PDA

View Full Version : this probably won't work but what do you think?

stocklxi
11-30-2006, 01:00 PM
ok well about a week ago my speedo stopped working, and i know its not my cable being loose or not connected. so i know it has to be my VSS, and i don't want to pay 200+ for a new one, or even so i'm broke at the moment and don't want to pay for a used one either, even tho its like 40 bucks, but

anywayssss heres my point......

i have a spare 90 integra manual trans from my old swapped EF hatch that got totaled (r.i.p.) and it still has the VSS in it and i know it works...my question is can it work with my accord auto trans? or are they not compatible for obvious reasons?

Vector
11-30-2006, 01:10 PM
the speedo in a 3g is cable drivin, so it has to be that or the speedo itself in the cluster.

also could be the unit in the transmission which the cable plugs into, it does come out of the tranny and has a gear on the end, i dont know how to take one out but i seen some guy at the wrecking yard do it.

the vss from my understanding is there for stuff like cruise control.

Oldblueaccord
11-30-2006, 03:55 PM
I think there would be a code if the VSS doesnt read. When my cable has poped out I get a code and the CEL comes on.

wp

Vector
11-30-2006, 08:08 PM
I think there would be a code if the VSS doesnt read. When my cable has poped out I get a code and the CEL comes on.
wp

so the vss sensor rides off the speedo cable? i thought it was somewhere else in the transmission.

shepherd79
12-01-2006, 05:42 AM
if VSS is broken it will give you a code on 88-89 accord.
the speed sensor should work. i can't remember which one would be shorter but it will work. i know stock 3G one works in jdm B16 tranny just fine.

stocklxi
12-01-2006, 08:27 AM
so are you saying its probably the cable thats messed up? cuz the only code im getting is the ECT sensor which has been throwing before my speedo stopped working

shepherd79
12-01-2006, 08:32 AM
it could be the cable but it can also be the sensor. i would replace them both.

i would fix the ECT first.

stocklxi
12-01-2006, 08:37 AM
which one is the ECT i see 2 on the thermostat housing