PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me I didn't just ruin something

leonardotmnt
11-22-2006, 03:22 PM
So I got home for break today and I wanted to put my new amp and HU in since I haven't had any for a few months after they were stolen. I get my head unit connected and I go to put the amp in. It was getting dark and I was in a rush and I forgot to disconnect the negative from the battery before I went to put it in the amp and bam, big spark. So I disconnected it and put it in then. When I hooked everything up I got no sound. And the motorized faceplate doesn't want to come down when I press the eject button. Did I ruin my amp and/or head unit? I really hope not :( I have a Phoenix Gold Xenon x100.2 and a Pioneer DEH-P860MP if it helps at all.

A18A
11-22-2006, 03:29 PM
prolly just blew a fuse

leonardotmnt
11-22-2006, 03:31 PM
It couldn't have done anything to the head unit could it? The remote turn on lead was hooked up but I didn't think it would affect it through that, or could it? And would that be the inline fuse between the amp and the battery or a fuse in the amp?

HondaBoy
11-22-2006, 03:32 PM
doesnt matter what brand it is. but it would be hard to tell. i've done the same thing before, making a nice big spark and nothing happened to my equipment. i'd check all connections before ruling out a short or something.

A18A
11-22-2006, 03:33 PM
dunno, but im pretty sure the main use for a fuse is to blow so it doesnt harm the stereo or amp

leonardotmnt
11-22-2006, 03:36 PM
I assume it didn't do anything to the head unit since it still powers on and everything but it was weird that the eject button just wouldn't work after so I dunno.

jschatte
11-22-2006, 03:50 PM
sounds like the prob with the deck could just be a problem right out of the factory. If I was you, i would try to exchange the deck for another one if it still has warranty.

leonardotmnt
11-22-2006, 03:53 PM
Well, it worked minutes before the whole amp deal and now it beeps like the button is being pressed but nothing happens. The functions seem to work, it's only the eject button that doesn't work that I can tell.

frantik
11-22-2006, 04:00 PM
hmmm from what you describe i'd guess it's fried :( try to claim it under warranty

leonardotmnt
11-22-2006, 04:03 PM
The amp you mean? :(

Jasonf860
11-22-2006, 04:14 PM
Some head units have a reset for situations like this. I had a Kenwood that i hooked up like this and when I was sliding it into the cage, pow! a huge spark and then it didn't power up at all. It was 2 days old! I called Kenwood and they told me to press this tiny button behind the faceplate with a pen and voila, it worked again.

leonardotmnt
11-22-2006, 04:19 PM
I reset it and it didn't work. That was the other thing I think I did after it worked at first. Not sure how the reset button would screw up the eject though. This really sucks. I have to wait until tomorrow to hopefully check it out again. I'm hoping something was just connected wrong since it was getting dark but that spark worried me.

Jasonf860
11-22-2006, 04:27 PM
I'd bring it back to wherever you got it and say it works but won't eject and you want a new one.

MessyHonda
11-22-2006, 04:28 PM
yeah sounds like it might of fried something....i remeber when i took off my deck i saw a spark and the fuse blew...the clock did not work thats a way to find out if its blown or not

leonardotmnt
11-22-2006, 04:29 PM
That won't work so well since it's a refurbed unit from ebay. It's under warranty but it seems like it'd be a waste to pay to send it back and send them a non refundable check for return shipping only to have them say they won't take it because of my error. I'm hoping I can get it to work tomorrow.

leonardotmnt
11-22-2006, 04:30 PM
The clock on the deck you mean? I was running through the features on the deck after this happened and everything seemed to be fine except for the eject. I'd be kind of surprised if that's the only part that was screwed up but I'm just paranoid about it after what happened.

MessyHonda
11-22-2006, 04:37 PM
The clock on the deck you mean? I was running through the features on the deck after this happened and everything seemed to be fine except for the eject. I'd be kind of surprised if that's the only part that was screwed up but I'm just paranoid about it after what happened.

yeah...well if the deck light up i dont think its the fuse...i remember i sparked my amp...and nothing happen....mine was a 1800 watt amp.

leonardotmnt
11-22-2006, 05:05 PM
The amp doesn't smell burnt at least so I'm hoping that's a good sign. Not exactly sure how to change the fuse inside if it's blown though. The one inline looked okay. Still hoping some of the connections just weren't great.

ghettogeddy
11-22-2006, 05:07 PM
well if got a spark at the amp it has nothing to do with the deck seeing the amp is hooked directly to the battery, now as far as the remote wire goes itonly runs a small amount or current as far as the eject thing goes its pioneer what can i say, i dont like them lol, but its prolly a factory thing and would be a prob with the stereo not the wireing

leonardotmnt
11-22-2006, 07:07 PM
Hmm now that I think about it. I think I may have hooked the remote turn on lead up to the wrong wire. I hooked it up to a something antenna that was also blue but it wasn't coming from the head unit harness, it was coming from the other one. That wasn't right was it? Damn trying to be quick and being careless. I hope it was just the wrong wire.

ghettogeddy
11-22-2006, 07:14 PM
well that would cuse the amp not to work the blue one on the warness actually does nothing in our cars scense the antena is switched on its own so plug the remote into the one coming from the deck there could be 2 the antenna one is fine

leonardotmnt
11-22-2006, 07:34 PM
The antenna one is fine? I thought that's the one it shouldn't be plugged into? Or do you mean it wouldn't have done anything bad? And I guess that means the amp couldn't have damaged the HU unless the preout cables carry current? Sorry to ask so much, I can't remember a lot of this stuff.

ghettogeddy
11-22-2006, 08:04 PM
no its ok to use its just a turn on lead at like 1amp(power) i think soem decks only come with the antenna turn on but most have both

leonardotmnt
11-22-2006, 08:18 PM
I'm assuming I used the wrong one though since it wasn't the one coming from the head unit harness, it was coming from the one that connects to the factory one. That one wouldn't work right?

ghettogeddy
11-22-2006, 08:45 PM
ya
scence theres nothing on the other side of the wire frin the upgrade harnees it does nothing
just switch it to the one on the deck