PDA

View Full Version : Accord 89 form east europe(PTC problem)

kubior
12-07-2006, 09:15 AM
Hello.
My name is Kuba I come from Poland.
Last time I bought Honda Accord (you can see it here http://www.kubior.fotosik.pl ) And I have a problem with PTC gauge. I have change 30A fuse but the new one broke downa as the ealier one.
Do you have any ideas how to repair it? (is the PTC gauge damage?)
Sorry for mistakes.
Kuba

MessyHonda
12-07-2006, 09:18 AM
:welcome: to the site. i say check your wires and make sure non of them are thouching ground because that can cause the fuse to blow.

kubior
12-07-2006, 09:41 AM
I checked. All wires are in isolation. Do you know how it exactly work?

MessyHonda
12-07-2006, 09:48 AM
I checked. All wires are in isolation. Do you know how it exactly work?

download the manual. here is the link http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25137

shepherd79
12-07-2006, 11:01 AM
what the hell is PTC gauge?

kubior
12-08-2006, 08:26 AM
I don`t know. I didn`t find anything like that in the manual?:(

shepherd79
12-08-2006, 09:24 AM
so how do you know it is PTC gauge when you don't even know what it is.
what exactly is the problem with your car?

kubior
12-08-2006, 10:00 AM
I use wrong word. I mean fuse saying guage.:((my english is not so good)
The problem is the PTC fuse(I don`t know what is PTC) have brokedowna- destroy. I install new one and it broke downa-destroy again. I don`t know what is going on?
Do U have PTC fuse in yours cars fuse box?

Cheeseburger
12-08-2006, 10:01 AM
hi welcome to the site maing!

kubior
12-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Is somone from europe here?

POS carb
12-08-2006, 10:17 AM
positive temperature coefficient (PTC) ?
Maybe the temperature gauge?

ANyways...
According to the shop manual, Fuel and the Temperature gauge gets power from the # 2 dashboard fuse (10 A) and #25 engine fuse(40 A)

If your car is burning 30 A fuses then there is a short circuit. You must correct the short circuit.

What is the # of the problem fuse and is this fuse in the engine or in the dashboard?

kubior
12-08-2006, 11:36 AM
On the cover of fuse box in information that PTC is 30A so it is correct.
The temperatue gauge work correct.

POS carb
12-08-2006, 12:22 PM
actually I think the PTC is the heater for the intake manifold, (the black spacer underneath the carburetor) unplug it and see if the fuse still blows.

88Accord-DX
12-08-2006, 04:54 PM
PTC=positive temperature coefficient

Is a solid state device that opens a circuit when an overcurrent condition occurs. It's an electronic circuit breaker, it will reset when power to that motor is shut off.

In some sensors there is a thermister, a solid-state resistor. The PTC sensor resistance of the thermomistor increases as the temperature increases.

My guess it is some kind of sensor in the climate control system. (not sure or where it is on your car)

kubior
12-10-2006, 07:10 AM
Thanks to all for help. Iwill check it all once again andinform you about my discover.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-10-2006, 04:14 PM
PTC (or Positive Temperature Coefficient) may refer to a vacuum or pressure sensing device. These cars have an atmospheric pressure sensor located inside the cabin behind the glovebox. The shop manual has testing information on page 12-38. This sensor relays information to the Engine control unit. Check for a short circuit between pins C9 and C12 with the ignition key in the ON position. If there's a short, start tracing wiring and/or replace the sensor. It would be necessary to know whether the car is fuel injected or not. HTH

russiankid
12-10-2006, 05:07 PM
PTC (or Positive Temperature Coefficient) may refer to a vacuum or pressure sensing device. These cars have an atmospheric pressure sensor located inside the cabin behind the glovebox. The shop manual has testing information on page 12-38. This sensor relays information to the Engine control unit. Check for a short circuit between pins C9 and C12 with the ignition key in the ON position. If there's a short, start tracing wiring and/or replace the sensor. It would be necessary to know whether the car is fuel injected or not. HTH

By clicking the link he has provided you can clearly see it is not fuel injected.

MessyHonda
12-10-2006, 06:54 PM
lol :Owned: by lil bro

russiankid
12-10-2006, 08:24 PM
lol :Owned: by lil bro
lol....i was just stating facts. It wasn't meant to own anyone.

Cheeseburger
12-10-2006, 08:25 PM

:Owned: to messy

MessyHonda
12-10-2006, 08:31 PM

i knoe i was just messing with you...lol you are a good guy :thumbup:

and cheese...you scared that im almost catching up? lol see i strike feer in you...lol overall i have the power now.

russiankid
12-10-2006, 08:33 PM
i knoe i was just messing with you...lol you are a good guy :thumbup:
and cheese...you scared that im almost catching up? lol see i strike feer in you...lol overall i have the power now.
:lol:

Cheeseburger
12-10-2006, 08:35 PM
ha! the only way u were able to get many post was because the deleted a few post of mine

MessyHonda
12-10-2006, 08:39 PM
ha! the only way u were able to get many post was because the deleted a few post of mine

yeah cuz they were cah post...lol

Cheeseburger
12-10-2006, 08:44 PM
ha!

MessyHonda
12-10-2006, 08:51 PM
ha!

lol

Cheeseburger
12-10-2006, 08:52 PM
pics would be nice!

MessyHonda
12-10-2006, 08:57 PM
pics would be nice!

Hello.
My name is Kuba I come from Poland.
Last time I bought Honda Accord (you can see it here http://www.kubior.fotosik.pl ) And I have a problem with PTC gauge. I have change 30A fuse but the new one broke downa as the ealier one.
Do you have any ideas how to repair it? (is the PTC gauge damage?)
Sorry for mistakes.
Kuba

here you go you whore!

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-11-2006, 11:42 AM
So, now that our dear post whores have educated our new european forum member about post whoring, shall we get back on topic? Other than the fuse blowing, what issues are observed? That 30A fuse is not just for that one device but likely for an entire circuit. By knowing what it operates, we can compare the electrical system to what US cars have. Gotta remember that cars meant for various markets may come with locale-specific stickers and as such not translate easily to other languages. A picture of the fuse box sticker would probably also help. Perhaps someone like Greatdane in Europe can chime in?

thegreatdane
12-11-2006, 12:22 PM
I can not find any specific info on it, but it is emissions system related. I'm guessing the "PTC heater" is located somewhere close to/on the carburetor. It has one wire going to it which is white/blue.
I think your engine is an A20A1 engine and that is not so common in europe.

kubior
12-13-2006, 02:35 AM
My car in imported from Austria.
I probobly bought this car with the blowed fuse so I don`t know how did it work when the fuse was ok. But all the time car seems to work correct but as I said I dont know how it will work when the fuse will be good.

russiankid
12-13-2006, 04:35 AM
My guess would be that you have a short somewhere.

POS carb
12-14-2006, 02:17 PM
As I mentioned earlier, the PTC is probably referring to the carburetor heater.
I noticed it on the fusebox of my LX. 30 amps is a lot of current, there are few factory parts that will use that kind of power, the heater is one of them.
If the heater element is broken it could have shorted itself out. Disconnect it and replace the fuse, if it doesn't blow you can thank me. If it does you can blow me.
j/k :)

Interestingly, white/blue is also the color for the interior lighting and the cigarette lighter, you might want check those also, they may be affected.