PDA

View Full Version : 3rd gear grinding

88accordlxcarb
12-01-2006, 04:46 PM
So my syncro's are going out on 3rd gear in my car (manual).

I replaced the fluid in my transmission around 2 years ago with Honda MTF, the grind would happen only on fast shifts. Now the grind happens when I go into 3rd no matter what, unless I very slowly put it into gear (very very slowly).

I have read several threads about the GM synchromesh stuff, and I wanted see how people's cars are tolerating the additive after an extended period of time. I firmly believe that Honda MTF is the best stuff for a 3gee tranny, but since one of the gears is damaged, would an additive really be much of an improvement?

Also, could there be metal bits and particles in the fluid from the gear that might be hurting the fluid/not letting it lubricate as well? AKA, should I change the fluid again, with more MTF to try to increase the life of my 3rd gear?

Thanks!

AccordEpicenter
12-02-2006, 10:03 AM
I think hondas mtf is great too, but if youre starting to get a grind or the transmission feels notchy on the mtf, the syncromesh friction modified works like a charm every time. Thats why i run it in both my cars, the accord and the TL. It cured a 3rd gear grind i had in the accord and it got rid of a 2nd and 3rd gear notchiness that i didnt like (pretty common in TLs) both cars drive like new. If you have a very bad grind it might not cure it all the way but itll def make a difference.

ghettogeddy
12-02-2006, 10:08 AM
so scence im putting my new tranny in on the 9th and from what i was told it had 170k but it might have more, shoud i use the syncro mesh or the honda atf

MessyHonda
12-02-2006, 06:46 PM
so scence im putting my new tranny in on the 9th and from what i was told it had 170k but it might have more, shoud i use the syncro mesh or the honda atf

im thinking of changing my trans oil cuz idk when was the last time it was changed...since i only have 140k i can get away with regular oil right?

w261w261
12-02-2006, 07:33 PM
If your sychros are going, double-clutch when you shift up to the affected gear.

88accordlxcarb
12-03-2006, 11:19 AM
In general i would stay away from additives unless they are really needed. The best stuff to put in your transmission, regardless of age is Honda Manual Transmission Fluid. You can only get it at a Honda/Acura dealer, but it is well worth the time/money.

The reason why i asked about synchromesh is becasue it has become apparent that there is real damage to my gears.

AccordEpicenter
12-03-2006, 02:28 PM
yeah if the tranny is in good shape and it doesnt grind, Id just run MTF. Honda says you can run 10w30 but in my experience it makes the transmissions notchy, youre much better off running either MTF or syncromesh.