View Full Version : how much wattage

Crazybird
11-28-2006, 08:30 PM
so my question how much wattage can a micro farad handle
and if i were to install a cap i can run a bigger system right:rockon:

damnt i shoulda put this in audio meh

ghettogeddy
11-28-2006, 08:49 PM
i dont know what a micro fered is there are .5,1,etc also the best bet in cap type products is a batcap more power like a battery but the size of a motorcycle battery

ghettogeddy
11-28-2006, 09:11 PM
microfarad

The microfarad (symbolized µF) is a unit of capacitance, equivalent to 0.000001 (10 to the -6th power) farad. The microfarad is a moderate unit of capacitance. In utility alternating-current (AC) and audio-frequency (AF) circuits, capacitors with values on the order of 1 µF or more are common. At radio frequencies (RF), a smaller unit, the picofarad (pF), is often used. This unit is equal to 0.000001 (10-6) µF.

In RF scenarios, capacitances range from about 1 pF to 1,000 pF in tuned circuits, and from about 0.001 µF to 0.1 µF for blocking and bypassing. At audio frequencies (AF), capacitances range from about 0.1 µF to 100 µF. In power-supply filters, capacitances can be as high as 10,000 µF.

MessyHonda
11-28-2006, 09:22 PM
microfarad

The microfarad (symbolized µF) is a unit of capacitance, equivalent to 0.000001 (10 to the -6th power) farad. The microfarad is a moderate unit of capacitance. In utility alternating-current (AC) and audio-frequency (AF) circuits, capacitors with values on the order of 1 µF or more are common. At radio frequencies (RF), a smaller unit, the picofarad (pF), is often used. This unit is equal to 0.000001 (10-6) µF.

In RF scenarios, capacitances range from about 1 pF to 1,000 pF in tuned circuits, and from about 0.001 µF to 0.1 µF for blocking and bypassing. At audio frequencies (AF), capacitances range from about 0.1 µF to 100 µF. In power-supply filters, capacitances can be as high as 10,000 µF.

english please

ghettogeddy
11-28-2006, 09:29 PM
english please
A unit of capacitance equal to one millionth (10-6) of a farad.

Sabz5150
11-29-2006, 04:13 AM
english please

What? I could understand that just fine :)

How much could a *micro*farad be able to help? About a quarter watt.

shepherd79
11-29-2006, 07:18 AM
it won't do shit for your system. you need 1 farat or at least .5 farat.
Capacitor can help you to run a bigger system up to a point. and the point would be when your system will be pulling more amps than what is available.
TO run the system safely and have enough energy to run the engine without problems you have to measure how much does your audio system is pulling, how many amps does your engine needs and so on and on.
On stock alternator and oversize battery, at least 1.5 times larger in CCA, with 1 farat capacitor you should be able to run 1000-1500 safely. You can push it more but you may run into problem of dimming headlights and sluggish engine performance.

Crazybird
11-29-2006, 06:55 PM
will a cap make ur system sound better cause thats what ive heard but is it a lie

ghettogeddy
11-29-2006, 07:09 PM
will a cap make ur system sound better cause thats what ive heard but is it a lie
no dynomat will make it sound better a cap will just give u the powerto run the amp right but like a said for the price of most caps i would get a batcap more power is alwas better also u can just run a secound battery

Crazybird
11-29-2006, 08:24 PM
lol ya my car rattles more and more i need to get a hold of sum dynamat cause my bass sounds high cause of the rattles i just wanna hear the clean bass

ghettogeddy
11-29-2006, 08:55 PM
ya once u mat the flexible surfaces the rattels will go away and the sound will be 10x better

MessyHonda
11-29-2006, 09:26 PM
dynomat ftw!

