PDA

View Full Version : need help bettery light showing

accord89carb
12-03-2006, 06:54 AM
accord 89 LX manual carb.
hello guys i need little help.when i drive the car the light use to come and go i checked all the wire were good so what i did i took out the light bulb of battery from the speedometer and i drove the car for while then what i found that the bettery was not charging because i took out the bulb of bettery checking from speedometer.when i installed the bulb again then the bettery was charging and the light went off.after 2 days the same problem came again the light was comming and going then i took the light bulb out again and installed it so since that time when i turn the key on ACC the light should stay but its not staying when i turn the key on ACC the goes off after 1 second so please can any one tell me what is it and i am really sorry about my english i hope you people understanding what i am saying ...lol:D

and one thing more i want to take out the speedometer please can any one tell me how should i remove the speedometer cover i only found 2 screws on the top and i cant find others it look like the front have the screws aswell but i cant find it.

Tomisimo
12-03-2006, 08:01 AM
It sems like you have oxade in ECU contakt, i had same problem but with PGM-FI light, i took it out (ecu) and cleaned oxide around those aluminium contakts and inside ECU it self (in holes for wire). now problem free :)

accord89carb
12-03-2006, 08:18 AM
please can you tell me where ECU should be in my car i mean is it in the hood or interrior?do you have the picture?and i like to know what is PGM-FI light?what do you call that thing which you cleaned your car ECU?

87lxiaccord
12-03-2006, 08:38 AM
it's underneath the driver's seat and you should get a manual they help alot with this kind of trouble shooting

russiankid
12-03-2006, 09:29 AM
Last time i checked an LX doesn't have an ECU

MessyHonda
12-03-2006, 09:45 AM
Last time i checked an LX doesn't have an ECU

lol but it still has a computer under the seat.

accord89carb
12-03-2006, 10:16 AM
i like to know my car is having the bettery lighting problem do you people think its an ECU problem?cause when i do ignation to ACC after 1 second the light goes off if you guys think its some thing else too please let me know.
Thanks

88Accord-DX
12-03-2006, 10:23 AM
Well, since you kept pulling the bulb out a few times, check to see if the filimant in the bulb is good & the connector pins inside it are making good contact. Another way to see if the alternator is charging is to hook up a voltmeter to battery when the car is started, should be reading about 14.5 volts. The voltage regulator is in the alternator too.
On carb models, that box under the seat is for emissions crap.

accord89carb
12-03-2006, 10:36 AM
i checked the filimant in the bulb and the connector they all r good. emissions??sorry i didnt understand so u mean i dont need to cheack the box under the seat?its nothing to do with the beterry light problem?and i like to know one thing more when i take out the bettery bulb in the speedometer then the car bettery doesnt charge do u think it should be like this?

ghettogeddy
12-03-2006, 10:43 AM
is the alt or the battery any good just wondering cause normally when the light goes on it means the alt or battery is to blame and u have to take the switches out of the dash on each side of the wheel there are screws behind it

88Accord-DX
12-03-2006, 10:53 AM
That box under the seat is for emissions, nothing to do with charging. There is a charging light indicator in the circuit. (which I think you pulled out)

I don't have a better wiring schematic right now other than Chilton & Haynes.

accord89carb
12-03-2006, 11:02 AM
2 months ago the belt was sliping and making noice like when the belt slip i did tight the sound went off but the light use to come and go but when i use to put the key on ACC I USE to see the battery light now when i put on ACC the bettery light goes off after 1 secound so this is the main problem i want to know what it could be.the bettery is good and look like alt is good too.

accord89carb
12-03-2006, 11:05 AM
like you said There is a charging light indicator in the circuit. (which I think you pulled out) are you talking about in the speedometer?

ghettogeddy
12-03-2006, 11:05 AM
u cant just look at the alt have u had it tested u can test them while there on the car i would def test it first

88Accord-DX
12-03-2006, 11:12 AM
There is an old school way of checking the alternator since your carbed & not much to worry about. While the car is running, pull the negative battery cable off the battery. If the car stays running, the alternator is good. If your car dies, the alternator isn't working. (don't recommend this on cars with ECUs or PCMs)

accord89carb
12-03-2006, 11:28 AM
i pull the negative battery cable off the engine is still running

88Accord-DX
12-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Good, sounds like everything is working. I wouldn't worry about the battery light going off after one second in the ACC position too much.

accord89carb
12-03-2006, 03:31 PM
there was a problem with bettery light when i use to put on acc after 1 secound the light use to turn off well since i took the bettery wire off and connect again now its working normaly. i took out the better wire and there should be bettery light comming i didnt see that after 2 minute the engine stop it self so it look like there is a problem with alt.am i right?

nskforlife
12-03-2006, 08:03 PM
dude, just take it to your local autoparts store and have them check everything.
i should've got all my stuff checked but i didn't and i paid the price.
alternator was bad, but it took me replacing the starter and having the battery charged to figure it out.

go get your electrical problems checked out at an auto store. and dont tell them what you think is wrong, just tell them you dont know and need everything checked. from the starter to the battery, alternator included.

