PDA

View Full Version : I hate rusty parts, but I found a way to reverse rust...

offthahook
12-06-2006, 12:06 AM
This stuff only works in certain situations. You can't spray it, then watch the rust instantly disappear. You really can't use it on painted surfaces either. BUT if you have bolts and such that are off the car (somehow), this stuff WILL bring them back... www.safestrustremover.com
Here are some photos I personally took of some bumper bolts I personally derusted. Took about 3 hours of soaking.
81accordrustedbolts (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2403971/3)
You guys ever used it before? Kinda pricey, but if you use it right it is the shiz...

carotman
12-06-2006, 01:39 AM
WOW!

Where did you buy this stuff?

AccordB20A
12-06-2006, 02:14 AM
we have a suimular item here called rust converter.. basically brush it on and wash off instandly no more rust bare shiny metal

reanimator420
12-06-2006, 03:46 AM
we use stuff called ospho? wrong spelling. it does the smae thing and works wonders

79cord
12-06-2006, 04:44 AM
Never thought to soak parts in it over a period of time.

Always find the middle bumper coachbolts the worst to have to undo...always rusting solid on the thread & the coach-bolts turning in their holes. I've had to cut slots in the bottom of a few to hold them with a screw driver so I could unbolt their nuts.

MessyHonda
12-06-2006, 04:49 AM
i used some of that navy jelly.....on my headers.....it took along time...i didnt paint them and they started to rust again...lol damn pacesettters.

Cheeseburger
12-06-2006, 08:15 AM
good thing i dont need that :)

2ndGenGuy
12-06-2006, 08:19 AM
I recognize those bolts! They were a bitch to get out of that car because of all the rust. It's amazing how nice they turned out after soaking them! Gonna have to get me some of that stuff! Damn!

w261w261
12-06-2006, 11:02 AM
Most of the rust converter stuff is phosphoric acid, 10%-20% concentrate. Milkstone Remover, pool tile cleaner, a product at KMart called "The Must for Rust," etc. It's good for getting the rust out of old motorcycle gas tanks, for instance. I used it to clean out the inside of the coolant bottle.

MECM
12-06-2006, 12:40 PM
you could also put some baking soda in some water hook up a battery charger up and watch it work its magic! :)

offthahook
12-06-2006, 02:29 PM
I just got the stuff at www.safestrustremover.com and shipping might get expensive for some of you guys far from New Jersey. Yeah, it has to be soaked which sometimes sucks because you have to get the rusted part off the car. That can mean destroying the parts you want to derust!! The solution also works best inside about 70 degrees and if the part and solution can be covered. When it's all finished, you have bare metal, so you have to coat it somehow or else it will rust again. This stuff I used is not acid, so everything else is protected from any harm/breakdown. Definitely good for swishing around old tanks that have rust in them, but it's (again) pricey to just do something like that. It has done wonders on all my stuff, but you have to understand it isn't instant and it will not penetrate paint, grime, undercoating, etc. It does actually reverse the rust process. It's cool to see the pocks that the serious rust has created on a bolt.

79cord
12-06-2006, 08:26 PM
It does actually reverse the rust process. It's cool to see the pocks that the serious rust has created on a bolt.

Sorry but that comment just begs for a tease, I've a few Honda Z, that could do with a bath in that! - to fill in the 6 inch holes in bonnet & roof, doors that fell off, no sills/floors -20yrs unsheltered & immobile beside the sea.
Good for removing the rusted material & get you back to solid metal though.

2ndGenGuy
12-08-2006, 07:26 PM
I don't think he means that it reverses the rust back into metal. :lol:

HondaBoy
12-08-2006, 08:04 PM
i've used PB blaster on bolts and door hinges. works great for loosening rust i found. but my friend said he sprayed it onto another guys trailer hitch that was rusted to hell. more or less soaked the hell out of it, left it over night. the next day it was pretty much rust free. he said what had dripped off had eaten up the asphalt. lol. anyways, i'm going to see what kind of new products we are getting in my body shop classes for rust removal.

speedpenguin
12-10-2006, 06:12 AM
I've heard of this before. Maybe I should check it out.

reanimator420
12-10-2006, 06:49 AM
you know you can spray it on your tires to make them stickier? or something like that. i dont have a can close to see but read the back

MessyHonda
12-10-2006, 10:12 AM
you know you can spray it on your tires to make them stickier? or something like that. i dont have a can close to see but read the back

lol..never heard of that.

offthahook
12-10-2006, 12:14 PM

Huh? It's in a jug, not a can. Do you mean PB Blaster? I wouldn't spray this deruster on the tires; it's $20/gallon.

reanimator420
12-10-2006, 12:59 PM
idn i have no pb can to read but it does something to tires