Crazybird
11-30-2006, 03:59 PM
what kinda store can i get dynamat at and will it stay on in really hot and cold conditions

HostileJava
11-30-2006, 04:13 PM

This is partially true, if your amp is trying to draw more current then the alt/batt can provide then you will end up with a bass curve that platues instead of curves, it will sound like a very flat note and will end up damaging the amp/sub over time. The cap stores energy and releases it much quicker then your battery can allowing the amp to quickly draw more current and complete the curve of the note it's trying to produce.

MessyHonda
11-30-2006, 04:17 PM
This is partially true, if your amp is trying to draw more current then the alt/batt can provide then you will end up with a bass curve that platues instead of curves, it will sound like a very flat note and will end up damaging the amp/sub over time. The cap stores energy and releases it much quicker then your battery can allowing the amp to quickly draw more current and complete the curve of the note it's trying to produce.

try telling that to monkey:rant:

shepherd79
11-30-2006, 05:10 PM
what kinda store can i get dynamat at and will it stay on in really hot and cold conditions
yes it will stay on it in cold and hot weather. It is nothing but rubber cement that used on roofs.
on my last accord i spent over $300 on dynomat and that shit worked wonders.

nskforlife
12-03-2006, 08:27 PM
raamat is the equivalent to dynamat minus the name and the outrageous tag. dynamat is good stuff and will work wonders, but why waste your money for something that does the same thing and is 1/2 the price. check it out at raamaudio.com before you go waste a couple of paychecks on some stuff that is WAY overpriced. i'm getting raamat when i replace my sound system. it's also guaranteed to 300*f. now, i dont know how hot your trunk gets, but i bet it's not that hot. so ya. save some bucks and get raamat at raamaudio.com

Crazybird
12-03-2006, 09:43 PM
im worried about cold not hot lol

ghettogeddy
12-03-2006, 09:45 PM
ive had it on my volvo for about 2 yeras now and never had a prob with it comming off just use a heat gun when u put it on and that shit will stick for sure u would prolly actually have a hard time taking it of
also bestbuy carry's it or an equal product u can also ebay it lol

shepherd79
12-04-2006, 07:26 AM
im worried about cold not hot lol

you have to apply the product in warm weather or use heat gun since it is nothing but rubber cement. It will weld itself to the area you apply.

POS carb
12-04-2006, 03:04 PM
rule of thumb I heard a while back was 1 farad per 1000 watts, I like 1 farad per 500 watts

Right now I am running 3 farads for a 900 watt class D and a 75x2 class A/B amp on the 66 Mustang with virtually no dimming, the only dimming seems to be in the dashboard lights, the headlights don't really dim. Alternator is a stock-type rebuild with 65 amps peak output, the battary is an oversized 850 CCA battery from Autozone with a high reserve capacity. Cap is fed via 0 Gauge power wire (overkill, 4 gauge would have sufficed)

MessyHonda
12-04-2006, 07:50 PM
would a optima batt works better insted of a cap?

POS carb
12-05-2006, 10:40 AM
any battery with a higher CCA/CA rating will help, moving the battery to the trunk will help, a cap will help... it is just how much extra you give it. In my opinion the yellowtop Optima is a good purchace because it is easy to trunk mount and it has good reserve capacity (good for running accessories with the engine off) but it is pretty expensive, you can get good results from a pair of 1 farad caps bridged together for less $ (plus caps look cool) :)

MessyHonda
12-05-2006, 01:16 PM
any battery with a higher CCA/CA rating will help, moving the battery to the trunk will help, a cap will help... it is just how much extra you give it. In my opinion the yellowtop Optima is a good purchace because it is easy to trunk mount and it has good reserve capacity (good for running accessories with the engine off) but it is pretty expensive, you can get good results from a pair of 1 farad caps bridged together for less $ (plus caps look cool) :)

yeah my amp already has a built in volt meter...go audiobahn!..lol...anyways il just save up like 20 bucks a month till i get a optima batt.

Crazybird
12-05-2006, 01:56 PM
oo so best buy has sum of that stuff :) thxx