Crazybird
12-03-2006, 09:42 PM
good thing ur alt is good cause its kinda bitch to get out

MessyHonda
12-04-2006, 01:11 AM
idk if any one has said this yet? but have you checked your grounds?

accord89carb
12-04-2006, 03:59 AM
how should i check the ground?where can i find ground wire?is it the same ground wire which is connect on the engine valve cover and going to the body?and please can you tell me if i want to take out the alternator what is the easy way to take it out?

MessyHonda
12-04-2006, 08:20 AM
how should i check the ground?where can i find ground wire?is it the same ground wire which is connect on the engine valve cover and going to the body?and please can you tell me if i want to take out the alternator what is the easy way to take it out?

yeah ground wires are like this..http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55980

accord89carb
12-04-2006, 10:34 AM
2day i start the car and didnt start the heater,stereo,healight i left the car start for 15 minutes then i didnt see any betttery light comming because the bettery was getting charged i noticed when ever i play stereo,switch on headlights,and heater fan then the interrior light goes dim then the bettery light comes after 10 or 15 minutes so what you guys think what it could be?is it a carbon bush which is not charging correctly or some thing else.

88Accord-DX
12-04-2006, 06:46 PM
Probably need to yank that alternator out & have it checked to see if it is working right without a good Digitial volt meter.

accord89carb
12-05-2006, 05:15 AM
ok i will try like that.thanks guys

Blkblurr
12-05-2006, 08:43 AM
The battery light is supposed to come on when you turn the ignition on as a lamp test. The reason I feel your light is coming on and off when driving is because you have a loose or worn alternator belt. As you turn on things in your car that use lots of power such as headlights, brake lights or AC a large load is put on the alt and makes it hard to turn. If your belt is loose or worn, it will slip causing a low voltage condition and triggering the battery light to come on. Your alt can be good and this may still happen.

accord89carb
12-05-2006, 12:38 PM
i like to know what will happen if the carbun bush need to be change?will it make same problem like my car having?

Blkblurr
12-06-2006, 07:51 AM
Normally when the brushes go bad the alternator quits working completely. It is possible that they are causing this problem

accord89carb
12-06-2006, 07:55 AM
when i remove the grip from the altanator i saw oil in it. it was like oily.i like to know the grip which goes in the altanator should be dry or little oily?

shepherd79
12-06-2006, 10:08 AM
the alternator should be dry. It should have no oil in it or on it.
1st. thing to do is check all the cables. positive and ground cables. make sure the battery post are clean and all the ground wires are connected. If they look old, i would recomend replacing them.
2nd. thing to do is check your battery and alternator. take it to adavnce auto or autozone and let them check your battery and alternator while the car is running. this will show if your alternator is dead or you need a new battery.
Since you have big stereo in your car, i would recomend replacing battery with oversized battery. Try to get 850cca battery. it should do the trick. this should eliminate the dimming lights and give you better running engine.

accord89carb
12-06-2006, 10:58 AM
my car have original honda stereo and there is no oil in alt the oil i found in the wire grip which goes in alt.the problem is in the speedometer the light of the bettery comes and goes which means its charging and stop charging.i checked all the wire connection they are good and bettery termanal are clean.when i turn the key in ACC the bettery light in speedometer goes off in less then second.well i will be free on monday so i will try to take out the alt and see what is the problem.before taking out i will try to clean the oil from alt wire grip i dont understand how come it was oily.do you think that the light problem comming because of oil?

POS carb
12-06-2006, 12:45 PM
accord 89 LX manual carb.
hello guys i need little help.when i drive the car the light use to come and go i checked all the wire were good so what i did i took out the light bulb of battery from the speedometer and i drove the car for while then what i found that the bettery was not charging because i took out the bulb of bettery checking from speedometer.

and one thing more i want to take out the speedometer please can any one tell me how should i remove the speedometer cover i only found 2 screws on the top and i cant find others it look like the front have the screws aswell but i cant find it.

