PDA

View Full Version : Water pump replacement, =(

russiankid
12-01-2006, 06:57 PM
I have 2 little problems i ran into while changing my water pump. When i removed the cover for the thermostat the upper bolt went out fine, but the lower one moved a little bit and then wouldn't move, so i went the otherway to tighten but it just snapped off:rant:. There are plenty of threads left to put pliers on it and get it out, but i used PB blaster and i couldn't get it to move, even my dad couldn't. So how can i get it out? My second problem is the bolt under the water pump that is a pain IMO has like a plug on it so dust doesn't get into or near the oil pump. When i tried to remove it, it came out but the part that goes inside the cover so it stays broke off and i couldn't get it out with the bolt in there. When i removed the bolt it fell somewhere and i cannot find it. So what do i do?

88Accord-DX
12-01-2006, 09:42 PM
Maybe try using some vise grips on the bolt instead of pliers to remove it. (not sure what your asking on the 2nd ? )

russiankid
12-01-2006, 09:45 PM
Maybe try using some vise grips on the bolt instead of pliers to remove it. (not sure what your asking on the 2nd ? )I tried vise grips and it didn't work. My second question, let me reexplain it. What will happen if a piece of semi-hard rubber the size of a nickel or smaller falls into the timing belt/oil pump cover? Will the timing belt suck it up and i will be screwed?

Oldblueaccord
12-01-2006, 09:50 PM
The entire thermostat housing can be taken off and the bolts drilled out hope fully retapped or redrilled to the next size up or heli coiled your choice.

As far as the plastic piece I would keep looking for it it prolly would not be great if it ran thru the timing belt. I dont think it would break it but it might make it jump a tooth.

wp

russiankid
12-01-2006, 09:52 PM
The entire thermostat housing can be taken off and the bolts drilled out hope fully retapped or redrilled to the next size up or heli coiled your choice.
As far as the plastic piece I would keep looking for it it prolly would not be great if it ran thru the timing belt. I dont think it would break it but it might make it jump a tooth.
wpYea i'll try to get it out tomorrow. And i don't think there is a way to get the plastic piece out. I'll keep trying tomorrow. Do you think it can get sucked up from the bottom of the cover?

88Accord-DX
12-01-2006, 09:53 PM
Might have to cut & drill the bolt out if you can't get a bite on it.. Reverse drill bits work sometimes. (or drill & tap it out)
On the nickel plastic piece dropping down in the lower timing belt cover, that is a 50/50 chance the belt can eat it up.

russiankid
12-01-2006, 09:58 PM
Might have to cut & drill the bolt out if you can't get a bite on it.. Reverse drill bits work sometimes. (or drill & tapp it out) On the nickel plastic piece dropping down in the lower timing belt cover, that is a 50/50 chance the belt can eat it up.Thanks for the advice. This may sound stupid pertaining to the plastic piece, but maybe i could use a vacuum cleaner to get that piece sucked back up. I'm pretty sure it didn't fall to the bottom because i would have heard it. I know where it disappeared when i removed the pump because i saw it disappear in that area.

88Accord-DX
12-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Give it a try, I can't really elaborate on it. (bout all I can say on it) :)

russiankid
12-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Give it a try, I can't really elaborate on it. (bout all I can say on it) :)i hope this will work. I can't think of any other way of getting it out besides a coat hanger. Then again if i don't have the hanger going in past that piece it will push it all the way down. If i have suction that should work. It doesn't weight alot so lets just hope it works.:sadwave:

88Accord-DX
12-01-2006, 10:09 PM
If it was a bolt you dopped in there, then I would worry. Since it's plastic, it will be chewed up by the crank spocket for the most part.

russiankid
12-01-2006, 10:11 PM
If it was a bolt you dopped in there, then I would worry. Since it's plastic, it will be chewed up by the crank spocket for the most part.Still worries me.

88Accord-DX
12-01-2006, 10:17 PM
Still worries me.
If you can't sleep at night over it, you will need to break off that crankshaft bolt & remove the lower timing belt cover... :lol:

MessyHonda
12-02-2006, 01:07 AM
If you can't sleep at night over it, you will need to break off that crankshaft bolt & remove the lower timing belt cover... :lol:

been there done that :thumbup:

russiankid
12-02-2006, 05:34 AM
Yea screw that. I can sleep over it just i don't want the timing belt to skip a tooth or snap so i dont get bent valves.

DBMaster
12-02-2006, 12:26 PM
I would not loose any sleep over the piece of plastic!