PDA

View Full Version : My caliper fell off yesterday! And I witnessed a killer wreck!

POS carb
09-03-2002, 08:54 AM
I knew something was loose up there, I even pulled over to check the upper control arms and the ball joints, nothing, then as I'm all the way by the Mexican border I notice the car is struggling and there's smoke and I'm like "Oh shit my brakes failed!"
One of the bolts had come off and it was rocking back and forth, not only that but it also snagged the line and ripped it out. I got an interior screw and plugged the line and took out the caliper with my bare hands and luckily I still had Justin's duckt tape in the trunk so I put some on the line for reinforcement and drove home some 20 miles on 3 brakes (well more like 1 brake and 2 POS drums). What a goodbye from my car!

Oh and on the way down there I saw a car cut accross 3 lanes doing a good 70-80 mph, lose it, clip another car, and hit the wall. It looked bad but I couldn't stop, it was an off ramp and I was in the far lane, other people who were getting off were there to help but I think someone died cuz they closed the highway in both directions there and the news was there and there were flares everywhere. Made me think, "Damn, life could all be over just b/c they were in a hurry and didn't want to miss their exit."
:(

POS carb
09-03-2002, 08:57 AM
Oh my question.... should I get some stainless steel brake lines?
I've been wanting to put 88-89 LXi brakes up front cuz they're bigger than mine and I want to know if there are different part #'s for the lines for DX/LX and for LXi and I don't want to order good shit for my car only to replace it soon.

Also who has had good experience with their lines and where did u buy them and how much?
Kind of wordy but I'd REALLY appreciate the help. I could order the parts today so that they arrive when I get to Miami.

Vanilla Sky
09-03-2002, 09:02 AM
goodbye from your car? i thought you were bringing it...

Derick

POS carb
09-03-2002, 09:42 AM
I am, I just mean like "What a way to spend my last night in S.D."

87accordlxi
09-03-2002, 10:12 AM
kinda reminds me of this weekend when i saw a older Jimmy blow a rear tire and almost roll over on the freeway. then my alternator died. ok so our stories arent that similar

OldSchoolSwap
09-03-2002, 03:34 PM
The same shit happened to me onece but not as bad. I had finished installing new pads in front and forgot to tie up the lower bolt, i just finger tightened it. The upper one was already tight but right before i was about to tie up the bottom, I got distracted by my friend showing up at my house.

Then i came back and installed the wheels and so on. While i was cruising at South beach i kept on hearing this "clunk" every time i hit the brakes so i inspected each caliper only to find the lower bolt missing and me taking a shit!!!

I snugged it back in with a loose bolt and drove verry slow without using my brakes (e brakes only) and made it safe.

To answer your question on the lines, i'm not sure on the size of the hoses. But if there diffrent just buy a used one if you can't afford to upgrade NOW, and that'll run cheaper.

night
09-03-2002, 05:36 PM
the SS lines wont be any different. honda always uses the same size there.

but do the DX/LX's have the same size axles as the LXi ?
the 88-89's may all have the same size but knowing honda the 86-87's may be the same size as the lude. which are smaller.
thats why i had to put in the accord diff in my tranny along with the hub swap.

A20A1
09-03-2002, 07:08 PM
duct tape ont he brake lines... I still have some on my new ones... I figured it will keep the rubber from drying out and cracking like the old ones did.

POS carb
09-03-2002, 07:28 PM
Hey Juan where do you get your parts down there?

OldSchoolSwap
09-04-2002, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by POS carb
Hey Juan where do you get your parts down there? Well, i get parts from alot of diffrent places, mostly the internet. But localy i get part from Dynamic Turbo, Murray's speed shop and thats about it.

carotman
09-04-2002, 09:55 AM
If you want the 88-89 LX-i brakes in the front, you will need other parts

The Master cyl (which is bigger)
Both front hubs. The calipers don't mount in the same place.

GreenMachine
09-04-2002, 02:15 PM
So to upgrade to the 1" bigger discs off an 89 you would also need the master cylinder ? Is that cause you have to swap to 89 calipers too ?:cool:

night
09-04-2002, 05:26 PM
i had to swap the booster too.
but the bigger master cylinder is so the brakes dont have such a long throw before they engage.
not mandatory, but it wont seem like much of an upgrade if you lose the pedal feel.