PDA

View Full Version : Cracked windshield

AC439
09-03-2002, 08:42 AM
:crying:
Well, I knew it's going to happen and it finally happened. My 86 LXi got a cracked windshield. My insurace doesn't covers it since they don't sell comprehensive for a car older than 10 yrs. Can anybody suggest the cheapest way to get it replaced? I don't think I can do it myself. And everywhere around (Charlotte, NC) charge an arm and a leg. Please suggest. - AC

Vanilla Sky
09-03-2002, 08:51 AM
around here, it's lie $135 to have one installed... that's the windshield glass, too

Derick

87accordlx
09-03-2002, 08:51 AM
how long is the crack?
if it's fairly small there are some places that will fix it for pretty cheap, if not it might be cheaper to get a windshield from a junkyard

AC439
09-03-2002, 09:35 AM
87accordlx: The crack is more than 2 ft long so I think I need to get it replaced.

Wanilla Sky: I wish I am living in FL. I used to live in Tampa and things were much cheaper.

I'm searching the yellow pages now. Does this come under body repair?

POS carb
09-03-2002, 09:47 AM
Get the glass replaced, you'll be amazed at the difference in clarity when you drive it again! Your eyes tend to blur out all the tiny little nicks in the glass (which also cause more irritation when you're driving with the sun in your eyes)

AC439
09-03-2002, 10:31 AM
Very true ! The glass is bothering me when I'm driving facing the sun. I just happened to see an auto glass truck outside the office and I asked the guy to get his office number to call. I hope I can get it done within $200. Here in Charlotte, NC, things are expensive.

DBMaster
09-03-2002, 11:16 AM
$200 should be about right. I have always heard that you should stick with a windshield made by either PPG or LOF. If you get one that is really cheap and not made by those two big reputable companies you might possibly end up with one that will not hold up.

P.S. I know what those guys mean about the little nicks and pits. I can really see mine when the sun hits it just right. I have been tempted a few times to just replace mine for that reason.

I would be willing to be money that the rubber coating on my top trim would flake off, though. You might want to think about buying a new piece of trim before you do it.

AC439
09-03-2002, 02:14 PM
I'm digging through the yellow pages now. The listing actually goes under "Glass" not automobile, go figure. I haven't started calling them yet. I definitely will pay attention to what manufacturer they are going to use.

The piece of the plastic at the top trim had fallen apart two years ago and I had it replaced with new clips. Tks.

smufguy
09-04-2002, 07:10 PM
look at it, u might be able to it yourself. check paul's website. dude, i was in charlotte this may and shit cant find a junkyard there.

88WhiteLX-i
09-04-2002, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by AC439
:crying:
Well, I knew it's going to happen and it finally happened. My 86 LXi got a cracked windshield. My insurace doesn't covers it since they don't sell comprehensive for a car older than 10 yrs. Can anybody suggest the cheapest way to get it replaced? I don't think I can do it myself. And everywhere around (Charlotte, NC) charge an arm and a leg. Please suggest. - AC

That is so fucking gay that they won't give you comprehensive insurance. I have full insurance with glass breakage and mine's an 1988. This is in Massachusetts.

AC439
09-05-2002, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by smufguy
look at it, u might be able to it yourself. check paul's website. dude, i was in charlotte this may and shit cant find a junkyard there.

Don't think I'm going to DIY with the glass. You're right on that, there is not a lot of junkyard in Charlotte. When you find one, their price is always expensive. I hate this town.

AC439
09-05-2002, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by 88WhiteLX-i

That is so *beep* gay that they won't give you comprehensive insurance. I have full insurance with glass breakage and mine's an 1988. This is in Massachusetts.

Yeah, I have been seeing all kinds of ridiculus things ever since I moved into this town. Everything is political and arrogant here. Nobody here drives anything older than 10 years. So I think they just don't give that option for insurance.