PDA

View Full Version : tach cable replacement...how to?

DaveEye
11-30-2006, 11:17 PM
i checked the forum and couldn't find a previous post. my tach jumps around a bit so i am thinking i need a new cable. is it a difficult replacement?

also, does anyone have a reliable online source to find parts such as this or would i need to go to the dealer since it is kind of specialty item?

thanks in advance!!!

forrest89sei
11-30-2006, 11:47 PM
i checked the forum and couldn't find a previous post. my tach jumps around a bit so i am thinking i need a new cable. is it a difficult replacement?
also, does anyone have a reliable online source to find parts such as this or would i need to go to the dealer since it is kind of specialty item?
thanks in advance!!!

Our cars use a Electronic Tach.

The tach signal is provided via the Coil? I sure

so check the coil and the dizzy.

otherwise on the back of the cluster there is a replaceable box on the back of the tach, if thats the case just replace the cluster and swap your speedo in.

And P.S.

For OEM Honda parts I go here: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/home.htm
For Replacement Parts I go Here http://www.rockauto.com

Good Luck and :welcome: Welcome!

A18A
11-30-2006, 11:48 PM
tach doesnt use a cable, try checking your distributor, cap and coil for faults, i think the tach is rigged off that

argh forrest beat me

forrest89sei
11-30-2006, 11:52 PM
tach doesnt use a cable, try checking your distributor, cap and coil for faults, i think the tach is rigged off that

argh forrest beat me

LOL

He's right also

DaveEye
12-01-2006, 12:58 AM
wow, i had no idea. i just got the car 2 days and haven't got a repair manual yet. anyways, the needle on the tach bounces around a bit and then kinda stabliizes at an rpm, but it is erratic.

if it's electric and connected to the coil, is there some troubleshooting procedure based on what is happening with the tach needle?

as always, thanks for the fast and great replies. two days on this board and i am amazed at how helpful everyone is!

shepherd79
12-01-2006, 05:59 AM
you can replace stock coil with aftermarket one from accel or MSD or someother brand.

MessyHonda
12-01-2006, 08:34 AM
you can replace stock coil with aftermarket one from accel or MSD or someother brand.

yup...it makes the idle a bit smoother

TWOLOUDNPROUD
12-31-2006, 04:57 PM
tach cable:inout:

lostforawhile
12-31-2006, 05:07 PM
that also could be the ignition module inside of the dis. mine did that before my module went out. check your connections under the dis cap,there are two spade terminals on the unit. just pull off the cap. see if they are loose. if they are a little loose,just pull the connector off and squeeze it a little with a pair of pliars. check all your connections at the coil plugs to see if they are dirty,also check the connector at the side of the dis. to see if it's loose. it's connected to the dis with a screw,thats your igniter ground. if all else fails pull your instrument cluster and see if the screws that form the connections between the circuit board and tach are loose.

ghettogeddy
12-31-2006, 05:39 PM
thanks in advance!!!
theres a spedo cable for the mph but nothing for the tach

MessyHonda
12-31-2006, 05:42 PM
theres a spedo cable for the mph but nothing for the tach

i believe the coil sends the RPM singal to the tach.

ghettogeddy
12-31-2006, 06:03 PM
i believe the coil sends the RPM singal to the tach.
i dident say it dident i was saying there was one for the speedo ive heard people call the speedo the tach before well girls anyway lol

no offense to any of the girls that are 3gees members and know terminology