PDA

View Full Version : Tis the season to.... awww crap...

Sabz5150
12-08-2006, 04:45 AM
Yup, time for another Sabz-o-issue!

The ol girl hates the cold. Started her up this morning (about 23F outside) and she smoked like a FIEND for a few moments. Engine sounded just fine even though it was revved high because of how friggin cold it was. Problem went away when the engine warmed up.

Sounds like valve seals/guides. Time for a new head? The smoke was white and didn't reek of burned oil/coolant/etc.

Tailfin
12-08-2006, 04:59 AM
It's possible you were just burning off fuel. Have you ever replaced your injectors? Old injectors tend to develop small issues, not the least of which is leaking. If they "drip" after the car is shut off, you'll have liquid fuel going into the combustion chamber (especially if that intake valve is open). An air/fuel mix that is rich will cause the black smoke we all know of, but if it's enough that there's actually liquid being pushed out the exhaust, you'll see white smoke. You could be burning that off. Does it start right up?

I'm not sure about valve seals and such...but I think that would burn oil...then wouldn't the smoke be blue? Bit foggy on this one :-P.

Jasonf860
12-08-2006, 05:03 AM
Could also be a stuck PCV valve alowing small amounts of oil into the cylinder until the car warms up and it unsticks.

Sabz5150
12-08-2006, 05:22 AM
It's possible you were just burning off fuel. Have you ever replaced your injectors? Old injectors tend to develop small issues, not the least of which is leaking. If they "drip" after the car is shut off, you'll have liquid fuel going into the combustion chamber (especially if that intake valve is open). An air/fuel mix that is rich will cause the black smoke we all know of, but if it's enough that there's actually liquid being pushed out the exhaust, you'll see white smoke. You could be burning that off. Does it start right up?
I'm not sure about valve seals and such...but I think that would burn oil...then wouldn't the smoke be blue? Bit foggy on this one :-P.

It starts right up even on the coldest days. I do have an AFC running at a +10% mix, so I am guessing that openloop + that is probably causing my smoke issue.

Sabz5150
12-08-2006, 05:23 AM
Could also be a stuck PCV valve alowing small amounts of oil into the cylinder until teh car warms up and it unsticks.

Wouldn't surprise me :)

Cheeseburger
12-08-2006, 07:49 AM
poor baby man 23f wow! thats just to dam cold. i dont blame her

Jasonf860
12-08-2006, 08:08 AM
poor baby man 23f wow! thats just to dam cold. i dont blame her
It was 14 deg f at my house this morning and my LX started without a hitch. I would have kissed the car for it but I was afraid my lips would freeze to it!

Cheeseburger
12-08-2006, 08:12 AM
lol... that would have been funny, its only 58 here right now :)

MessyHonda
12-08-2006, 08:16 AM
wow that sucks...my car smokes in the cold for about 2 mins..then it goes away...i just think its the exhaust pipe condensation

shepherd79
12-08-2006, 09:17 AM
white smoke could be coolant or in your case since it doesn't smell it is condensation in the air. Since you live a lot closer to the ocean, your air is probably a lot more humid.
as long as smoke isn't blue (valve seals or valve guides) you are good.
check the coolant for oil and oil for coolant presents.

Toneloc5145
12-08-2006, 09:29 AM
Are you sure it was smoke, and not just steam. I know my car (because its a carb and the high idle)makes a lot of steam until the idle kicks down. I'll take pics one day. And I'm surprised my car likes this cold weather (below 20 here) too, but it runs better to me.

88Accord-DX
12-08-2006, 08:43 PM
Probably just condesation in the exhaust system. In cold weather, the tailpipe will look like it is blowing white smoke for quite some time. (don't sweat it)

Ichiban
12-08-2006, 11:07 PM
you people should come up to canada. round here, we can tell which cars havent been warmed up yet by the clouds of steam billowing out. its normal

Oldblueaccord
12-08-2006, 11:08 PM
Probably just condesation in the exhaust system. In cold weather, the tailpipe will look like it is blowing white smoke for quite some time. (don't sweat it)

agreed.

you can adjust the fast idle if its too high. I like mine around 1500 rpm. The fast idle valve can be adjusted from the top plate. remove it and screw the plunger down I think with a quarter or a big screw driver. Id lubed it before you screw it JIC you young guys don't know that stuff. :eek5:

wp

russiankid
12-09-2006, 06:05 PM
My car does this in about 40F weather. While warming up at 2000rpm there is a lot of white smoke, but it doesnt smell like anything. I live in a state that has a lot of humidity, so im guessing you just have condensation.

jschatte
12-09-2006, 06:13 PM
you people should come up to canada. round here, we can tell which cars havent been warmed up yet by the clouds of steam billowing out. its normal

yeah, i know what your talking about, its been -26C or -14F up here and all i do is plug in my car everynight and warm it up for about 10mins in the morning and it is good to go.

when i start my car in the morning iget alot of white smoke, but it calms down after the car is warmed up