PDA

View Full Version : replace transmission-axle seal?

timber_cruiser
11-21-2006, 04:48 PM
I have got a transmission fluid leak coming from the seal where the front axle fits into the transmission. I have read the thread describing how to remove the axle and CV assembly, but is the seal easy to access and replace?

Has anyone done this before that could share some advice?

thnx

AccordEpicenter
11-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Yes, you can pop it out with a screwdriver very carefully, do not scratch the seat that the seal sits in however, or it will leak. When you install the new seal, you can get it started and tap it in lightly with a hammer evenly on all sides until it is flush with the case. make sure it goes in straight though

88Accord-DX
11-21-2006, 10:09 PM
Yeah, pry it out with screwdriver & don't knick the metal sealing surface. My best opinion on what you can use to hit it with, would be to hit the end of a short 2 x 4 even on the seal. (without a large socket to fit the seal)

The trick is to get the seal seated even on both sides before you drive it in. Drive the seal untill it is flush with the mating surface.

AccordEpicenter
11-22-2006, 11:58 AM
Yeah, pry it out with screwdriver & don't knick the metal sealing surface. My best opinion on what you can use to hit it with, would be to hit the end of a short 2 x 4 even on the seal. (without a large socket to fit the seal)
The trick is to get the seal seated even on both sides before you drive it in. Drive the seal untill it is flush with the mating surface.

yes, not knicking the surface is important. If you do get the surface all messed up you can use RTV to seal it but i highly reccomend not scratching it in the first place.

Justin86
11-22-2006, 02:12 PM
if you use RTV, make sure to get the black RTV not red. I think I used an 1/1/8" socket last time.

AccordEpicenter
11-22-2006, 04:17 PM
grey hondabond>*

Hondabond FTW!