PDA

View Full Version : Gears won't engage

Listen2myBASS
12-01-2006, 12:35 PM
this happened once a couple months back but thought nothing of it...but now my car can't move...i put it in 1st or reverse and i hear rubbing and my speedometer moves but my car doesn't...monkey said cheeseburger has the same problem and said it was my syncros...can this be confirmed? i dont have the time or money to get a new trans...

shepherd79
12-01-2006, 01:35 PM
do you have auto or 5 speed?
auto could be the torque converter or low on fluid.
5 speed, your clutch may need adjusting or replaced.

2oodoor
12-01-2006, 01:37 PM
the speedo moves somewhat normally? wierd man that is weird, I would think it woud be in differential final drive area. Not a big failure in these cars I thought.
also check splines inside front hubs, actually, check both ends of CV axles , even if it is just one , that will be the weakest link and it will not move the car.

2oodoor
12-01-2006, 01:41 PM
If speedo was not functioning somewhat normally, I would say pressure plate, clutch fork, TO bearing failure, or a lot of oil on the clutch.
Cv axles may not be correctly.

AccordEpicenter
12-01-2006, 02:00 PM
rofl, this has to be an axle issue, it probably popped out from bad mounts

2oodoor
12-01-2006, 02:08 PM
rofl, this has to be an axle issue, it probably popped out from bad mounts
rofl?
I get the advice but is it funny?
I figured cv axle spline area would have to be ground zero
that is some really sloppy mounts and some hard driving to pop them out, no doubt. maybe they were never popped in right to begin with

Listen2myBASS
12-01-2006, 02:11 PM
ya, like when i press the gas a little and im standing still it moves and if i put it in a gear, the higher the gear the higher the speed...so wait, im getting axel problems from some of u then clutch problems from the rest...i 4got to say that it popped out when i turned...and its done it before if the wheels turned all the way and im accelerating...but now it wont go in gear at all...

2oodoor
12-01-2006, 02:17 PM
ya, like when i press the gas a little and im standing still it moves and if i put it in a gear, the higher the gear the higher the speed...so wait, im getting axel problems from some of u then clutch problems from the rest...i 4got to say that it popped out when i turned...and its done it before if the wheels turned all the way and im accelerating...but now it wont go in gear at all...
I did not say it was clutch problems, read it only if the speedo is not working would I say look at the clutch area. You said the speedo was sorta working so I gave two diferent approachs one with , one with out.
Now that you tell us the rest of the story, I definatley would say you may have damaged splines or retainer for axle.

Listen2myBASS
12-01-2006, 02:23 PM
which splines? or the retainer for my axel aye?

stat1K
12-01-2006, 04:15 PM
couldn't you just replace both axles... they aren't that much money. i've seen the drivers for like 120 and the passenger for like 80.

MessyHonda
12-01-2006, 07:51 PM
couldn't you just replace both axles... they aren't that much money. i've seen the drivers for like 120 and the passenger for like 80.

i paid 89 for both sides :thumbup: