1989se-i
09-02-2002, 01:52 PM
The condition of my '89 makes me sad... *tear

Does anyone know how to fix this?

http://www.geocities.com/icaruscode/gasdamage.txt

:help:

87accordlx
09-02-2002, 01:57 PM
same thing happened to my car, i used rubing compound and it came right off, u can buy a tub of it at any auto parts store for like 2 bux, it's with the car wazes and stuff, but don't go crazy with it cause it will strip your paint

1989se-i
09-02-2002, 02:17 PM
Thanks alot dude :)

1989se-i
09-02-2002, 04:05 PM
well.... heres how that turned out...
http://www.geocities.com/icaruscode/gasdamage2.txt
:crying:

87accordlx
09-02-2002, 04:45 PM
huh?!?!!
how did that happen? did u apply it with a wet cloth and wipe it off before it dried, like it says on the package?

1989se-i
09-02-2002, 06:08 PM
wet cloth? :omg:

DBMaster
09-02-2002, 06:12 PM
Forget it. If the previous owner(s) let the gas sit there after it ran over it has permanently damaged the paint. I see a lot of cars like that. People can be pretty freakin stupid.

If it was recent you might be able to clean it off, but now you are just stuck with it until you get a paint job.

87accordlx
09-02-2002, 07:07 PM
maby not DBmaster, when i bought my car it had those markings below the gas tank and i used rubbing compound and it took them right off

and yes a wet cloth to apply then wipe it off before it dries
if u was your car ASAP you might be able to fix the damage that is done

3rdGenMartyr
09-02-2002, 09:27 PM
everytime i fill up the tank, when the pump kicks off it sprays gas all over the place and im a little worried that itss gonna do something like that

DBMaster
09-03-2002, 06:15 AM
You should probably use a lower setting on the automatic pump handle. If you wipe the gas off with a paper towel (most gas stations have them with the window cleaning squeegee) right away you should be OK. It also helps a lot if you wax the car regularly to put a protective coating on the paint.

From what I see in the picture above the damage is permanent. A lof of it has to do with what fuel formulation is in your area (it differs quite a bit from place to place, season to season.) Some fuel components are more damaging than others. The damage above was just caused by someone who rarely waxed the car (if ever) and never bothered to clean off gas spills when they occurred.

POS carb
09-03-2002, 09:07 AM
Honda had a recall for rusting filler pipes that leaked, get that checked out. I don't think anybody can be that much of an ass to let that much gas pour all over the paint. If they did I'm glad U got the car and not them anymore.

markmdz89hatch
09-03-2002, 09:28 AM
ok, so, it could be permanent, but since a bottle of wax/compound and a little elbow grease is a whole shit-load cheaper than a new paint job, it's worth a second try.

first, did you get rubbing or polishing compound? Second, it looks like you let it dry on the paint, b/c by the looks of it, the reason for that white-ish glaze on the affected area is merely residual compound left in the surface cavities in the paint. if that's the case, don't panic. like someone else said, just dampen a cloth, re-apply a little more, and before it dries, wipe it off. turn the rag to a new clean surface every few passes while wiping it off. This way, you're not reapplying the same crap you just took off.

now let's take it a little further. ....do that a few times with rubbing compound, then hit it up (after the surface is completely dry) with some polishing compound. then after applying/removeing that per the directions on the bottle, let it dry. Now take a clean damp cloth again, and wipe down the surface again. Don't be afraid to give it a little elbow grease. Now hit it up with a little carnuba wax.

here's the method behind the madness....
...the rubbing compound is simply eating off all the "dead" paint from the surface. Even though the gas may have eaten right through all the paint, chances are, you'll be able to salvage some of it. By doing this a few times with the rubbing compound, you're just ensuring that you've eaten off most, if not all of the dead paint... ...but beware, don't rub too hard b/c you don't want to eat off all the paint. The rubbing compound will leave a dull, dry, unprotected finish on the surface.. ... that's where the polishing compound/compound comes into play. This will remove some of the deep abrasions left by the rubbing cmpd., giving it a little bit more sheen, and it'll also begin to add some of the original silicates, and other protective properties. By hitting it with carnuba afterwards, you're going to seal the surface again. This will provide a protective barrier from future gas spills....

Now remember, you've just conditioned the bad spot. It's still bad b/c of the years of abuse, which means, this will come back if neglected in the future. This is one area that will always require more attention then the rest of the paint, but as long as you keep up on the applications of wax, you'll be all set.

Good luck, and let us all know how it works out...

ps.... sorry for the long ass post

DBMaster
09-03-2002, 10:30 AM
Sorry, I wasn't trying to discourage you from trying, but it looks like your car might be the "Seattle Silver" paint color. This color is metallic and has clear coat. You need to avoid scrubbing too much with compound for fear of removing what little clearcoat may be left on that area. Clearcoat paint is generally softer than the color coat and is thus easier to damage or scratch. It does make for a paint job that stays nice looking longer, generally.

Since mine is polar white it has no clear coat. I have to really keep on top of waxing - four times a year.

1989se-i
09-03-2002, 10:44 AM
it worked. most of it came off. I need to paint it anyway, so its no big deal.

And yes, the previous owner did take care of my baby. it makes me sick :barf:

markmdz89hatch
09-03-2002, 06:32 PM
i wanna see, i wanna see, i wanna see!!!!