PDA

View Full Version : What is the right way to put on alternator belt?

visionguru
11-28-2006, 03:50 PM
OK, here is my objective: Replacing the brush inside the althernator, AND replacing Power steering belt and Alternator belt.

Now, I have taken the brush assembly out from the alternator, without taking alternator out. I will try to put everything back tomorrow.

When I put on the power steering belt:V-belt, there is no way I can fit the belt in to the groove. I did the following: tightly hang the belt to the Power steering pulley, then turn the engine. The belt slided in nicely.

What's the proper way for the multi-ribbed belt? Do I need to do the same way, or the belt is loose enough when the alternator is in the nearest position?

Thanks in advance.

A18A
11-28-2006, 04:01 PM
the belt should just fit over easily

visionguru
11-28-2006, 04:17 PM
the belt should just fit over easily
Great to know.
The V-belt cannot fit over even with the Power steering pump at closest position. It would be very difficult if a multi-ribbed belt cannot fit over all the pulleys.

Thanks.

A18A
11-28-2006, 04:26 PM
:welcome: the PS belt should just slip over the pulley with a bit of force, its ok to put a bit of force on it :)

nskforlife
11-28-2006, 06:33 PM
i'll ask my mechanic when i get my car back from the shop, he's replacing my alternator and alternator belt... lol

thegreatdane
11-29-2006, 07:55 AM
if you can not get the belts on only with the use of your hands, with the alternator or ps pump adjusted to max. looseness, then you havent got the right length of belts.