PDA

View Full Version : egr blockoff plate???

nskforlife
12-02-2006, 05:35 PM
ever since my car wasn't running well. i've been having problems with my egr valve.

i've been reading up on them and i've noticed that some models have blockoff blates for the egr valve. and since it only pushes hot air back into the motor(Exhaust Gas Recirculation) would there be any way i could get one...

BTW: all for all those people who want a cai, the egr valve would be the equivalent of a cai in power, that's if i'm not mistaken.... but honestly i dont know.

any and all help would be appreciated. thanks :)

shepherd79
12-02-2006, 07:32 PM
actualy when i blocked my EGR valve it caused more problems with idle. you wouldn't see any real HP gains.
when i unpluged EGR back to normal my car ran smoother and a lot better on top end.
what kind problems do you have with your EGR valve?

nskforlife
12-03-2006, 03:13 PM
it's not working properly, i asked a guy why it went wrong at the same as my alternator did, he said that it is clogged due to carbon buildup, and that i just need to clean it. how would i go about cleaning it???

MessyHonda
12-04-2006, 12:13 AM
it's not working properly, i asked a guy why it went wrong at the same as my alternator did, he said that it is clogged due to carbon buildup, and that i just need to clean it. how would i go about cleaning it???

seafoam!...naw jk....get a new one...i dont think they are that much.

shepherd79
12-04-2006, 06:42 AM
it is easy to clean. take it out and use carb cleaner or engine degreaser to clean it.

Kabuki
12-04-2006, 01:40 PM
Yeah, two bolts and a new gasket. Gasket part number is 18715-PB2-000, and Honda list is $5.52

russiankid
12-04-2006, 02:18 PM
If you are going to take it off make sure you soak the bolts in PB blaster or any penetrating lube for a good 2hrs before trying to get them loose.

nskforlife
12-04-2006, 02:50 PM
lol i dont know what pb blaster is, but it sounds like wd-40 would do the same trick. thanks everyone, i'll tell you how it goes. i might go to a junkyard and get one since they have like 15 3g's there, and i also like doing that cause it gives me experience in taking one off. and taking something off the 1st time is what i have the most problems with. appreciate it :)

russiankid
12-04-2006, 02:58 PM
lol i dont know what pb blaster is, but it sounds like wd-40 would do the same trick. thanks everyone, i'll tell you how it goes. i might go to a junkyard and get one since they have like 15 3g's there, and i also like doing that cause it gives me experience in taking one off. and taking something off the 1st time is what i have the most problems with. appreciate it :)
I also recommend using a pipe wrench. PB blaster is pretty much like WD-40 but i like it better. It breaks any rusty bolts loose. Any automotive store has it. I don't think it's expensive either.

Good Luck!

shepherd79
12-04-2006, 02:58 PM
if oyu are going to junk yard, make sure you bring vacuum pump.
99.9% EGR failure is caused by vacuum diaphram not be able to hold steady vacuum.

russiankid
12-04-2006, 03:02 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000GHUZPM.01-A3AAUQE01ME5EO._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

nskforlife
12-04-2006, 03:52 PM
http://www.wd40.com/Brands/jpg/bug_big_blast.jpg
thanks buddy, i got some of this lying around....

87lxiaccord
12-04-2006, 04:41 PM
my junkyard charges like $35 just for an egr valve so it might be better just to clean the one you have first and see if that works

nskforlife
12-05-2006, 03:11 PM
that's what i wanna do, but noones told me how.
but if i have to go get another one, i go to pull-a-part and bring a toolbox that's mainly empty. get something of little value yet needed (like a door handle or something) and pay for that, walk out with the egr valve and viola!!!!
plus the place i go 2 charges CHEAP!!!!
if they had a turbo on the lot they'd sell it for 35$
intercooler 40$
4cyl motor, 140$ i think you get the point..
i got a cupholder bracket, the centerconsole area (actually 2), and the armrest and the door panel for a whopping 27$.

MessyHonda
12-05-2006, 04:23 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000GHUZPM.01-A3AAUQE01ME5EO._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

i got some of that stuff today...damn it works in minutes..lol

nskforlife
12-05-2006, 06:22 PM
and what do i do with this pb stuff???
take it off and let it soak in it???

russiankid
12-05-2006, 06:33 PM
and what do i do with this pb stuff???
take it off and let it soak in it???
No, you spray it onto the threads like every 5 minutes, just spray it more on the threads you see on the bolt. This stuff goes through all the threads and breaks them loose. It helps a lot so you dont actually break the bolt you unscrew it.

POS carb
12-06-2006, 01:45 PM
test the egr
apply vacuum to the opener, it should hold. if not, replace the EGR valve
it it holds, try the test again with the engine running, it should run rough or turn off when you apply vacuum to the valve if it works properly.
If you just have shitty idle period then it is possible that the valve needs cleaning or replacing, but bad idle most likely comes from other areas

To block the EGR (assuming your valve is good) cut the pipe about 4 inches from the manifold. Remove this small piece of pipe and hammer the cut end flat. fold it over, bang flat again, fold over again, bang flat again, until it looks like a tube of toothpaste that has been rolled up. Screw that back into the exhaust manifold. That plugs the exhaust. Removing and plugging the vacuum line that goes to the EGR valve will seal the intake side.

88Accord-DX
12-06-2006, 07:28 PM
The EGR valve allows burned exhaust gases to enter the intake manifold to help reduce NOx emissions. If you block it off, it will mess with your idle which can cause the engine to stall & will or could upset the air/fuel ratio. (not a good idea IMO)

Kabuki
12-07-2006, 12:26 PM
You need to test the valve you have before you go removing and replacing it. Also, a pipe wrench has no business being in the engine bay of a car. And those nuts aren't generally THAT stuck, to where you even need a chemical to release it.

nskforlife
12-07-2006, 09:03 PM
ya. my car isn't idling at all right now, lol. it's fine in gear, still rough idle, but when put in neutral it will stall. i'm gonna clean it and see if that is the only problem. if so, sweet. if not, its time for new egr valve. how much do they run for a new one???

88Accord-DX
12-07-2006, 09:12 PM
O'Reillys has them for about $128 .. (not a cheap part)

Edit- your 5 finger discount you get at the pull-a-part sounds like a better deal. :lol:

nskforlife
12-07-2006, 10:22 PM
whoa!!!! i'll try my bets with cleaning mine first. lol that's a crazy amount of money....