PDA

View Full Version : No sound HELP PLEASE

redline_addict
11-21-2006, 11:42 PM
Hi Im new to this forum searched around for my problem haven't seen anything that helps. I just bought an 89 accord Se-i (guessing its an SE-i) from my dealership runs good and all that but I dont get anysound out of my stereo. Well some times I'll get a very little sound barely able to hear the radio so i know its on but I'm guessing volume controle doesnt work. I'm just planning on taking the stock unit out and swapping in an after market one if I cant get a radio from a tech at work. Has anyone else run into this problem and or know how to fix it? Any help would be appriciated thanks.

MessyHonda
11-21-2006, 11:50 PM
this is in the wrong section but :welcome:

contrats on the car...the SE-i is one of the more rare cars. anyways hav you checked the speakers and see if you are not touching ground.

shepherd79
11-22-2006, 05:33 AM
congrats on SEi buy.
do you have bose stereo? if you do, you have amp on the back. when you swap the HU make sure you connect it or by pass it.

ghettogeddy
11-22-2006, 05:47 AM
and get new s[eakers it may also be a conection groundign ou the bose amp

redline_addict
11-22-2006, 06:53 PM
oh haha sorry about putting it in the wrong section but yea it does have a bose system in it saw the amp in the back checked if all the wires were connected to the amp. A tech from works gonna bring me an old honda radion to swap it over with haven't checked out the speakers yet will do tomorrow. And yea looked it up SE-I woot high end model eh? Doesnt have the SE-I badge or anything but yea power sun roof windows locks etc. options that arent on the other models so im guessing its an SE-I =D any other tips on what it could be and or know how to get the radio out? Took a quick look at it don't really know how to start. Thanks again.

MessyHonda
11-22-2006, 07:00 PM
^^^ the sei has this
1. Dual outlet exhaust
2. Leather seats
3. Honda/Bose music system, with remote on steering wheel.
4. Front center Armrest
5. Center console with beverage holder
6. Covered cassette holder
7. Bronze tinted glass
8. 4-wheel disc brakes
9. 2 of the special colors are Brittany Blue and Asturias Gray, there are a couple of other colors too.
10. Special Alloy wheels

the stock stereo has 2 screws in the back...you will need to take em off you can see them on the bottom....anyways .....take some pics of your car and post them in the picture section

ghettogeddy
11-22-2006, 07:01 PM
theres 2 bolts in the back pull the cupholders and shround out and there is a little grya box with 10mm bolts on each side remove them then loo stright up there should be to philips screws/8mm bolts just take them out and the radio should slid out also form the sound of it u have a short omewere or the amp is going

A18A
11-22-2006, 07:02 PM
whats bose?

MessyHonda
11-22-2006, 07:09 PM
whats bose?

its a high end stereo system.

redline_addict
11-22-2006, 10:14 PM
alright thanks for the help guys when the weather gets better I'll take some pictures of my accord lol next to an 06 v6 accord. I dont know about the bronze tint but yea dual tip exhaust cup holder center arm rest 4 disc breaks Asturias Gray-is that pretty much almost black cause if it is yea thats the color i've got. Mines not in great shape at all rear wheel wells both sides are rusted, gas tank door too, saw the history from the buyers papers it's been into a few accidents. I got it for $100.00 so it's all good nice little A-B.

ghettogeddy
11-22-2006, 10:25 PM
damn good id deal with some rust for a sei that was 100 bucks

redline_addict
11-22-2006, 10:37 PM
damn good id deal with some rust for a sei that was 100 bucks

yeap runs though needs 2 new front tires but the guy that i bought it off of left a winter tire of the same size pretty much brand new in the trunk so thats 1 to go leaking valve cover gasket and possible oil pan gasket and the rust for $100.00 that's pretty decent. Lol i was so excited to buy it took it around the block saw that it was running fine went to the bank and got the cash without looking at anything else LOL. I'll have pictures and word if the radio works tomrrow

Cheeseburger
11-22-2006, 11:04 PM
sick!!!

ilikevtecs
11-23-2006, 01:21 AM
Lucky!!

MessyHonda
11-23-2006, 02:36 AM
lol you got one of the rarest car.....and for 100 bucks....YOU GOT A DEAL...take some pics....lol

redline_addict
11-23-2006, 03:04 PM
ok i checked out the vin # it doesnt say the exact model but I've got a model # its CA565K does anyone know where i can check to see what model mine is. I dont have a dual tip exhaust but it looks like its been worked on before so i dont know if its the factory exhaust and again no bronze tint. Just took the radio out fuse is fine so im trying to get a hold of anotehr radio just to see if replacing it will change anything. Ill check the speaker wires tomorrow raining bad today dont want to get into it.

ghettogeddy
11-23-2006, 03:06 PM
well if u have rear disks then its an sei or its been converted eather way thats the best part of it

redline_addict
11-23-2006, 06:39 PM
oh is that all? then yea i got rear discs pictures up in a bit gotta wait for a sunny day. passenger side front rotor looked like the pads were driven to the metal shitty other then that pads are new.

ghettogeddy
11-23-2006, 06:41 PM
ya sei was leather, rear disk's, cup holders, bose system and larger front brakes i believe

