PDA

View Full Version : Weber DCOE maniold for 1.8 Prelude

85Prelude
11-27-2006, 05:09 PM
Hey there-I went to the links previously posted and had no success finding a dual-DCOE manifold for my Prelude. Any idea as to where the suppliers went, or is it over (custom-fabricate time)? Any ideas, links, et cetera would be much appreciated. Thanks!

white ricer
11-27-2006, 07:10 PM
weber dot com. :welcome:

i know for a fact weber made a twin carb kit at one time.. (i tuned a set which was not fun) call them and they will most likely point you in the right direction

A20A1
11-27-2006, 07:33 PM
yeah try "redline", "TWM", and the other place "pierce manifolds"... but that was ages ago, it's more then likely a discontinued item.

rjudgey
11-28-2006, 03:20 AM
www.autoquip.co.nz was the last company to make them they were sold to TWM and sold under there name in the U.S. but they haven't had any for many years. Autoquip may be able to make a small run if you can get a group buy together or they may have one or two left website is www.autoquip.co.nz e-mail Dennis but be warned they are the slowest people to get back to you if you want prompt reply best to phone or fax them.

85Prelude
11-28-2006, 03:52 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Any one know of a used manifold sitting around?
There were too many of these 'Ludes made and too few of them still out there-what I'm thinking is that somebody must know of a used one. In lieu of that, any thoughts on swaps-like the H22? How does it rate on the cursing & blinding index?? I'm wondering about clearance, i.e., lack of it. Engine management might be interesting, but that would be relatively simple to graft out of a wreck. Bottom line, maybe I should find a more modern platform...but it would be a great sleeper to have an '85 Prelude that was ridiculously fast. I think, anyway. And my Prelude has sentimental value as well.

rjudgey
11-28-2006, 02:29 PM
You can allways have one made i have had three made for various 2G accord and Prelude engines one for ET1, two for A20's one from ally another from stainless steel, and i have my autoquip inlet manifold too. But i guess i'm just greedy ;0) You wouldn't be the first 2G lude to be very quick mines allready run ning mid 14 second 1/4 mile times and the B20A lude i have isn't too far behind.

If you want something thats different stick with the Lude as long as the body is rust free, if not look elsewhere maybe easier. As Far as fitting H22 is concerned forget about it unless you have $20k handy to do it properly with brakes, custom mounts, welding, roll cage and chassis strengthening etc. to cope with the larger engine and the extra power.

I'd go with a 3G accord Hatch with a B20A conversion personally if i were doing this from scratch but if your car is good then with some choice parts and some custom parts you could make your original engine go like shit of a shovel!!

85Prelude
11-29-2006, 04:03 PM
Hey, thanks for the info...who made your manifolds? And if it's not too impolite to ask, what (approx.) did it cost to have 'em fabricated? And while I'm at it, who did your cam and what are the numbers at say, .050" (or 1mm if you prefer)?
Yeah, my Prelude is a "family heirloom." My dad bought it new in '85, I went with him to pick it up and in fact drove it home..he was in his early 70's at the time and hardly drove it. My older brother then bought it from him, drove it very little, whereupon I bought it and drive it, well, some. It just turned over 69k original.
It's always had the oil changed every 3k-since I've had it, only Mobil 1-and the rest of the maintenance has been better than scheduled. I agree about the hatch...if I were to do this from scratch that's what I'd use, too. I really want to keep this car somewhat utilitarian...the Webers I like because they're pretty easy to keep balanced and extremely easy to get jetted properly. I raced air cooled VW's in the late '70's-consequently had a lot of experience with 44 IDF's (and 48 IDA's, etc-but even in "full race" roundy-round racing the 44's were faster on a 1641cc type I-better velocity). Webers don't scare me in the least. Now SU's...there's another story. Anyway, any and all tech data you'd be willing to share would be most appreciated. Thanks a lot!

rjudgey
11-30-2006, 01:59 AM
Autoquip can't supply you one it would cost about £200 to have made you can choose from stainless, ally and Steel, as i have one for your engine would be easy to have it copied or maybe if you could think of a suitable swap might be interested in letting my one go, although it's setup for a highly tuned engine and the ports are very large and the head will need extensive work to have it fit properly, and to be honest the casting quality isn't that great the ports aren't central there slightly offset hence why i've worked on my one so much. I could have one made better quality if you can't find anyone who can do the work for you which i'm sure must be someone in the U.S. who can let me know if you really really want one i can have one made for you.

I agree with teh webers only reason i haven't swapped on ITB's as the Webers are so easy to setup and tune yourself once you've learnt how too, one of the rasons i guess there still made for the U.K. market brandnew. I love them even though they don't last long without silly little faults developing but they allways manage to work well enough to get you home still!!!!

Ichiban
12-13-2006, 10:23 PM
This might not apply, or it might even be a dumb idea, but could you mount 2 giant bike carbs on the twin carb intake? I'm assuming its the twin carb prelude right? Also, the 2nd gen prelude basically shares an engine bay with the 3g accord so any 3g engine swaps apply to the prelude as well.

rjudgey
12-14-2006, 02:19 AM
spoke to someone in Auz and they bought one from autoquip about a year ago and apparantly he had few still left i'd give them a ring and grab one quick if they still have them!!!