PDA

View Full Version : did i just ruin my head? valve guide related

SQ is the SQUAD
11-22-2006, 05:04 PM
this is my spare motor i am using for mock up for my turbo manifold. i decided to pratice some porting on it, if it came out good iwas going to use it. while removing the valves i got a punch stuck in one of the guiled. not sure if these are pressed in or are they part of the head.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/9510/Picture015.jpg

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/4687/Picture016.jpg

Ichiban
11-22-2006, 05:09 PM
Those are pressed in. You should bead blast and tank that head.

SQ is the SQUAD
11-22-2006, 05:25 PM
not worried about cleaning the head until i am done "working" on it

p.s. u still looking for that auto tranny?

88Accord-DX
11-22-2006, 08:51 PM
That is the top of the valve guide. Need to have an automotive machine shop press that one out & press you a new one in, shouldn't be no more than $20-$30. (wild guess)

AccordEpicenter
11-22-2006, 09:45 PM
yeah no big deal, any good machine shop can fix that with a new guide. if the valves are going to be reused id clean them up as well as the head and have the machine shop lap or grind the valve seats for a good seal also

88Accord-DX
11-22-2006, 10:24 PM
if the valves are going to be reused id clean them up as well as the head and have the machine shop lap or grind the valve seats for a good seal also
True, but there is little more to it. When the valve seats are ground, that increases valve stem height, so the valve stems need ground down too. Also, the spring tension needs checked including the springs free length along with squareness. Not to mention the spring closed length.

With the used valve guides, they need to checked for excessive valve guide wear using old valves. Another words, there is more involved in just lapping & grinding seats if you want good results in the long run. :)

AccordEpicenter
11-23-2006, 07:13 AM
it depends on how in depth and how much money you want to spend. Dereck is right, that is the correct way to do it but it costs some extra. At least the guides usually last a very long time in hondas, but i would also change the valve seals.

SQ is the SQUAD
11-23-2006, 07:21 AM
seeing that i ripped the seal off with a screwdrive id think they need to be replaced. either way, if my port job comes out decent then i am going to replace evenryting new and have the head decked and cleanedb

nskforlife
11-23-2006, 08:22 AM
where could i get informantion on what i would have to /what i can do to my head. i've been looking for some good resources on what i could do headwise. haven't fo'und any luck.... any help???

MessyHonda
11-23-2006, 09:10 AM
^2x.....are you just using a dremel or something?

Ichiban
11-23-2006, 04:55 PM
not worried about cleaning the head until i am done "working" on it

p.s. u still looking for that auto tranny?

Yeah I am still looking for a tranny.

PS if you are gonna put any significant amount of work into the head, I'd magnaflux it and maybe pressure test it too.

88Accord-DX
11-23-2006, 05:22 PM
Pressure testing is standard practice at the shop "if" he is going to have the work done right.

(magnifluxed is extra $ on top of the bill)