PDA

View Full Version : Power wire through firewall?

propr'one
12-03-2006, 07:04 PM
I'll keep this short

I want to wire up my sub to my HU (aftermarket). I know how to do everything, except get a power lead from the battery through the firewall. I'll just ground it to the frame in the trunk.

Any advice?

Thanks!!

ghettogeddy
12-03-2006, 07:06 PM
i drilled a hole just under the vacume control box like half inch above the weld lol ill try and get a pic of it tomorrow

propr'one
12-03-2006, 07:31 PM
haha thanks, pic would be great, i have NO idea where/what a vaccum control box is

ghettogeddy
12-03-2006, 07:34 PM
well if your standing in front of the car and look to your left on the firewall there should be a black box with some hoses coming out if u look under there there should be a open area just drill right therei did mine forim the inside and almost took the weld out lol but ill take a pic just so u know lol if i get a chance

jschatte
12-03-2006, 07:35 PM
i popped a hole in the little rubber plug on the fire wall that is directly behind the glovebox. I think there are a couple different plugs, so you have a couple choices

propr'one
12-03-2006, 07:37 PM
so i'd have to remove the glovebox to do this?

2ndGenGuy
12-03-2006, 08:06 PM
You are best off using an exisiting hole. There should be some in the firewall that already have wires running through them, and you should be able to stuff another wire or two in that grommet. Usually there are empty grommets that you can just pop out and poke a hole in. Put the wire through a grommet for sure. You don't want that power wire rubbing on the metal and making a direct short from your battery to the body. That will start a fire for sure.

propr'one
12-03-2006, 08:15 PM
I looked, couldn't seem to find any.

I'll either put a grommet in, or wrap the wire with duct tape/cardboard

Crazybird
12-03-2006, 08:31 PM
oh my another manitoban im guessing winnipeg

wicked sweet

propr'one
12-03-2006, 08:55 PM
lol nope, i'm in ontario. i set that wrong:(

see, i really am a noob

Crazybird
12-03-2006, 09:34 PM
aww boo i want more manitobans here

RamThis
12-03-2006, 10:34 PM
I looked, couldn't seem to find any.

I'll either put a grommet in, or wrap the wire with duct tape/cardboard

You can get grommets at any hardware store or auto parts store basically, please dont use duct tape and cardboard (as that will wear out too anyway) You can get grommets in many sizes, you'd probably need one for a 1/2" hole. Reason the drilled hole will be so large is because the grommet will reduce the size some because it has to be thick enough to protect the wire from the metal. If there's any gap around the wire, use some clear silicone or Permatex Ultra-Black sealant to keep water from getting into the cabin. Duct tape and cardboard is redneck, more like what you'd expect of a Texan like myself to do, not a northerner LOL. You really want to "Southern Engineer" your car????

Also MAKE SURE you use an In Line fuse as close to the battery as possible. This ensures if anything happens to that hot lead, the fuse will instantly blow severing the battery connection. I cannot stress this enough!!

MessyHonda
12-04-2006, 01:31 AM
i just used the groment that is above the pedals....it worked great for a 5 guage cable..you can prob fit a 2 guage with no problem.

Jasonf860
12-04-2006, 05:32 AM
i just used the groment that is above the pedals....it worked great for a 5 guage cable..you can prob fit a 2 guage with no problem.
That is the same grommet I used. I ran a 4, 8 and 10 gage all through the same spot with no problems.

propr'one
12-07-2006, 04:02 AM
I'll give it a shot. My accord isn't nearly as nice as yous guys', so i'm not too worried. There's a fuse before my audio system, i paid 6X more for it than my honda. (its out of the other car)

Im going to give this a shot today or tomorrow, thanks for your help fellas. wish me luck.

(us young guys need our bass, no?:D)

Jasonf860
12-07-2006, 04:28 AM
(us young guys need our bass, no?:D)
Hey, I'm 32 and not so "young"! I still like my Bass! My kids like the way it "massages" their backs! HA HA!

MessyHonda
12-07-2006, 08:10 AM
Hey, I'm 32 and not so "young"! I still like my Bass! My kids like the way it "massages" their backs! HA HA!

lol that is wut my freinds said....btw they are girls...so i had to keep it low cuz they talked and talked and talked...lol,,,i was into loud music now im into clean music....1 10 is good for me now...hehe

Jasonf860
12-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Yep, that is what I have now. 1 10".

MessyHonda
12-07-2006, 08:25 AM
Yep, that is what I have now. 1 10".

lol cool...mine is just a basic kicker 300 watts peak 150RMS....i have 2 of em but i need to get a 2ch amp. i just had one in my dx b4 it got broken into.