. :)
Hmm, How much more do you think the disc weighs vs the drum set-up? I do plan to auto-x my car next spring after I get everything squared away. The courses that I will be running are short straights and LOTS of turns which will generate lots of heat. This was my main thoughts in going to the rear disc but since I don't want to over balance my bias to the rear, I planned on swapping the fronts too.

Jasonf860
11-21-2006, 12:17 PM
Hehe, I was actually just about to say that. Drums make your car look like crap when you have alloys.
While I agree, I did wire wheel all the rust off my rear drums and paint them. They don't look bad at all IMO. Disc would look better, but these don't look bad.

MessyHonda
11-21-2006, 01:13 PM
While I agree, I did wire wheel all the rust off my rear drums and paint them. They don't look bad at all IMO. Disc would look better, but these don't look bad.

the advantage is that you can get diferent rotors and pads for the auto-x....plus 4 wheel disks plus fat fives=the sex :naughty:

bobafett
11-21-2006, 01:17 PM
yeah the 88-89 lxi front caliper has a much better selection of brake pads. that IS one reason that it might be good to have discs, the ability to put nice quality pads out back. I havent autox'ed my car, so I can't speak for the balance of any of these setups. :)

smufguy
11-21-2006, 01:33 PM
I have a DX and now i have disks in the rear and i can tell you that the stopping quality is beyond words. Easy to replace and change, lasts a lot longer and stops quicker.

PS: You need the lines.

Jasonf860
11-21-2006, 01:59 PM
I have a DX and now i have disks in the rear and i can tell you that the stopping quality is beyond words. Easy to replace and change, lasts a lot longer and stops quicker.

PS: You need the lines.
You upgraded the front too right?

So i'll need the rubber lines from the SE-I too? I plan on upgrading to stainless lines eventually but just to get her working and sort out the bugs I'll be using the regular ones.

snoopyloopy
11-21-2006, 07:43 PM

So i'll need the rubber lines from the SE-I too? I plan on upgrading to stainless lines eventually but just to get her working and sort out the bugs I'll be using the regular ones.
might as well just get the ss lines and put them on at the same time. save yourself a job, and they're stock replacements so you should be good.

MessyHonda
11-21-2006, 08:26 PM
i paid 99 bucks for the ebay ones....they are SE-I tho

snoopyloopy
11-21-2006, 08:34 PM
i paid 99 bucks for the ebay ones....they are SE-I tho
well if he's doing the rear swap, he should get those. then either get an dx/lx set to use with the fronts or put the se-i ones on the front if he decides to upgrade his front brakes.

Jasonf860
11-22-2006, 05:02 AM
well if he's doing the rear swap, he should get those. then either get an dx/lx set to use with the fronts or put the se-i ones on the front if he decides to upgrade his front brakes.
Well, I won't actually be swapping till spring, i am just getting the full swap now cause I have the chance to. I will be changing the front to the ones off the se-i and also to the rear disc from the same se-i. Master cylinder and prop valve from the same se-i. I'm hoping that I can get a prop valve from one of the ludes that are there but I think they were already salvaged by someone. Anyone know if the Teg ones are the same or close to the lude ones? But since they are not going on my car till spring when I do all the rest of the suspension, I will have the chance to go through the whole set up and clean and paint everything. Nothing ricey, silver calipers, and the rest will be satin black since I have about 4 cans of it.

SQ is the SQUAD
11-22-2006, 10:30 AM
i had them on my dx hatch with my smaller front brakes and they worked fine

88LXi68
11-22-2006, 11:56 AM
All I have to say is...do you like replacing drums and shoes? I absolutely hate it, so besides the performance and appearance upgrade it is easier to change pads and rotors rather playing with stupid springs on the shoes.

smufguy
11-22-2006, 12:20 PM

Yeah, I have the front ones upgraded too. But when i still had the stock DX rotors, the stopping is not really that great, but with the Lxi fronts, its amazing.

Justin86
11-22-2006, 02:08 PM
rear dics are worth it esp SS braded lines, your pedal will be much more chrisp. Besides doing the rears you will have to bleed the brakes so might as well swap the lines. Also bleed the entires lines with a high temp brake fluid since I doubt it has ever been done.
I ran AEM pads which are a good street/autocross pad. Portfield R4-S I've heard great things about and Hawk HPS. Though I'll be trying the R4-S next time around. The next step would be bigger rotors for some serious stopping. I've done 60-0 in 125' with ok tires.

Jasonf860
11-22-2006, 02:58 PM
All I have to say is...do you like replacing drums and shoes? I absolutely hate it, so besides the performance and appearance upgrade it is easier to change pads and rotors rather playing with stupid springs on the shoes.
Well, i just did my brakes front and rear in the spring. With 200k+, the rears had never been done. I say that because there was still the H on the rear shoes. Still the original rear drums, very tiny ridge. Basically it appears the rear has done next to no braking at all. My mom's 4th gen same thing. original rear shoes and drums with 190k. So basically, I have around 8k on my brakes so I am gonna wait till spring to do them. I'm going to get the parts friday, but I am gonna plead with him once more to just sell me the whole car. Hopefully he bites and I can get it back to the homestead and strip it.

SQ is the SQUAD
11-22-2006, 03:54 PM
if your intrested in some rear disc i have some but youll need to at least get new ebrake cables, the ebrake spring and bolt. they can be had from www.hondaautomotiveparts.com id suggest new pads, rotors and rebuild calipersb

Jasonf860
11-22-2006, 04:16 PM
if your intrested in some rear disc i have some but youll need to at least get new ebrake cables, the ebrake spring and bolt. they can be had from www.hondaautomotiveparts.com (http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com) id suggest new pads, rotors and rebuild calipersb
Since i have an LX i will need to do the fronts too. I may as well get the whole deal from the Se-i at the JY... of course that all depends on the prices he tosses me.

