PDA

View Full Version : Few problems, gauges, shifter.

DACteg
12-01-2006, 12:45 AM
Ok this is like my 5th problem post, but i have faith in the accord.

1. My gas gauge and thermogauge both are not working. All fuses seems good, i tried reseting the ecu and still nothin.

2. Also my automatic shifter is Very hard to pull out of park to any gear, seems real stiff and non-lubed

3. When the accord Was running, when i hit the brakes the car would keep trying to bump forward when stopped.

4. I got a new radiator and it didnt come with a spot for my termosensor. (No the thermogauge didnt work before this either). Will my fans still know to come on?

shepherd79
12-01-2006, 08:28 AM
Ok this is like my 5th problem post, but i have faith in the accord.
1. My gas gauge and thermogauge both are not working. All fuses seems good, i tried reseting the ecu and still nothin.

it could be your dash. the gauges itself on the inside are very sensetive and have very small thin wires. if one of them breaks the gauge doesn't work. get another gauge from junk yard. You can swap your original speedometer very easy, just a few screws.

2. Also my automatic shifter is Very hard to pull out of park to any gear, seems real stiff and non-lubed

you can take the center console apart and try lubing it. it is simple enough to do.

3. When the accord Was running, when i hit the brakes the car would keep trying to bump forward when stopped.

sounds like the auto tranny needs oil flush. take it to HONDA dealer and let them flush out the system. or you can do it yourself. buy a case of Honda ATF, drain the old oil and fill with new. drive for about 500 miles. and do it again. this way you can get all of the oil out. it helped a lot of people on this board. Don't try to use cheap stuff. Honda ATF is the best for our cars.

4. I got a new radiator and it didnt come with a spot for my termosensor. (No the thermogauge didnt work before this either). Will my fans still know to come on?

no your fans will not work. you need that switch to activate them. Where did you get your radiator from? take it back and get it from somewhere else.

POS carb
12-06-2006, 03:53 PM
#1 fuel gauges make sure your #2 dashboard fuse is good.... There is also some kind of voltage regulator in the cluster that changes the signal to 7 volts, this passes through the gauges and is grounded through the sensors.

#2 stiff auto shifter, this is usually caused when the selector cable is bent, usually this is bent by where it plugs into the transmission. If you have recently had any major work done to the car this is very likely. Try to get it as straight as possible... replacing it with a junkyard cable is probably the cheapest fix. Opening up the console to lube it is a lot easier than replacing the cable and it is beneficial to the car, but I doubt that lack of grease at the shifter can cause enough resistance to be annoying. My $ is on that cable.

#3 your idle speed may be too high... The carburetor has a linkage on the driver's side that opens the throttle when you are in gear, this may need a tweak.
tranny flushes make the car feel like new, i'd do it anyway as suggested above.

#4 fans will not run without the sensor unless you put a jumper wire between the wires of the plug, if you jump the wires then the fans will turn on anytime the key is in the "ON" position, even if the car is cold. I'd change the radiator. If you already mounted it and cannot return it then try and modify the thermostat housing so you can screw it in there. you'll probably have to extend the wires also.