PDA

View Full Version : Cometic Head Gasket

guaynabo89
11-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Just wondering how much boost you guys have steadily run on the a20's with stock headgaskets and at what psi did they blow out. i dont know if anyone outhere actually has done this and i was just curious. Plus i want to kow if its more or less than other hondas.

Also if anyone has had custom head gaskets made for the a20 let me know if they can make more without having to send one in for comparison.

AccordEpicenter
11-28-2006, 07:22 PM
SCE and some others make copper headgaskets for the A20. Stock headgasket is pretty solid, head studs are a MUST over like 16-18psi so i hear. Ive hit 17psi spikes and my headgasket and pistons look just fine. Im gonna run a stock headgasket in the built motor and see how it holds up, i dont feel like o ringing this motor, ive heard this can cause more problems than it solves. Plus, sealing becomes an issue without them, bobafetts headgasket leaked even though he used sealer and installed it using the directions to the letter. I have a copper headgasket but im not gonna use it until i need it (if i ever do)

newaccorddriver
11-28-2006, 07:46 PM
SCE and some others make copper headgaskets for the A20.

i just broswed through SCE's online catalog and it doesnt list the A20's in it...

ghettogeddy
11-28-2006, 08:04 PM
i just broswed through SCE's online catalog and it doesnt list the A20's in it...
i believe there special order like u have to call them they dont list it in the catalog

bobafett
11-28-2006, 10:34 PM
i have a special order cometic head gasket. it was $65, and i had to send them a stock one for a pattern (no telling if they kept it on file to be useful for future a20 projects)

a custom pattern from cometic is only available in solid copper, but you do have a few choices for thickness. :) I chose .050" :)

cometic was pretty fast and i am happy with the gasket, but i will say that I had some problems getting it to seal, and you REALLY need to be careful making sure u put some good copper hg sealer on there, and dont skimp. :) but you will have that problem with any copper hg, so be aware of the potential issues. for me it resulted in having to pull the head and reseat the gasket a couple of times until i figured out how to do it properly.

i used edelbrock gaskacinch all over both sides of the gasket, and permatex aviation sealer around the perimerter and the oil drain holes. and i have been happily leak free so far. :D

guaynabo89
11-29-2006, 07:30 PM
Well I have an OEM Honda head gasket with stock Honda head bolts and im going to push them to hopefully a daily driven 12psi and maybe higher. upwards of 16 or so. I think it will hold but only time and tunign will tell. These plans wont come into effect til the new year but well see.

bobafett
11-30-2006, 08:55 AM
yeah you will probably be ok, i am pretty sure justin was on stock hg, and he ran upwards of 23+ psi on his motor. not sure if sean or johnny-o are running stock or not though. i am sure you will be ok at least until the head bolts stretch. i bet with ARP's you would definetly be ok with the stock gasket for a while.

AccordEpicenter
12-02-2006, 09:58 AM
sean and johnny o both ran stock headgaskets to well over 20psi but i think they had more problems with the head lifting due to bolt stretch than actual gasket failure itself, so id say head studs are reccomended for higher boost levels, even under 20psi.

bobafett
12-02-2006, 10:43 AM
ARP head bolts for a 2.0L 98-00 Mazda Miata work great, thats what is in my A20. :)

MessyHonda
12-02-2006, 06:48 PM
ARP head bolts for a 2.0L 98-00 Mazda Miata work great, thats what is in my A20. :)

thats good to know....il look look into that when i get some headwork done.

bobafett
12-02-2006, 11:00 PM
i should say, they are head STUDS, not bolts, but you get the idea....

RobT5580
12-04-2006, 11:06 AM
i have a special order cometic head gasket. it was $65, and i had to send them a stock one for a pattern (no telling if they kept it on file to be useful for future a20 projects)

a custom pattern from cometic is only available in solid copper, but you do have a few choices for thickness. :) I chose .050" :)

cometic was pretty fast and i am happy with the gasket, but i will say that I had some problems getting it to seal, and you REALLY need to be careful making sure u put some good copper hg sealer on there, and dont skimp. :) but you will have that problem with any copper hg, so be aware of the potential issues. for me it resulted in having to pull the head and reseat the gasket a couple of times until i figured out how to do it properly.

i used edelbrock gaskacinch all over both sides of the gasket, and permatex aviation sealer around the perimerter and the oil drain holes. and i have been happily leak free so far. :D
I had a cometic copper gasket made for my first B20A so they might still have the pattern (for you B20A guys). But you need to o-ring your block to use copper and i didnt like how mine came out plus you run the risk of leaking water jackets. On my turbo B20A i was running 10 psi low and 17psi high but my boost solenoid gave out and i spiked it in the high 20's and never blew a gasket on the B20A mind you that i have ARP head studs as well and this is not the same as the A20. But the A20 being cast iron i would think can take a beating but this is just my experience granted i only had 2k or so on my last on before i burned up the pistons due to boost spike but at that point my rings gave out (distributor gave me rings not meant for boost) so i just beat the hell out of it cause it was almost winter and i was pulling it out.

Oh BTW on the copper you can use multiple layers of copper spray i used it on a stock gasket and let me tell you it was hard pulling it off so it definately helps seal even on a stock gasket.

AccordEpicenter
12-04-2006, 09:04 PM
yeah ive heard that too. Copper spray FTW!

88Accord-DX
12-04-2006, 09:10 PM
Anykind of metal type head gasket needs a copper gasket spray. NAPA sells that shit.

AccordEpicenter
12-07-2006, 02:27 PM
usually the multi layered steel you can get away with no sealer but copper its a must

guaynabo89
12-07-2006, 06:35 PM
anyone experience head lift with the oem honda bolts, and at what psi?

Im probably gonna run the studs on the oem gasket if I have enough to spend. gonna be a little costly so I might have to wait on that

AccordEpicenter
12-08-2006, 06:49 PM
if you were running 16+psi, studs might be a good investment, using them with the oem gasket is fine

88Accord-DX
12-08-2006, 08:52 PM
usually the multi layered steel you can get away with no sealer but copper its a must
That is right. I've only had to use multi layered steel gaskets when shimming a head after the head was beyond warpage specs. (wasn't thinking)

Edit- probably had too much too drink when I posted that. lol

88Accord-DX
12-08-2006, 08:52 PM
Dp