MessyHonda
11-24-2006, 07:46 PM
^^^ the sei has this
1. Dual outlet exhaust
2. Leather seats
3. Honda/Bose music system, with remote on steering wheel.
4. Front center Armrest
5. Center console with beverage holder
6. Covered cassette holder
7. Bronze tinted glass
8. 4-wheel disc brakes
9. 2 of the special colors are Brittany Blue and Asturias Gray, there are a couple of other colors too.
10. Special Alloy wheels

the stock stereo has 2 screws in the back...you will need to take em off you can see them on the bottom....anyways .....take some pics of your car and post them in the picture section

bump if you have thoes^^^^ you have an SE-i

Civic Accord Honda
11-26-2006, 11:48 PM
if you got a new ridio how much do you want for the old radio and amp?

redline_addict
11-27-2006, 04:16 PM
got a used radio put it in but its from a newer honda the antena and another connection fits but theres a 3rd connection from my accord its a square rectangle shape and on the new radio its a circle on the radio it calls it a DIN connection. Would this affect sound? And with those 2 connected I still don't get any sound. And lets say I have all of those options except no tint no dual exhaust what model would i have then? Could I not be getting anypower from the amp? And how would I check this? Buddy told me to just check for a red light coming from the amp when the cars on?And if thats not it what else would/should I check?

BeatThisLXI
11-27-2006, 04:26 PM
I bet almost anything the speaksers are just blown. Really pretty easy to blow those OEM speakers. (well, I don't know about the bose setup, but on the average stereo)

Civic Accord Honda
11-27-2006, 05:16 PM
you could have a lxi

Sabz5150
11-28-2006, 05:12 AM
I'm thinking you'll want to dump the Bose setup once you swap to a new headunit. Those things are... odd. Having never owned one, I am venturing a guess here that you can bypass the amp with a little wire magic and you'd be golden. New speakers all around will be all but required because of the oddball impedance those speakers have.

No highs, no lows... it must be Bose

redline_addict
11-28-2006, 02:21 PM
shitty, well new radios in driver side front speakres the only one im getting sound out of I got a speaker from another old honda but the connections dont seem to match. Shit do i need to rewire all around too? and if i do get those speakres in not Bose would I need to take the amp out/wire straight?

redline_addict
11-28-2006, 07:05 PM
YEAP checked it out, LX-Is have a full-logic cassette players only the SE-Is had the Bose sound system which I apparently have to take out now because either the speakers are blown or the amps gone. Tthanks everyone for your help/advice

POS carb
12-04-2006, 03:19 PM
The Bose system uses an external amplifier and specially matched speakers (low impedance) that will not work for 99% of aftermarket radios (if the low impedance thing is true)
Do a continuity test on the speakers, I doubt all 4 would be bad, probably the amp is bad or maybe it has a separate fuse.
I also wonder if a bad steeringwheel volume button can cause this (maybe it is constantly sending a volume down signal to the radio)

Would anyone here happen to have a service manual that explains the Bose system? My 1989 Mitchell book that doesn't mention the Bose system at all.

redline_addict
12-04-2006, 03:58 PM
The Bose system uses an external amplifier and specially matched speakers (low impedance) that will not work for 99% of aftermarket radios (if the low impedance thing is true)
Do a continuity test on the speakers, I doubt all 4 would be bad, probably the amp is bad or maybe it has a separate fuse.
I also wonder if a bad steeringwheel volume button can cause this (maybe it is constantly sending a volume down signal to the radio)
Would anyone here happen to have a service manual that explains the Bose system? My 1989 Mitchell book that doesn't mention the Bose system at all.

I dont think its the steeringwheel volume problem the 1 speaker that does work stays at the volume i set it at. And I'm using a used honda radio although not the same head unit that came with the bose system originally it works but only for the driver side front speaker.

redline_addict
12-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Hmmm an Accord Se-I 89 came to work today.
Confused the fuck out of me...
Had the SE-I Badge
It had the leather seats
Bose system
Dual tip exhaust
power windows
The rims you guys were talking about
Centre arm rest
BUT
It was a COUPE
No moon roof
no power locks
Colored RED looked like it came that way from factory
had a wing with break light on it
and no bronze tint

MessyHonda
12-06-2006, 07:14 PM
Hmmm an Accord Se-I 89 came to work today.
Confused the fuck out of me...
Had the SE-I Badge
It had the leather seats
Bose system
Dual tip exhaust
power windows
The rims you guys were talking about
Centre arm rest
BUT
It was a COUPE
No moon roof
no power locks
Colored RED looked like it came that way from factory
had a wing with break light on it
and no bronze tint

moon roofs were optional in coupes.
coupes never had power door locks
i never seen a read SE-i maybe it was painted.
idk about the bronze tint...maybe it was a dealer install.

redline_addict
12-06-2006, 07:47 PM
moon roofs were optional in coupes.
coupes never had power door locks
i never seen a read SE-i maybe it was painted.
idk about the bronze tint...maybe it was a dealer install.

oh and it looked crazy different from mine they're both 89 accords and from what i've heard mine was an SE-I too but the red accord looked A LOT bigger body wise compared to mine

Civic Accord Honda
12-07-2006, 01:36 AM
ya the coupes look wide and messy right the moon roof is not standerd and thay dont have power locks

redline_addict
01-08-2007, 02:09 PM
Here's a link to the forum where i posted up pictures for anyone who wanted to see it

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57358

Problem solved I'm just gonna stick a aftermarket system in.