PDA

View Full Version : Engine Mounts

HondaBoy
12-01-2006, 10:32 AM
well, from the time i first had the car till now, the engine mounts are bad. not horrible, but not that great. so now i'm considering replacing all of them. i have bought rubber mounts from the parts store, but they deteriorated within a few years. for example my dog bone mount, replaced the rubber inserts and is now almost completely deteriorated. pretty much dry rotted. i'm thinking i should just order some from honda. every thing i've bought from honda has fitted correctly and been of high quality. i looked through the online catalogue for the mounts that i will need. front, rear and left side mount, 2 inserts for the dog bone, and one rubber piece under the transmission. comes out to $196.03, which i wouldnt mind paying considering they are genuine honda parts and not some crap. i could pay about $173 for the same stuff, minus the transmission piece, from O'reilly auto parts up the street, but its not going to be of the high quality that the honda parts are. and i dont want to have to replace them again in a couple of years. anyways, does that sound good? i mean i'm kinda getting tired of the engine vibrations at idle in gear. otherwise it doesnt seem to be a problem, maybe when the transmission shifts but thats it. also, i would be doing all mounts at one time so they dont get torn up from other bad mounts.

AccordEpicenter
12-01-2006, 10:36 AM
depends how abusive you are. Honda mounts are great for regular driving but for performance use they will still shred

HondaBoy
12-01-2006, 10:46 AM
i think for the kind of driving i do, OEM type mounts would be fine. probably going to push something like 130 hp, thats what i'm shooting for with a new carb setup ontop of the full exhaust that i have. later a cam. but still, if i drive the car fairly easy i should be ok. are there any alternatives for the mounts. maybe something other than rubber material, like some poly mounts? i havent come across any when i've looked.

shepherd79
12-01-2006, 11:15 AM
well you can try some window seal stuff for dog bone. JUst use your old rubber mount. fill entire space with 3M window seal and let it dry. it should be a little stronger and would give you firmer shifts.
you can do the same for the side mount.
but for the front and rear, well it would be a little harder since OEM front one is filled with liquid inside.
the rear one, if it still in one piece you can try fill it the inside and make a mold for outside.

Kabuki
12-01-2006, 11:25 AM
I've found that the 3M Window weld stuff is WAY to expensive, at something like $20 per tube. It's also very stiff. I actually prefer to use the PL brand black polyurethane roof and flashing sealant. It takes a hile to dry, so for a daily driver it's best to have an extra old mount. But it works great. It stiffer and stronger than the stock mount, but not so much that it makes the whole engine vibrate. It's also only $5 a tube.

shepherd79
12-01-2006, 01:41 PM
I've found that the 3M Window weld stuff is WAY to expensive, at something like $20 per tube. It's also very stiff. I actually prefer to use the PL brand black polyurethane roof and flashing sealant. It takes a hile to dry, so for a daily driver it's best to have an extra old mount. But it works great. It stiffer and stronger than the stock mount, but not so much that it makes the whole engine vibrate. It's also only $5 a tube.

how long does it take for it to dry?

MessyHonda
12-01-2006, 07:22 PM
johnny O makes solid mounts...good luck trying to break one of thoes

HondaBoy
12-02-2006, 01:44 AM
well i dont want solid mounts. that is the whole reason for having new ones that dont vibrate the entire car. lol. but yeah, i think i'm just going to go with honda. i've had good luck with their replacement parts, and really they arent too expensive when you order online.

Kabuki
12-04-2006, 01:51 PM
how long does it take for it to dry?

Mine took about a week to cure fully. But if you did thinner layers gradually, it probably would dry quicker. It really made a big difference in the torque rod on my 4G wagon. I plan on doing the others too, if I can just find a customer that needs some of their mounts replaced.... :)

HondaBoy
12-04-2006, 06:21 PM
i may just try that for now. i had done that on my datsuns differential mount. the rubber was all crappy. i used some of the RTV gasketmaker. dried fairly quickly and has really helped. the only way i drive my 280Z is hard and that has held up well. i think i may do this in the next few days. that can atleast help out until i get around to new mounts.

Kabuki
12-07-2006, 01:47 PM
i may just try that for now. i had done that on my datsuns differential mount. the rubber was all crappy. i used some of the RTV gasketmaker. dried fairly quickly and has really helped. the only way i drive my 280Z is hard and that has held up well. i think i may do this in the next few days. that can atleast help out until i get around to new mounts.

Well, that would work too, but RTV is significantly more expensive than a $4 tube of flashing sealant. You can rebuild 2-3 mounts with one 300ml tube. And there are large tubes available too.

HondaBoy
12-07-2006, 01:58 PM
for my datsun, i did even use the whole tube of the RTV stuff. so i dont think that should be a problem. but i will go and look around for the other stuff since i know it works great, probably better.

AccordEpicenter
12-07-2006, 02:25 PM
solid motor mounts>*

MessyHonda
12-07-2006, 02:44 PM
solid motor mounts>*
:nervous: ....way too rough on a DD

HondaBoy
01-21-2007, 07:23 PM
well, i've pretty much shreded my dog bone mount inserts. i really dont think the front rear and side mounts are too bad, but i went from fairly nice shifts to clunky ones. its hitting the metal since there is not rubber left. anyways, i will be ordering some honda ones. those ones from the parts store lasted maybe 3 years. they dry rotted very quickly which is disappointing.

MessyHonda
01-21-2007, 09:27 PM
yeah OEM honda are one of the best ones. hope you get a discount...i know i do since my uncle is a mechanics so that means everthing i get is mechanic price....

HondaBoy
01-21-2007, 11:28 PM
well i've been checking prices on numerous things at my local dealership and online. i'm going to go back with hondaautomotiveparts.com and order again. they are cheaper over all and are pretty quick compared to the dealership, which is kinda wierd if you ask me. but yeah, honda parts FTW!

HondaBoy
01-23-2007, 03:11 PM
well, here's what was left of my dog bone mounts insert. got another one yesterday thanks to wprocomp. makes a hell of a difference. guess you could probably tell that by its condition.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/HondaBoySi87/DSC05595.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/HondaBoySi87/DSC05596.jpg

MessyHonda
01-23-2007, 07:27 PM
wow that thing looks bad....that just means dont get aftermarket mounts that are non honda OEM

HondaBoy
01-23-2007, 08:01 PM
yeah, not going to make that mistake again. i plan to modify this one by filling the space around it and the smaller insert with RTV black sealant or something better like liquid nail stuff which i think drys more stiffly than RTV. anyways, made such a nice difference when the car shifts gears. would be nice if i got a torque strut as some other members have done. but that'll be later on.