Hello
Battery light gets its signal from the alternator's voltage regulator (it is an internal regulator)
It will come on if:
Alternator belt is loose
alternator is faulty (not charging correctly)

If the alternator belt is not loose you should replace the alternator.
If the bulb does not come on at all you probably have a blown fuse
Yes, oil in the alternator could cause problems! The oil is probably from the power steering hoses or the valve cover

To remove the speedometer cover:
remove the two screws on top, behind the plastic cover.
Then you must remove the switches on the bottom (defogger, dimmer, etc) and behind those switches are the other screws (4 more I think)

POS carb
12-06-2006, 12:48 PM
Hope this helps:

Check dashboard fuse #1 (15 Amps)
also check engine fuse # 8 (10 Amps)

accord89carb
12-06-2006, 01:02 PM
on the wire grip there is no oil.oil is inside the grip where is the wire clip which connect inside the alt.and my car doesnt leak any oil .dam man i am tottaly confused lol well first thing i will do to clean the wire grip if it didnt work then will open the alt and check the alt brushes.

POS carb
12-06-2006, 01:20 PM
if the wire has oil nothing really will happen, I thought you meant there was oil inside the alternator. most likely you need a new one, but check those fuses first!!

accord89carb
12-06-2006, 01:37 PM
i checked both fuse they r good.i think the light start comming since 2 month because i sprayed on the engine with greece remover to clean oil because b4 i change the valve cover seal so i sprayed every where and then washed inside the hood after that time the light start comming and going.and i like to know when the alt take load does it get hard to turn?before the belt was sliping and was making noice so after little time i tight the belt do you think the belt still sliping ?there is no noice comming from the belt.

POS carb
12-06-2006, 01:47 PM
the alternator shares the belt with the water pump
the power steering has its own belt, you would not feel any changes in the steering if the alternator belt slips

accord89carb
12-15-2006, 10:04 PM
hi
i remove all the altanator bolts and i took out one wire grip and there is one more wire was bolt i tired to open but broked from the clip so please tell me what should i do now?and which side is better to take out the altanator do u think from driver side or passanger side?please explain me how to take it out.

MessyHonda
12-15-2006, 10:28 PM
on the carb its harder to take out the alternator...some ppl take out the axle so it slides out.

accord89carb
12-15-2006, 10:35 PM
what stuff do i take out to take out the axel?i tried to take ou the altanator lower bracket and i couldnt is the lower bracket important to take out?if yes please explane me how to take it out?

MessyHonda
12-15-2006, 10:50 PM

Disconnect the negative battery cable.

Elevate and safely support the vehicle.

Remove the splash shield from under the vehicle.

Disconnect the left driveshaft from the steering knuckle. Refer to Drive Train for procedure.

Unplug the multi-pin connector from the back of the alternator. Remove the clip from the harness bracket.

http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/medium/0900823d800cf901.gif

Remove the terminal nut and disconnect the white wire from the B terminal.

Remove the alternator pivot or upper bolt and nut, then remove the belt from the alternator pulley.

Support the alternator; remove the through-bolt and remove the alternator.

The alternator mount or bracket may be removed if desired.

A18A
12-15-2006, 11:38 PM
i love our RHD cars :) just jack it up, un bolt it, and its out :) no need to remove any gaurds or axle

accord89carb
12-15-2006, 11:59 PM
lol well tel me what should i do know?now i am stuck with the altanator:D

russiankid
12-16-2006, 10:26 AM
lol well tel me what should i do know?now i am stuck with the altanator:D
Take off the axle and drop it down:)

accord89carb
12-16-2006, 10:55 AM
i remove the alternator when i open i saw the brushes need to be change and little problem when i was opening the screw near the brushes there is electrical thing with 3 screws one side of where the screw goes broked and u know the screw connect with the wire so i like to know can i soldering that thing or need to get new alternator?

accord89carb
12-16-2006, 04:52 PM
hello i am from canada quebec can any1 tell me from where can i get alternator brushing.i mean only brushing witout spring and cover.

accord89carb
12-22-2006, 09:36 AM
hello guys i changed the brushes of alternator now the problem is the bettery light shows when the key is on ACC when i start my car the light doesnt go off and when i start the engine when the car get warm the light goes off and when i shut down the engine and turn the key again on ACC the light comes for 1 second then goes off and i notice when the light get off after one secound i can hear the trip off noise in side the hood.i like to know what is it ?and one thing more when the light shows when the engine is running the idle goes high till 2500 k rpm.when light doesnt show the speed idle become normal.