PDA

View Full Version : n00b warning(a-pexi s-afcII)

propr'one
12-02-2006, 02:54 AM
As some of you who have helped me already with my audio install know, i'm a COMPLETE noob when it comes to hondas. (but i did do some reading)

I've learned that my LX-i (even though it has a Ex-i badge on it) doesn't have central computer controlled timing for the cylinders.

Now i have an A'PEXi S-AFCII that i just bought for my bmw. Since i live in canada, it will be practically forever until i see that car again, and my honda is growing on me, so i'd like to treat it (myself:D)

Is it possible to wire up the apexi to my accord?

Is there a plug and play harness?
(if there isn't, i found a link to ECU pinouts on all 3 connectors, should come in handy)

Overall, is there any reason why this wouldn't work?

Thanks in advance guys. Every time i drive my honda i learn more and more why so many people love these things:)

AccordEpicenter
12-02-2006, 09:59 AM
itll work but there is no plug and play harness, youd need to wire it in manually with the ecu under the seat.

snoopyloopy
12-02-2006, 10:12 AM
^what he said^
but anything is possible with enough time, interest, and money. if you already have it, then it's mostly a matter of time and interest.

MessyHonda
12-02-2006, 10:36 AM
people like do to OBD1 for turbo set ups

shepherd79
12-02-2006, 11:04 AM
it would be waist of your time to wire it up.
unless you have turbo, supercharger, Nitrous or build up NA engine, you won't see any diff.

bobafett
12-02-2006, 11:14 AM
i have an safc2 hooked up on my car. it was not very difficult. my only advice is to make sure you don't let anyone else wire it up for you. i had a couple people help me and it was all messed up. i took my time and looking through a wiring diagram and got it working perfectly after redoing all the wires except the power wire hahaha...

i agree with people that on a totally stock accord, its not going to give you a lot of gain. also, this doesnt control timing either.... all it does is intercept the map sensor signal before your ECU reads it, and it fools the car into thinking there is more/less air that there really is, and allows the fuel injectors to compensate. :)

if you REAAAAALLLY want to install it I can probably help guide you in the right direction.

AccordEpicenter
12-02-2006, 11:39 AM
true, it makes no difference in timing, plus i didnt notice a difference messing around with it when i was NA, so unless youre going boosted or somthing like that its not really worth it

AccordEpicenter
12-02-2006, 02:50 PM
i retarded my cam and advanced my ignition timing

MessyHonda
12-02-2006, 06:59 PM
also get a 4th gen accord map sensor...they give you top end.

propr'one
12-03-2006, 01:58 AM
I think i'm going to try to wire it up. Not really for performance gains, just cause i like fiddling with cars, and already bought the apexi.

thanks guys!

also, since it controls throttle position, can't it trick the motor into advancing the timing?

bobafett
12-03-2006, 09:35 AM
it only monitors throttle position to determine how much correction factor to use on the injectors. and it has a self learning function, so that if your true foot to the floor throttle position is only 90%, you hold it on the floor until it reaches 100%, and then let off, and it will say like 8%, and you wait until 0%, and repeat, it just learns your cars range of throttle positions, and then uses it to choose which correction value.

the safc2 has 'hi throttle' and 'low throttle' correction settings, and you can pick the points at which these occur. i think i had my set for like 35% (low throttle) and 65% (high throttle).

the safc needs to know tps to know which map to use. ALLLLLLLLL this device does is trick the computer into thinking there is more or less air than there really is, and it causes the injectors to inject more or less fuel than it would have, but you can use that to your advantage to tune a bit more power.

and timing is controlled only by vacuum lines on these cars. :) purely mechanical. :( there is nothing we can do about it except convert to obd1. >:)