MessyHonda
11-22-2006, 04:18 PM
Well, i just did my brakes front and rear in the spring. With 200k+, the rears had never been done. I say that because there was still the H on the rear shoes. Still the original rear drums, very tiny ridge. Basically it appears the rear has done next to no braking at all. My mom's 4th gen same thing. original rear shoes and drums with 190k. So basically, I have around 8k on my brakes so I am gonna wait till spring to do them. I'm going to get the parts friday, but I am gonna plead with him once more to just sell me the whole car. Hopefully he bites and I can get it back to the homestead and strip it.

wtf...i bet they took the car to get some honda shoes...that is wut i have on my dx....i got some napa shoes and pads and they made noise. so OEM honda was not bad.

Jasonf860
11-22-2006, 04:23 PM
yeah, but my parents have had their car since 96 and had all the receipts from the first owner and the fronts were done but not the rear. i know for a fact theirs have never been done. I bought my car from an old guyy who was the second owner. he had it since 96 and nevr replaced the shoes cause I asked him when I bought it. When he bought it, it had 70k on it. I bought it at 180k. I put 34k on in one year. It's possible that they were oem shoes, but since I know the ones I replaced went at least 115k, I doubt it.

MessyHonda
11-22-2006, 04:34 PM
wow...ppl dont care....i remember were my mom work they wore out the pads till it cracked....this is on a toyota land cruiser....oh yeah they also lived in the hills...the car had like 40k....they had to replaced rotor and pads...she complained cuz it was like 700 buck job.

SQ is the SQUAD
11-22-2006, 04:41 PM
Since i have an LX i will need to do the fronts too. I may as well get the whole deal from the Se-i at the JY... of course that all depends on the prices he tosses me.

thats if you can find one!

Jasonf860
11-22-2006, 04:50 PM
thats if you can find one!
I found one. Taking the whole brake system off this friday... that is if he won't sell me the whole car. If he does sell me the whole thing, there will be a little part out. It has the cupholders but it's missing the actual drawer for the cupholders. If anyone has a good drawer, but the little door is broke or missing the spring or something, the rest of this one is near perfect.

MessyHonda
11-22-2006, 05:02 PM
I found one. Taking the whole brake system off this friday... that is if he won't sell me the whole car. If he does sell me the whole thing, there will be a little part out. It has the cupholders but it's missing the actual drawer for the cupholders. If anyone has a good drawer, but the little door is broke or missing the spring or something, the rest of this one is near perfect.

i say pick up the whole car....if you can...offer like 200 bucks...and it will be a steal..lol

Jasonf860
11-22-2006, 05:06 PM
i say pick up the whole car....if you can...offer like 200 bucks...and it will be a steal..lol
I tried once already... he wasn't having it. But i am gonna tell him that i can't take the parts I want out at the JY and maybe he'll sell it to me then.

MessyHonda
11-22-2006, 05:10 PM
good luck bro...when are you going to get it?

Jasonf860
11-22-2006, 05:39 PM
I talked to the owner monday and he was supposed to set it aside for me. I go back Friday first thing when they open with tools in case he won't sell it whole to me. I will at least get the whole brake system friday if not the whole car. Then it's other misc stuff like the bose stereo system for geddy etc.

snoopyloopy
11-23-2006, 10:06 PM
go for the "black friday" deal (or day after thanksgiving sale) that is almost assuredly lurking there somewhere.

Jasonf860
11-24-2006, 06:12 AM
OMFG! I go back first thing today... i was there when they opened... he says, " Yeah, It's still here... behind the buil;ding." So I go out and it's not there. i look down the rows of cars... Not there... i walk all the way to the back, and there it is... UNDER 9 other cars in 2 feet of water! Apparently he didn't save the car for me. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!! I could have smacked the guy! So, so mad right now!

speedpenguin
11-24-2006, 07:11 AM
Goddamit I hate it when the car you want is in the middle of a giant lake. Can you get someone to move it? They usually have forklifts for that purpose. You just tip the guy a few when he's done and you're all set.

Jasonf860
11-24-2006, 08:22 AM
Big problem is that it's under 9 other cars. and in the second row. that means he'd have to move all that stuff. i asked too. he said once a car is in the pile, it doesn' come back out except to go get crushed.

smufguy
11-24-2006, 09:08 AM
Big problem is that it's under 9 other cars. and in the second row. that means he'd have to move all that stuff. i asked too. he said once a car is in the pile, it doesn' come back out except to go get crushed.

Pester him about how much you need it and the price you are firm about. I am sure that 15min work that he will have to do to move all those cars is not that much when he is looking at around 120 bux that he could be making just by letting you do all the work of getting the shit out of the car.

When i was looking for the stock EFI feed line, i asked the guy to bring the car to the front and ill pay him 30 bux for a damn line, he mummbled, brought it to the front. I pulled it out and paid the guy 10 bux and walked out. :)

SQ is the SQUAD
11-24-2006, 05:22 PM
so, u still loooking for some rear disc?

MessyHonda
11-24-2006, 09:17 PM
that hella blows jason...

Jasonf860
11-25-2006, 05:31 AM
Yeah, i was so pissed off but maybe it's a sign from 3geezus to start the search for a new 3 gee....

speedpenguin
11-26-2006, 08:12 AM
:lol: It's probably true... Too bad though.