PDA

View Full Version : Battery drain! Fans come on when the car has been off for 3 days!

gsus
12-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Okay, So I've decided to start a new thread because i need to take my MR2 out of these snowy conditions, and start putting my winter car to use.
This past week I was working on my timing belt and due to my limited time I had the car down for 3 days before being able to come back to it & finish the job. Anyhow, when I finally started to work on the car to finish up, I heard something running... I then realized that it was my drivers side radiator fan that was spinning (keep in mind the car has not been on in 3 days, and the temperature has been in the low 30's/high 20's.) This explains why earlier that week my battery was dying... but i originally figured it was due to the drastic change in temperatures here (went from 60 degrees Fahrenheit to 30 degrees overnight earlier in the week.). And last night when I brought it back home, i had charged the car back up, and in the morning the battery was completely dead, the dashlights were super dim, and the door lights one the dash didn't even come on when the doors were opened.
So what could be causing my radiator fans to come on even when the car's ignition has not been used for 3 days and the engine is freezing cold?
I'm hoping this is a simple fix, but I don't know what to look for. I tried doing a search... and gathered that the fans stay on for a bit (~15mins) after the car turns off, but mine hasnt been on for days. I was unable to find a similar situation to mine with the searches i made though...
TIA

shepherd79
12-04-2006, 06:44 AM
the driver side fan is AC fan. Passenger side fan is for regular overheating.
So i think you have an issue with AC shorting out somewhere.

gsus
12-04-2006, 07:09 AM
Ah! Great, so then I can just disconnect that for now because my car doesn’t even have a belt on the A/C. Is there a sensor or computer (or both?) that controls the fan? I definitely want the car in working order for all seasons… I just wont be able to look into, until it gets warmer. I’m hoping that my disconnecting the fan will be a quick fix for now.

Thanks for your input!